As The World Turns - Ca Recruit Denied Smu Admission

I'm sure either one would be welcome at NT if we have the scholarships. From their point of view, however, I'm sure it's devastating to prepare for your life at one school and then be told you're no longer wanted. I don't care if it's Mary Hardin-Baylor, when you're 18 and your dream is taken away like that...just not right.

Good luck to them wherever they land, and Texas HS coaches be wary of SMU.

Edited by ColoradoEagle

You have to think that academic standards will play into CUSAs expansion decisions.

The public schools in CUSA aren't exactly bastions of academic excellence. It's doubtful they would agree to raising academic standards for athletic recruits.

Edited by MeanGreen61

I don't really understand what is going on at SMU, holy cow if this is as it appears and these kids were just now notified I really feel sorry for them. I mean I hope someone at SMU makes this right hell if you are fan of SMU or not this has to be horrible for these kids to have plans and dreams dashed like this. I wonder how this is handled at SMU, is there an admissions Committee/board? Would this be a faculty thing. Talk about taking one step forward and two steps back for the Mustangs, if this stands you have to figure the high school coaches are going to remember this.

I would love to hear what June Jones has to say about this behind closed doors.

Seems like something we would do at UNT, let the old we are a teachers college mentality back out and become a silly obstacle. This is a fear I hope we never have to face again.

I don't really understand what is going on at SMU, holy cow if this is as it appears and these kids were just now notified I really feel sorry for them. I mean I hope someone at SMU makes this right hell if you are fan of SMU or not this has to be horrible for these kids to have plans and dreams dashed like this. I wonder how this is handled at SMU, is there an admissions Committee/board? Would this be a faculty thing. Talk about taking one step forward and two steps back for the Mustangs, if this stands you have to figure the high school coaches are going to remember this.

I would love to hear what June Jones has to say about this behind closed doors.

Seems like something we would do at UNT, let the old we are a teachers college mentality back out and become a silly obstacle. This is a fear I hope we never have to face again.

From reading the ponies board, it appears to be the age old athletics vs. academics struggle. It seems that the highbrows would learn that a good athletics program is a boost to the academic program.

Did JJ over sign ?

Seems they passed the NCAA clearing house just fine and qualified, but the academic folks have the final say on who is admitted. Makes you wonder if some of the academic types may be trying to undermine Pony athletics. A little jealousy over Jones' $2M annually ?

• Upvote 1

From reading the ponies board, it appears to be the age old athletics vs. academics struggle. It seems that the highbrows would learn that a good athletics program is a boost to the academic program.

That struggle seems so UNT to me, when I was in school at North Texas I felt we would never get past it. I think this why so many felt we would never build a new Stadium.

• Upvote 1

Sorry if this was already posted but it seems pretty blunt that this was a complete shock out of the blue, just wow.

Hall exploring options for his future

I remember reading where Dodge had a good relationship w/ the Brenham head coach when we signed Kevin Ealey ( not sure if he's still there) ... too bad we don't have a baseball team

Of course Ealey didn't work out too well , last I heard he was serving a 10 year prison sentence

Edited by NT03

Seems they passed the NCAA clearing house just fine and qualified, but the academic folks have the final say on who is admitted. Makes you wonder if some of the academic types may be trying to undermine Pony athletics. A little jealousy over Jones' $2M annually ?

You may be right, I could see something as silly as you suggest.

And the over-educated, pompous asses can't see that if June Jones does at SMU what he did at Hawaii, that would mean huge dollars for SMU, thus making a pay raise for the academic staff much more likely. It's nice to know that even the brilliant $MU professors aren't immune to 14 year old girl jealousy.

• Downvote 1

I remember reading where Dodge had a good relationship w/ the Brenham head coach when we signed Kevin Ealey ( not sure if he's still there) ... too bad we don't have a baseball team

Todd Dodge's relationship with Brenham HS HC, Glen West, is (or at least it was) so good that West was asked to join the Mean Green staff. But, that was back in 2007. Brenham HS always has quality FBS prospects and I had hoped that a few of them would be more interested in North Texas because of Dodge's friendship with West. That hasn't really been the case. I don't know if that is a result of Coach West having little, to no, influence on where his players play college ball or if UNT is just that unappealing to the Brenham HS players with legitimate D-1 talent. And, what's worse is that we're not even being considered by these Brenham HS prospects.

Still, if Dodge has interest in Jeremy Hall, I suspect he and West have already spoken about the possibilities.

And the over-educated, pompous asses can't see that if June Jones does at SMU what he did at Hawaii, that would mean huge dollars for SMU, thus making a pay raise for the academic staff much more likely. It's nice to know that even the brilliant $MU professors aren't immune to 14 year old girl jealousy.

While I love disdain for Smew from any fan base, this happens to be (mostly) wrong. Athletics at very few institutions actually bring dollars in, SMU operates in the red every year. The one benefit of a successful athletic program is branding your university which brings in more "quality" students. Students and alumni with pride in their institution will generally donate more to many departments on campus which creates larger budgets (especially at a private university) to indirectly affect the staff. You are right in the fact that if professors could get their head out of their hole they may be able to see this. Just look at TCU who are in the process of adding buildings by the dozen and adding programs in graduate departments all of which have been funded over the last decade. Coincidence?

• Upvote 2

While I love disdain for Smew from any fan base, this happens to be (mostly) wrong. Athletics at very few institutions actually bring dollars in, SMU operates in the red every year. The one benefit of a successful athletic program is branding your university which brings in more "quality" students. Students and alumni with pride in their institution will generally donate more to many departments on campus which creates larger budgets (especially at a private university) to indirectly affect the staff. You are right in the fact that if professors could get their head out of their hole they may be able to see this. Just look at TCU who are in the process of adding buildings by the dozen and adding programs in graduate departments all of which have been funded over the last decade. Coincidence?

The article on previous page of thread made it sound like UNT has already offer scholly to this player before he committed to SMU originally.

Im not for lowering standards for sports. Schools like SMU don't need money from sports so why would they care about a few million they get if.... IF they were to go to a BCS game?

I think this thread is funny because it seems that there are alot of people frustrated at the smu admin and not impressed that they are actually holding to certain academic standards. If they want higher standards for all their students then i think it is a great thing. Especially since I know so much about the trust fund babies and athletes that get in the school that really wouldn't do well at any junior college much less SMU. So I am happy that academics are more of a priority than athletics.

• Upvote 1

I think this thread is funny because it seems that there are alot of people frustrated at the smu admin and not impressed that they are actually holding to certain academic standards. If they want higher standards for all their students then i think it is a great thing. Especially since I know so much about the trust fund babies and athletes that get in the school that really wouldn't do well at any junior college much less SMU. So I am happy that academics are more of a priority than athletics.

The problem was the two players were not told until basically the last minute that there was any problem at all. Plus the promise as I understood made to June Jones by the SMU admin was that they would reduce admission standards for athletes and make sure his recruits would be admitted as long as they were NCAA qualifiers. Something their prior coach had asked for but never received. I see this as SMU breaking a promise made to these athletes, their coach, and their fans.

It's something I'm concerned about at ASU as our new admission standards are above the NCAA Clearinghouse minimum. If the policy isn't written correctly you can't do special admissions and even if it is you never know how it is going to be applied. Ideally, you should be able to get them tentatively cleared before you offer a scholarship because it is unfair for a kid to turn down offers only to find they've got no place to go because their other choices moved on and filled up their class.

I like the NAIA rule. No clearinghouse, you either meet the school standards or you don't get to go there.