Looks Like Jeff Bryant Is The Man

MeanGreen61

It seems like this (apparent) hire is about continuity. If we were hiring a new OL coach at the end of the season, we could hire a coach who would bring in a whole different set of blocking schemes and terminology. Less than two weeks away from fall camp, it is key that the new coach can simply pick up where Lefty left off. I doubt anyone could do that better than Jeff Bryant.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

It seems like this (apparent) hire is about continuity. If we were hiring a new OL coach at the end of the season, we could hire a coach who would bring in a whole different set of blocking schemes and terminology. Less than two weeks away from fall camp, it is key that the new coach can simply pick up where Lefty left off. I doubt anyone could do that better than Jeff Bryant.

What about Canales' old line coach from South Florida? I would think the guy knows how to coach blocking for Chico's offense. The guy was a successful O line coach in the Big East. Lets not sell ourselves short. I'm not sold on Bryant being our best option just yet. I hope the people doing the hiring stop, take a deep breath, and make sure they have really covered all their bases before settling on this guy.

• Upvote 2

Thoughts on UNT going with Bryant

http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/archives/2010/07/thoughts-on-unt-going-with-bry.html

EXERPT

Bryant has been at UNT, knows the players and the basics of what the Mean Green is trying to do offensively.

And he knows the culture of UNT.

There is something to be said for that at any school.

I go to practice every day, so I remember Bryant. He was attached to Spencer's hip most of the time.

• Downvote 1

Knowing the culure at North Texas is huge for any coach. It's my belief that Coach Dickey had absolutely no idea about the culture at North Texas when he took that job.

"If UNT shocks the world and wins seven games, Bryant is the guy who came in at the last minute and helped save the day. If UNT tanks, he still has an FBS stop on his resume."

....and someone will have a built-in excuse for another losing season.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Anybody else notice the newly formed competition between Vito and Troy Phillips? Are they both going to be the "first" to report every story from now on? lol. Either way, I see a lot more coverage from now on, and daddy likey.

ok, back to OL coach talk.

• Upvote 1

Anybody else notice the newly formed competition between Vito and Troy Phillips? Are they both going to be the "first" to report every story from now on? lol. Either way, I see a lot more coverage from now on, and daddy likey.

I was thinking the samething :D

Edited by NT03
  • Upvote 1

I'm glad Troy Phillips is back on the beat. Brett Vito, in my opinion, has done a good job, but I noticed a couple of times this summer when he was really posting things that this forum does well enough, like posting smack talk from the private school to the south. Competition is a good thing.

• Upvote 1