Thinking About The Army Game

emmitt01

I'm seriously considering making the Army game but I have a few reservations. First, unfortunately all of the people I usually travel with are not planning to make this trip or are just plain broke-asses. Second, I've got the flight cost down to $250 and the hotel (near Laquardia) down to $105 but when I figure in food, cabs, game ticket, etc it becomes a bit daunting for a lonely traveler.

Any suggestions on how to minimize cost this late in the game?

here's some info i found on the usma page:

Railroad

Metro-North has rail service from Grand Central Station in mid-town Manhattan, up the east bank of the Hudson. Trains to Garrison, NY, directly across the river from West Point, take approx 1 hour and 10 minutes and cost a little under $15. If you don’t have a car, get off at Peekskill, one stop south of Garrison, where cabs are often waiting. You may want to call to reserve a Highland Falls or Peekskill cab. Driving time from Garrison or Peekskill to West Point is approximately 20 minutes.

Bus

Short Line Bus offers daily bus service from the New York City Port Authority, near Times Square in midtown Manhattan, to the West Point Visitors Center; one-way trip takes 1 hour 40 minutes and costs approx $15. Short Line also has day trip packages with sightseeing and local discounts.

I'm looking forward to the game as I will be in NYC on business anyway. The bus will certainly get you there, but it makes a number of stops along the way. The train trip is quite scenic but it will be a bit too early for the leaves to be changing, unfortunately.

I have not verified this yet, but I have heard that there is some sort of boat service on game days that will transfer you directly to West Point from a railway stop on the other side of the Hudson. This would certainly be more convenient than taking a cab from Peekskill. If I learn anything about this, I'll let everyone know.