My Sbc Predictions

I posted this over on the NCAABBS forums which I really enjoy posting on, there's always some good topics being discussed by fellow sun belt fans we need more green posting over there.

WKU

I sure hope WKU can take down atleast one of these teams in OOC but that is really wishful thinking barring a meltdown by Indiana or South Florida, let's give WKU a year or two and a little better of a OOC slate to make some noise. Given the number of starters back, they very well could win 3 or 4 conference games, but I think they're still too young to be competing just yet.

September 4 - at Nebraska-L

September 11 - at Kentucky-L

September 18 - INDIANA-L

September 25 - at South Florida-L

October 9 - at Florida International-L

October 16 - LOUISIANA-MONROE-L

October 23 - at Louisiana-Lafayette-L

October 30 - NORTH TEXAS-L

November 6 - FLORIDA ATLANTIC-L

November 13 - at Arkansas State-L

November 20 - MIDDLE TENNESSEE-L

November 27 - at Troy-L

Prediction: #9 0-12(0-8)

Louisiana

This season I see the Cajuns taking a step back. With just 5 starters coming back on offense and more questions marks then certainties, I don't see Louisiana making much noise this season unless there is some serious improvement in their front seven. The two games against ASU and MT will really determine which direction this team is going this season as they will be tested early. Lose both and it will be a long season, if they find a way to come away victorious in both they can run the sun belt, I just don't see them beating either ASU or MT after getting beat up on by UGA. If LU is 0-3 heading in to the game at North Texas it will be one heck of an uphill battle from there to even make it to .500 like last season with a bodybag game the week after. Louisiana really has one of the toughest OOC slates in the conference this season and the games their scheduled around really doesn't help them out very much.

September 04 - at Georgia-L

September 11 - Arkansas State-L

September 25 - Middle Tennessee-L

October 02 - at North Texas- L

October 08 - Oklahoma State-L

October 16 - at Troy-L

October 23 - Western Kentucky-W

October 30 - at Ohio-L

November 06 - at Mississippi-L

November 13 - at Florida Atlantic-L

November 20 - FIU-W

November 27 - at La. Monroe-L

Prediction- #8 2-10(2-6)

Louisiana-Monroe

This season I see ULM regressing due to several factors. Very few starters are coming back and on top of that a new unproven coach with a terrible record is coming in with a new system. Playing at Arkansas, Auburn, and LSU isn't going to help matters either. With conference games @ MT, FIU and ASU I predict them to be 2-4 halfway through the season and at best garnering a 5-7 record, and that will take more than a few lucky bounces going their way.

September 11 - at Arkansas-L

September 18 - at Arkansas State-L

September 25 - Southeastern Louisiana-W

October 2 - at Auburn-L

October 9 - Florida Atlantic-L

October 16 - at Western Kentucky-W

October 23 - at Middle Tennessee-L

October 30 - Troy-L

November 6 - at FIU-L

November 13 - at (17) LSU-L

November 20 - North Texas-L

November 27 - Louisiana-Lafayette-W

Prediction: T#6 3-9(2-6)

Florida International

The panthers are pretty talented and experienced when it comes to skill position players, but the old saying goes games are won and lost in the trenches, and there in lies the problem. FIU doesn't have too many experienced big bodies on either side of the line and the defense was one of the worst in the country this past season. Their back seven should be improved but middle of the pack at best when it comes to conference play I believe that once again they'll be giving up more points than they put up on average this season however everybody is in first place at the beginning of the season and they could be very competitive if they can swing an early upset and get some confidence and swagger. I don't see it happening this season, but a W in an OOC and a victory over rival FAU could be monumental in turning the program around and getting it heading in the right direction for the future. I'm going to go out on a major limb and say FIU takes down Maryland. They're due for an OOC upset over a BCS(then again aren't we all)

September 11 - Rutgers-L

September 18 - at Texas A&M-L

September25 - at Maryland-W

October 02 - at Pittsburgh-L

October 09 - Western Kentucky-W

October 16 - at North Texas-L

October 30 - at Florida Atlantic-L

November 06 - Louisiana-Monroe-W

November 13 - at Troy-L

November 20 - at Louisiana-Lafayette-L

November 27 - Arkansas State-L

December 04 - Middle Tennessee-L

Prediction: T#6 3-9(2-6)

Florida Atlantic

This season I expect to see a very improved FAU team with a smart quarterback returning around a good nucleus of skill position players, I don't doubt they'll be able to shore up their offensive line and with 9 defensive starters returning, this is my dark horse team. It really wouldn't surprise me to see them return to a bowl game this season with a few lucky breaks here and there. This could be the season all that Florida speed from their heralded recruiting classes shine. I think they will take down USF this season and turn the corner towards a very bright future.

September 02 - at UAB-W

September 11 - Michigan State-L

September 25 - North Texas-Toss up

October 02 - at South Florida-W

October 09 - at Louisiana-Monroe-W

October 23 - at Arkansas State-L

October 30 - FIU-W

November 06 - at Western Kentucky-W

November 13 - Louisiana-Lafayette-W

November 20 - at Texas-L

November 27 - at Middle Tennessee-L

December 04 - Troy-L

Prediction: #5 6-6/7-5(4-4/5-3)

Arkansas State

I think Phillip Butterfield could be the breakout player for 2010, playing behind an experienced offensive line is only going to help. They don't have much coming back in terms of skill position players, but I think their defense is going to win a couple of games for them alone. After disappointing fans this past season, I think stAte finally breaks through and hopefully can garner an at-large bowl berth. I don't think their ready to challenge for the SBC crown, but I do think they'll border around .500 as long as the DT transfer is allowed to play immediately which seems to be the case although you never know, the NCAA seems pretty crooked when it comes to eligibility for non-bcs programs and especially when it comes to medical redshirts for the have-nots of the college football world. I'm getting off topic here but I predict stAte to once again dominate on the defensive side of the ball and create alot of turnovers and help in the field position battle which will make for a smooth transition for the young QB. If this team can somehow take down Troy they could have a very nice 2010 campaign although I see Troy winning because it's away. The swing game is Louisville. It's at home and if they pull off the upset, this team is bowl bound.

September 4 - at Auburn-L

September 11 - at Louisiana-W

September 18 - Louisiana-Monroe-W

September 25 - at Troy-L

October 2 - Louisville-L

October 9 - at North Texas-Toss up

October 16 - at Indiana-L

October 23 - Florida Atlantic-W

November 2 - Middle Tennessee State-L

November 20 - at Navy-Toss up

November 27 - at Florida International-W

Prediction: #4 5-7/6-6(5-3)

North Texas

Bear with me here, I just drank a big gulp glass of green kool aid that was spiked, but from what I saw at the spring game, this team and the defense in particular looks poised to turn the corner and put the past three years behind them. New offensive coordinater Mike Canales brings a whole new level of experience with him and you'll actually see a TE utilized this season. With the pressure on to win seven games this season combined with the steady improvement on defense and Lance Dunbar with Darius Carey and Jamaal Jackson coming back to play behind a deep offensive line I think we go 5-3 in conference play and take down both Rice and Army. If we're 6-5 going in to the last game ever at Fouts and a bowl game is on the line, we'll give KSU one helluva game. We were 18 points away from being 7-5 instead of 2-10 which means we were almost there but not quite ready to be a winner, and I think we turn the corner this year. If we are to beat KSU in the finale and go on to a bowl game, this season will be a remarkable improvement and give us a whole lot of steam heading in to 2011 coming off a great season and a new stadium to play in. Watch out college football world in 2011, a mean green freight train from hell is coming :D

September 4 - at Clemson-L

September 11 - Rice-W

September 18 - at Army-W

September 25 - at Florida Atlantic-Toss up

October 2 - Louisiana-Lafayette-W

October 9 - Arkansas State-Toss up

October 16 - Florida International- W

October 30 - at Western Kentucky- W

November 6 - Troy- L

November 13 - at Middle Tennessee- L

November 20 - at Louisiana-Monroe- W

November 27 - Kansas State-L

Prediction: #3 7-5/8-4(5-3/6-2)

Troy

I think with Troy's talented receiving corps as well as their tandem at RB returning we'll see an offense that rivals that of Middle Tennessee's.Their defensive unit seems to be unable to slip no matter who graduates. Plus Blakeney can simply do no wrong. I believe Troy wins 9 games this season and continues their legacy as the class of the sun belt battling MT for 1st place but coming in second due to the game being played in Murfreesboro. I also think they have a good shot at upsetting South Carolina because USC will be licking their wounds from playing Florida the week before and Troy has a history of sticking it to SEC schools(see LSU ref screwjobs) I think the players really enjoy playing SEC opponents because a lot either transferred from there or were told they weren't good enough. It wouldn't suprise me to see them lose 1 or 2 other conference games especially against ASU this season because even the mighty slip some times.

September 4 - Bowling Green-W

September 11 - at Oklahoma State-L

September 18 - at UAB-W

September 25 - Arkansas State-W

October 5 - Middle Tennessee-L

October 16 - Louisiana-Lafayette-W

October 30 - Louisiana-Monroe-W

November 6 - at North Texas W

November 13 - FIU W

November 20 - at South Carolina-Toss up

November 27 - Western Kentucky-W

December 4 - at Florida Atlantic-W

Prediction: #2 9-3/10-2(7-1)

MT

The breakout team from last season has 8 starters coming back on offense anchored by Dwight Dasher who absolutely shredded defenses last season with 36 combined passing/rushing touchdowns. That alone is astounding for a QB I don't even need to mention the yards he put up going for 2000 passing and over 1000 rushing which is just remarkable for a QB at any level. While their d line is going to have a few new faces their secondary is deep and like I said the offense is going to be one of the most potent of all non-bcs teams. A stout offensive line with Dasher, Tanner and a slew of WR's capable of burning opposing DB's are going to wreck havoc on the sun belt. Even if the defense regresses which is doubtful the offense will win in any shootout type game. Another thing on MT's side is coaching, HC Stockstill is going to lead this team to the top 25 and most likely a new gig after this season. I'm glad he stuck around for another year, this guy is pure class. With Minnesota at home to start the season, a win in that game will garner some attention from the pollsters and they might crack the top 25 before meeting Georgia Tech provided they take care of Troy. This team is vastly talented and I would like nothing more than to see them go undefeated, but a win against GT seems unlikely. 11-1 will make for a fine season and then a bowl victory.

Sep 2 Minnesota-W

Sep 11 Austin Peay-W

Sep 18 Memphis-W

Sep 25 Louisiana-Lafayette-W

Oct 5 Troy-W

Oct 16 Georgia Tech-L

Oct 23 Louisiana-Monroe-W

Nov 2 Arkansas State-W

Nov 13 North Texas-W

Nov 20 Western Kentucky-W

Nov 27 Florida Atlantic-W

Dec 4 Florida International-W

Prediction: #1 11-1(8-0)

Edited by ntmeangreen11
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Actually, if you add up your predicted wins, UNT would only be 6-6 if we lost both of your "toss-ups." A split would put us at 7-5, and winning both would put us at 8-4.

Good thoughts.

EDIT: Never mind, I read the predicted record above the results instead of below. Still, your predicted results would allow for 6-6 as a possibility.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98