Troy Has A Bunch Of Signees That Won't Qualify

MeanGreen61

Troy just rolls the dice.

http://www2.dothaneagle.com/sports/2010/jul/30/troy-football-players-report-ready-work-ar-645273/

Qualifying updates: ... Waycross, Ga., defensive end Adrian Mack didn’t qualify and is headed for junior college, along with Marianna defensive back Fidel Montgomery and Prattville wide receiver Corey Shelton. Other February signees who won’t be here this fall are running back Mike Smith (Tallassee), offensive linemen Mark Beard (Birmingham), Chris Hawkins (Florence) and Jeron Boykin (Thomaston) and defensive backs Ethan Davis (Panama City), Terrance Evans (Bristol, Fla.) and Charles Hayes (Thomasville, Ga.).

• Upvote 1

Great post untcampbell.

It is obvious that this happens every year or they could not continue to offer 30+ ships a season. I also don't believe for a second Troy's contention that they always have scholarships available to those who qualify. It would take Nostradamus to predict how many players would qualify out of their new recruits, and players being gray-shirted or at preps or jucos.

Troy is the football power of the Belt, but it is really disappointed how they have got there. They may be doing everything according to the rules, but IMO their tactics give the Belt a black eye. Yes, OU, SMU, USC and countless others have done far worse; but frankly Troy is the one conference team that I wish were in another conference and that has nothing to do with their success on the field.

I really don't see what Troy does is bad. Most of these kids know they are a major longshot to qualify at a D-I school. Troy gives them a place to sign with. Who can question the results? Troy is year in landing the best talent in the Belt and mostly winning championships. Is it odd when they announce 100 signees yes. But do far I have to say it works.

I really don't see what Troy does is bad. Most of these kids know they are a major longshot to qualify at a D-I school. Troy gives them a place to sign with. Who can question the results? Troy is year in landing the best talent in the Belt and mostly winning championships. Is it odd when they announce 100 signees yes. But do far I have to say it works.

It's bad because it is disingenous. If all of those kids kicked ass and ended up qualifying (which at Troy, isn't hard to do) -- there wouldn't be enough spots for them. They would be shown the door anyhow. In fact, maybe that happens, but it is reported as "going to a JC instead."

NCAA Legislative Council takes steps to curb oversigning

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/portal/ncaahome?WCM_GLOBAL_CONTEXT=/ncaa/ncaa/ncaa+news/ncaa+news+online/2010/division+i/council+takes+steps+to+curb+over-signing+in+football

EXERPT

Proposal No. 2009-48, sponsored by the Southeastern Conference, limits to 28 the number of Football Bowl Subdivision student-athletes who may sign a National Letter of Intent or an institutional offer of financial aid from the first signing day through May 31. The measure will be considered adopted at the end of the Division I Board of Directors meeting on January 16, with an effective date of August 1, 2010.

Edited by MeanGreen61

Well, because if you are Troy and can stomach signing a player you know has slim or no chance of qualifying academically, you are hoping that you can park the non-qualifier at one of the junior colleges you have a good relationship with and in a couple years he will be able to qualify.

Then you tell the kid ‘remember, we were the only school that took a chance on you,’ and get him to come to Troy.