Sbc Conference Call Notes

SUMG

Nathan Tune is in the midst of a really good off-season and has pushed his weight from 205 to 225 pounds. That should really help Tune in terms of his durability. Dodge said the added weight has also improved his arm strength.

UNT's offensive line is pretty much set with the exception of the right guard spot where Coleman Feeley, Jeremy Bean and Troy Franklin are all competing for the starting job.

AJ Penson and Daniel Prior are competing for the starting job at middle linebacker.

Dodge continues to be high on JUCO cornerback Steven Ford and freshman defensive end Aaron Bellazine.

I thought it was interesting that Rickey Bustle went on record as saying that he thinks the coaches poll is by far the most accurate out there. Bustle said he and the rest of the coaches in the league know the league better than anyone.

If true, coaches picked UNT 8th, we're in trouble. At what point does RV go from Plan A to Plan B?

Rickey Bustle? Has anyone in the Belt wasted more opportunities than Rickey Bustle?

Chico Canales is going to open some eyes. And, for the likes of Rickey Bustle, Chico Canales' offense may spell career change. Because once we run though, over, and around ULa-La, the Rajun Cajun faithful are going to be looking for new leadership. You can stick Arkansas State in that category, too, while we're on the subject, kids.

Wow. 1800 posts. That ought to just about do it.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Upvote 1

Nathan Tune is in the midst of a really good off-season and has pushed his weight from 205 to 225 pounds. That should really help Tune in terms of his durability. Dodge said the added weight has also improved his arm strength.

UNT's offensive line is pretty much set with the exception of the right guard spot where Coleman Feeley, Jeremy Bean and Troy Franklin are all competing for the starting job.

AJ Penson and Daniel Prior are competing for the starting job at middle linebacker.

Dodge continues to be high on JUCO cornerback Steven Ford and freshman defensive end Aaron Bellazine.

I'm excited about the O-Line returning almost intact and despite the other guys, it's hard for me to imagine Feeley giving this spot up. It's his to lose.

I thought it was interesting that Rickey Bustle went on record as saying that he thinks the coaches poll is by far the most accurate out there. Bustle said he and the rest of the coaches in the league know the league better than anyone.

If true, coaches picked UNT 8th, we're in trouble. At what point does RV go from Plan A to Plan B?

So quick on the trigger. :ph34r:

I'm excited about the O-Line returning almost intact and despite the other guys, it's hard for me to imagine Feeley giving this spot up. It's his to lose.

The O-Line has been solid, and its great we have a qb that can see over them this year. Nice quote by the way.

Back in 2006 when Dickey had his heart attack, he was recovering and well enough to participate in the October 16th edition of weekly conference call the coaches do for the media.

After Dickey made his address to the media, the next coach up was Larry Blakeney at Troy. He was so disoriented and confused because he had no idea anything had happened to Dickey that an SBC rep had to interrupt the call and promise Blakeney that he'd call and fill in all the details later if Blakeney would just please get back to his responsibilities on the call.

At that time, we were Troy's next opponent.

The coaches in this league follow things so closely, at least one of them didn't even realize the next coach he was facing had been knocked out of the next game because of a heart attack.

Bustle just disrespected the NT talent level and also really seems to have no respect for Todd Dodge. For the sake of Dodge and the team I hope we beat the hell out of some of the SBC schools. In my opinion only MT and Troy have any room to trash us, as the others are just a hair away from the same records we have posted recently.

Bustle just disrespected the NT talent level and also really seems to have no respect for Todd Dodge. For the sake of Dodge and the team I hope we beat the hell out of some of the SBC schools. In my opinion only MT and Troy have any room to trash us, as the others are just a hair away from the same records we have posted recently.

I'd say FAU is free to talk as much trash as they want, too.

Not Western Kentucky, though. SCOREBOARD.

• Upvote 5

Always have a short-list ready, just in case the need arises. The SBC coaches are saying the need will arise. I didn't participate in the poll, just reported what Vito reported. :ph34r:

Coaches should be evaluated AFTER the season is ended, not during. Evaluations made during the season tend to over emphasize most recent game without any benefit of perspective. If at the end of the season he has not won enough games then the coach is let go.

Obviously, it is ridiculously early to be planning for this now before Fall camp even begins. Especially since the coaches pay such close attention they don't even know when their next opponent has had a heart attack!

Edited by VideoEagle

Misinformed post. Deleted.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98

Bustle's team absolutely embarrassed us last year, 33-6. We did not give them reason last season to respect us going into this season. But I hope our team remembers that come November 20, when we close out our conference schedule against them. I want to see the Warhawks crying on the sidelines.

Bustle's team barely beat us 38-34 at their house. His team is the Ragin Cajuns, not the Warhawks.

Edited by MeanGreen61

Coaches should be evaluated AFTER the season is ended, not during. Evaluations made during the season tend to over emphasize most recent game without any benefit of perspective. If at the end of the season he has not won enough games then the coach is let go.

Obviously, it is ridiculously early to be planning for this now before Fall camp even begins. Especially since the coaches pay such close attention they don't even know when their next opponent has had a heart attack!

I disagree. Under normal situations this may be correct, but these are extraordinary circumstances. We have a coach that has had nothing except three miserable seasons at North Texas that has been challenged to win this year or be cut loose. He has to win at least six games, probably seven to retain his job. I think this is very generous on the part of Rick V as I believe very few AD's would have given a coach a fourth season to show improvement.

Why have the short list? Rick Villarreal has to be prepared to do what's best for North Texas. If North Texas starts the season 2-6, you need to be able to then announce that a change will be made at the end of the season and post the position. Remember, that the position needs to posted for a full month before Rick can officially offer it to somebody, and we would want that coach to be hired immediately after the season. That way the new coach could evaluate current players and coaches before assembling his staff and starting recruiting.

All this said, I hope the short list isn't needed as I hope Todd Dodge achieves the success at North Texas that I believe he's capable of attaining.

• Upvote 2

I'd say FAU is free to talk as much trash as they want, too.

Not Western Kentucky, though. SCOREBOARD.

i view Western as being the only one of the SBC teams to REALLY disrespect us, which I think helped us win against them, starting with their first big penalty in the first game (no I wasn't there at the game, just read about it) moving them back for the PAT, which they missed. I feel they have brought forth rare displays of emotion from our guys.

Remember, that the position needs to posted for a full month before Rick can officially offer it to somebody, and we would want that coach to be hired immediately after the season.

First off, I too hope Dodge is extremely successful this year and for many to come at North Texas.

But, can someone please explain the above to me? It seems Tech fired Leach and had Tuberville hired in no time. Is this correct and if so, why do we have to post the job for 30 days prior to filling the position?

• Upvote 1

First off, I too hope Dodge is extremely successful this year and for many to come at North Texas.

But, can someone please explain the above to me? It seems Tech fired Leach and had Tuberville hired in no time. Is this correct and if so, why do we have to post the job for 30 days prior to filling the position?

Time to check the "30 day waiting period" off your GMG bingo card. I have this, conference realignment, free space, helmet discussion and am crossing my fingers the adopt-a-player thread comes up before someone else wins.

The grand prize: Season tickets to Fouts in 2011.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1