Sunbelt Beat Writers Preseason Poll

NT80

http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/

The consensus in this poll and others is that another new QB is a concern, RB Dunbar is the real deal, the OL is good and the defense is still suspect. They predict there will be overall improvement in the team from the past few years but not enough to rise above 6-8th place.

Basically everyone is waiting to see the improvement on the field and scoreboard before believing it. TDodge has a big job ahead to convince a lot of people his program has turned around enough to warrant an extension. Borderline success won't be enough; it will and should take convincing wins, a record over .500, and enough consistent play that lights up the sales lines at the ticket office and sells seats to the new stadium .

Beat writer projections are just the same as others; SWAG (scientific wild arse guesses). They feed all the data in, compute and spit out a best guess scenario. Then the little gremlin comes along and screws everything up.

Pre-season preditions are just entertainment while we wait for the actual season to open.

I think this is pretty much dead on. This is very much a hope and pray the jucos can produce year in a lot of respects. If you look at our program historically have we ever had a new qb that the team excelled? Scott Hall, Mitch Maher, Attaway, Bridges?? Even tho some of our best QBs ever are on that list, they did not have good first years. The only exception is probably Andrew Smith.

So...it sounds like the Sun Belt beat writers unanimously predict this to be Dodge's final year. Out of nine people who professionally cover this conference, not a single one picked this team to even finish amongst the top four. You can't easily disregard this poll, as is the case with some, by claiming the voters don't really closely follow these teams.

• Upvote 1

Well I think Dodge's dillema is that had Riley been healthy many may have considered UNT a darkhorse to win the whole thing. I think next year UNT could be a big year because they will have Glen Rose back with some experience and Dunbar will be a senior.

Well I think Dodge's dillema is that had Riley been healthy many may have considered UNT a darkhorse to win the whole thing. I think next year UNT could be a big year because they will have Glen Rose back with some experience and Dunbar will be a senior.

I think there is a possibility that the QB position is an upgraded this year. To have that happen, Thompson will have to limit turnovers and provide a deep passing game that was non-existent last year. I don't think the probability is to high that this occurs, but aren't we due a freaking break?

The only area where losing Riley as a QB is a detriment is in the running game. I think Thompson can do enough to keep other defenses honest, though. If he can do that, limit turnovers and hit a deep receiver twice a game, the offense will be fine.

Let's face it, Riley was an average to below average college QB last year. What he gave you in the running department, he took away with his arm and decision making at crucial times.

Honestly, the biggest concerns for this team are special teams and defense. If either of these two had carried their weight last year, we would been a .500 team.

Edited by UNT90

Beleive UNT will be much better at QB than most folks are predicting.

No question. UNT will be much better at QB, and be significantly more balanced (and to Riley's credit, we would be with him had he not injured the arm and retained the strength he had at Carroll), causing opponents to sit back and guess instead of tee off and be aggressive. I think we'll score 37 points per game this year under Canales, and with the experience in the OL, the quality of backs, and the explosiveness at WR. Not to mention opponents won't know what's coming.

• Upvote 2

Our offense will be fine regardless of who the QB is , it's the DLine's play that will be the most important factor in this upcoming season

DNG< DING< DING!

That is the correct answer!!!