Mean Green Club Membership

KRAM1

I was lucky enough to enjoy a happy hour this last week with the great SUMG and Dan Johnston of the UNT Athletic Dept. Dan has recently joined the staff from the U. of Maryland, and he is really excited about being here, and thinks UNT is poised to make a big leap forward in the next few months and years. As someone who comes to UNT from the "outside" he is not "burdened" with the old nor the myriad of complaints that some seem to have about UNT. He sees nothing but what can be and what is going on right now. It was a very refreshing "Happy Hour" for more than one reason!

One of the things Dan is charged with doing is looking at the Mean Green Club and working with Jon Burkett (and others) to increase membership and enhance benefits. There is a building campaign to greatly increase membership in the Mean Green Club. I hope I am not "out of school" for mentioning this, but Dan indicated that Mean Green Club membership was in the range of 200 or so...SUMG, please correct me if my memory of current membership numbers is off.

Folks, I almost fell out of my chair and dropped my adult beverage. It's easy to see why UNT struggles to match some of the benefits and extras that other universities have when you see how low the support is in the Mean green Club. The Mean Green Club (like a majority of other Universities) depends upon such memberships to fund any number of athletic dept. initiatives.

UNT should have 2000 Mean Green Club members, not 200.

If you have not had a chance to meet Dan Johnston, I would highly recommend that you give him a call at the Athletic Dept. and introduce yourself. He is looking for ideas and has plenty of great ideas himself as to how to increase membership and improve benefits for membership.

WELCOME DAN! I I really welcome your appreciation for all the great things UNT is already doing and how much even better UNT will be in the very near future. It is great to have a team of professional development officers for UNT Athletics. Welcome to the Mean Green Nation and family.

GO MEAN GREEN!

Speaking of - I don't think I got a renewal notice this year.

It is kind of mindblowing we have so few members. I never would have thought it was THAT low.

Some of those members must be well over the $250 - $500 donation level considering how many people there are on the deck at times.

Some of those members must be well over the $250 - $500 donation level considering how many people there are on the deck at times.

Don't all season ticket holders in D,E,F have to be a member to buy tickets?

KRAM.....your memory is off. The number Dan quoted was 465...not 200.

Still way too low.....we need over a thousand.....but it's not 200.

BTW...conferences take things like...support group (MGC in our case) and season ticket sales into consideration when considering new members. So we really need more MGC members and season ticket holders, if we want to be taken seriously as a FBS program.

• Upvote 2

Folks, I almost fell out of my chair and dropped my adult beverage. It's easy to see why UNT struggles to match some of the benefits and extras that other universities have when you see how low the support is in the Mean green Club. The Mean Green Club (like a majority of other Universities) depends upon such memberships to fund any number of athletic dept. initiatives.

UNT should have 2000 Mean Green Club members, not 200.

Maybe the adult beverage was the reason KRAM fell off his chair and misremembered the number?

• Upvote 3

I went to the UNT bookstore today and noticed that UNT has a whole line of clothes dedicated to the Football program. They have shirts with the helmet on the front with motivation wording on the back. Also couldn't happen to notice the sharp black Ts with the complete football schedule listed on the back by Jersey color (white/green) we will wear for each game. It actually looks like we have invested talent into creating better apparel that may get more notices than that typical grey or green shirt with the Simple NORTH TEXAS Football wording on the front.

As far as membership and season ticket goes. Until the Athletic Department does more to promote group outings where seasons ticket holders and FUTURE ticket holders (also referred to as students) share a common spot to enjoy matters related to North Texas football (outside of the stadium) get comfortable with 500 or less Mean Green Club members. We are not at the level of high profile alumni renting out conference rooms on game day to entertain guests at a black tie affairs like are larger counterpart friends to the south. So why try to establish ourselves or compare ourselves to other FBS schools by interacting with a few Mean Green Members to represent the voice of 495? I would love to give my opinion or actually attend a Football Cookout and interact with more the individuals I arrive with. However, talking football with an unfamiliar face is unheard of at UNT and away games with as little as 30 people enjoying an athletic thrown tailgate. 495 Mean Green Club strong will turn into 2000 a lot faster than giving gifts to current club members. Who ever ends up working to strengthen fan and alumni support needs to start with current fans, but future alum. Im already a club member, give me incentive to the class of 2011.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Still way too low.....we need over a thousand.....but it's not 200.

BTW...conferences take things like...support group (MGC in our case) and season ticket sales into consideration when considering new members. So we really need more MGC members and season ticket holders, if we want to be taken seriously as a FBS program.

Thanks, SUMG...I thought that might have been a bit low...maybe that was the number who have purchased Club Level seating to date...anyway, even at 466 the number is way too low.

Hmmmmmm....perhaps it was that adult beverage...or two or three that got me "confused"... :huh:

I went to the UNT bookstore today and noticed that UNT has a whole line of clothes dedicated to the Football program. They have shirts with the helmet on the front with motivation wording on the back. Also couldn't happen to notice the sharp black Ts with the complete football schedule listed on the back by Jersey color (white/green) we will wear for each game. It actually looks like we have invested talent into creating better apparel that may get more notices than that typical grey or green shirt with the Simple NORTH TEXAS Football wording on the front.

Unfortunately that new apparel has not made it to Voertman's. I was there last Wednesday and the selection was sparse. They used to be a leader in UNT clothing and merchandise, no more it seems. :(

Unfortunately that new apparel has not made it to Voertman's. I was there last Wednesday and the selection was sparse. They used to be a leader in UNT clothing and merchandise, no more it seems. :(

The Target off the Loop has a isle of nothing but UNT gear. Boxer shorts , pennants , shirts , even UNT notebook covers. My wife surprised me and bought my son a little UNT jersey the other day. It was a nice to walk in from a hard day of work and be greeded by my little man decked out in his brand new # 5 jersey !

Edited by NT03
  • Upvote 1

As far as membership and season ticket goes. Until the Athletic Department does more to promote group outings where seasons ticket holders and FUTURE ticket holders (also referred to as students) share a common spot to enjoy matters related to North Texas football (outside of the stadium) get comfortable with 500 or less Mean Green Club members. We are not at the level of high profile alumni renting out conference rooms on game day to entertain guests at a black tie affairs like are larger counterpart friends to the south. So why try to establish ourselves or compare ourselves to other FBS schools by interacting with a few Mean Green Members to represent the voice of 495? I would love to give my opinion or actually attend a Football Cookout and interact with more the individuals I arrive with. However, talking football with an unfamiliar face is unheard of at UNT and away games with as little as 30 people enjoying an athletic thrown tailgate. 495 Mean Green Club strong will turn into 2000 a lot faster than giving gifts to current club members. Who ever ends up working to strengthen fan and alumni support needs to start with current fans, but future alum. Im already a club member, give me incentive to the class of 2011.

did you mean you saw this shirt? Looks like Champion is now increasing the amount of UNT product line they offer.

New shirt