Rebels With A Cause

dentUNiTe

I would assume Abner's most embarrassing moment in sports was when he won the coin toss in the Dallas Texans / Houston Oilers AFL championship game. Despite winning the toss, Abner chose to kick off in the sudden death "5th" quarter. Dallas went on to win anyway, but I recall thinking the game was lost.

Edited by greenjoe

The best part of that show is when Abner talks about the Texans playning the Boston Patriots and going for a two-point conversion with no time left to win the game as Patriot fans ring the field. When the ball is snapped, a fan runs into the EZ and bats Cotton Davidson's pass down. The refs pick up the ball and call the conversion no good while Abner is yelling 'hey, hey wait a minute!' They show the film and the fan is clearly visible.

I think the refs feared being engulfed in a riotous mob of drunken Bahstonians.

I would assume Abner's most embarrassing moment in sports was when he won the coin toss in the Dallas Texans / Houston Oilers AFL championship game. Despite winning the toss, Abner chose to kick off in the sudden death "5th" quarter. Dallas went on to win anyway, but I recall thinking the game was lost.

I attended that game in person...those were the days. Was a member of the Dallas Texans "Huddle Club" as a kid. received free end zone tickets which were great as you could move seats to almost anywhere in the Cotton Bowl as there were so few fans there. My Dad and I even started a fire in the stands to keep warm at one game out of some papers we found...yes, it was THAT cold and that few people...no one even noticed. The Texans came up into the stands after one game to thank the fans who came out to the game...not that many hands to shake. I loved the Texans as a kid and was really sad when the Cowboys "won the toss" and the Texans moved to Kansas City.