Helmet Color, Troy Signs Player With Legal History

Brett Vito

DRC

Not any surprise that Blakeney resorts to this tactic. If you base it entirely on results on the field, it has worked for him, but this kind of thing probably will be used against troy which already has a number of drawbacks whenever additional conference realignment becomes a possibility. I'd have to think that if there are any openings in c-usa that the private school presidents would take a dim view of troy as a candidate.

This deal on signing the bouncebacks with an off the field history is touch and go to say the least. I think at Troy with the academics the way they are, Coach Blakney has a shot at anyone and doesn't really care who they bring in. Now, when they get onto campus at Troy they seem to take care of their stuff, go to class, and obviously play good football. Someone made a good point about conference expansion. I'd guarantee you that Troy is not high on any radar screens.

As for bouncebacks and UNT, it's a balancing act for Dodge and his program. The academics at NT are certainly better and more established than those at Troy. With the recent APR issues, the football staff is careful with who they select in the recruiting process. They can't take too big of risks; but at the same time you have to give kids opportunities. Everyone was so excited about William Cole being on UNT's campus. I was one of them. The bottom line with William was that his off the field record was very clean. His performance in the classroom was very poor, and that came back to bite us. But, in that instance did Dodge and them do the right thing in giving him a chance? Absolutely, no questions asked. Now look at DJ Jones out of Denison. Got in some trouble with the law. Academics are good enough for NCAA requirements. If you evaluate the situation and find out he was guilty by association, and seems sincere about everything; why not give him a shot? Dodge and his staff have worked hard to raise the efficacy of the football program in terms of academics and off the field issues; and have done a great job. There's no reason to sacrifice the fundamental principles that your program is built on and take a flyer on a super talented kid with a tainted past.

Now, the Elder kid that Troy signed. Yeah, he may be an absolute force on the field. I would not take that risk personally if I were Dodge and them. You don't want a renegade program with kids getting in trouble all of the time in my opinion; and if you take too many Elder types you could end up being in the spotlight for all the wrong reasons.

• Upvote 1