North Texas Hires Chuck Neinas

Harry

Let me just add I am thrilled with this hire and I am quite happy with interim President Lane Rawlins as well. Wouldn't mind ripping the interim title off and leaving him in place!! He has been a real positive for athletics at North Texas.

GMG!!

There are handful in the NCAA who can just get you from point A to a higher point B light years quicker than the rest. We had one like that when I was an NT student who could get on the telephone and call some of his ol' buddies and then we'd be doing things and playing people on the Mean Green schedule that we used to could only dream about doing such. IMHO, Chuck Neinas is one such player. He will raise our dreams a whole bunch & who knows, maybe help us reach some of them within the next few years.

The new stadium being built under AD Rick V's watch & leadership is making all this happen now IMHO. To advance UNT athletics is not a one man project for sure. Maybe in our case it will take a community of movers and shakers to raise our school up to where it really needs to be.

Great job, Dr. Rawlins! Things may start moving faster than any of us would ever believe.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Huge move......this is great.

How so ? don't know much about this guy or group or exactly what they are going to do, but unless they are really a lobbyist for our getting in Conf USA, I don't see how we are going to benefit...not big on consultants....like gene stallings who said we didnt' need a stadium....huge error, that was exactly what we needed and is probably a big reason why we are where we are now. So, if you know more, would appreciate understanding more about this "chuck neinas".

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

How so ? don't know much about this guy or group or exactly what they are going to do, but unless they are really a lobbyist for our getting in Conf USA, I don't see how we are going to benefit...not big on consultants....like gene stallings who said we didnt' need a stadium....huge error, that was exactly what we needed and is probably a big reason why we are where we are now. So, if you know more, would appreciate understanding more about this "chuck neinas".

Chuck Neinas consults for a living and has been involved with CUSA's expansion in the past while Gene Stallings is a name coach, especially in the South, that doesn't consult for a living. I figure you could google Neinas Sports Group and find out more.

I don't understand why this is covered in the Hawaii newspaper but doesn't even register a blip in any of the Metroplex papers or isn't mentioned on MeanGreenSports.com. BTW, I agree, great move to bring these people in.

Edited by UNTLifer

I believe Stallings said a stadium was needed... just not feasible.

Just going on his reputation. Neinas has been a very respected power broker in college athletics for 20+ years now. He has a lot of connections. Neinas is more of a CEO type for college athletics...whereas Gene Stallings is a career football coach. So even though I respect the heck out of Stallings as a coach and a man...I wouldn't put him in the same league as Neinas....when it comes to consulting. Just my opinion.

• Upvote 2

I seem to remember it being something to the effect problem 1 was the suicidal schedule and problem 1A was the facilities. It was easier and faster to fix the schedule.

Stallings listed many problems we had, like no fencing around the football practice fields, losing basketball games to D-II programs, etc. The stadium and other facilities were mentioned but needed only after addressing other areas first, which Dr. Pohl did by hiring RV and gaining access to the Eagle Point land and buying the LCS property for athletic facilities. Pohl Stadium?

Edited by NT80

It's very good we hired the same consultant CUSA hired recently to explore their expansion possibilities. Humm... B)

"Jun 9, 2010 ... Chuck Neinas, rated one of the 10 most powerful people in college football by Sports Illustrated, was hired by Conference USA a consultant."

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_college_ucf/2010/06/conference-usa-hires-chuck-neinas-as-a-consultant-to-assist-with-potential-conference-expansion.html

Edited by NT80

I think Neinas is a great hire. I saw a profile on him about a year ago on Real Sports. It was about his consulting firm and its influence on the college football landscape. The major point was that he knows everyone, and he is able to bring parties together. I see this leading to a few possible outcomes. The most likely is when he is done he tells us, we need to increase attendance, increase athletics funding, and increase our national presence. This would be bad, because we already know these things. Second, he can talk C-USA into adding us be convincing them we are moving in the right direction and the conference will be better in the long run with UNT in it. Third, and my favorite scenario, Neinas convinces the C-USA west teams, and Memphis that breaking away and starting a new conference with North Texas and MTSU is more profitable then staying in C-USA. North Texas, Houston, SMU, Rice, UTEP, Tulsa, Tulane, Memphis, and Middle Tennessee. This conference would feature several competitive teams, and only large media markets. Dallas, Houston, El Paso, Memphis, Nashville, Tulsa, and New Orleans would be the media markets for this conference.

I think Neinas is a great hire. I saw a profile on him about a year ago on Real Sports. It was about his consulting firm and its influence on the college football landscape. The major point was that he knows everyone, and he is able to bring parties together. I see this leading to a few possible outcomes. The most likely is when he is done he tells us, we need to increase attendance, increase athletics funding, and increase our national presence. This would be bad, because we already know these things. Second, he can talk C-USA into adding us be convincing them we are moving in the right direction and the conference will be better in the long run with UNT in it. Third, and my favorite scenario, Neinas convinces the C-USA west teams, and Memphis that breaking away and starting a new conference with North Texas and MTSU is more profitable then staying in C-USA. North Texas, Houston, SMU, Rice, UTEP, Tulsa, Tulane, Memphis, and Middle Tennessee. This conference would feature several competitive teams, and only large media markets. Dallas, Houston, El Paso, Memphis, Nashville, Tulsa, and New Orleans would be the media markets for this conference.

The third option would be the absolute best in my opinion...could easily compete at least on the ACC Level.

• Downvote 1

The third option would be the absolute best in my opinion...could easily compete at least on the ACC Level.

Why stop at just three theoretical options for this new hero?

I demand we find a way for the new stadium be filled with a money vault ala Duck Tales pulled entirely from CUSA, MAC, MWC and WAC bowl revenues.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2