Benson Might Have An Ace Up His Sleeve

Harry

Benson is no dummy but the track record of the WAC is for the league presidents to ignore his advice.

They ignored him when he wanted to go to 12 for the 2001 season.

They ignored him when he wanted to go to 12 for the 2005 season.

They ignored his advice last year to add a non-football school to balance the basketball schedule.

"Call it Benson's Hail Mary Pass - for that is what it likely amounts to. A long shot to be sure that probably involves trying to woo a former WAC member back to the lodge."

Humm...former WAC member to be lured back? By financial inticement? It won't be a MWC school as they are two steps above the WAC. My guess is UTEP, the farthest west in CUSA. Perhaps?; they recently said they were happy with the other Texas schools plus have been rumored to hate the concept of sharing anything with NMSU. Could the lure of extra $$ (bigger slice of the pie) change happiness? I think Benson is 4th and long on this one and doesn't complete it.

"Call it Benson's Hail Mary Pass - for that is what it likely amounts to. A long shot to be sure that probably involves trying to woo a former WAC member back to the lodge."

Humm...former WAC member to be lured back? By financial inticement? It won't be a MWC school as they are two steps above the WAC. My guess is UTEP, the farthest west in CUSA. Perhaps?; they recently said they were happy with the other Texas schools plus have been rumored to hate the concept of sharing anything with NMSU. Could the lure of extra $$ (bigger slice of the pie) change happiness? I think Benson is 4th and long on this one and doesn't complete it.

I agree that if they're pursuing a former WAC member it almost has to be UTEP.

I don't know how the presidents feel about being in the same conference. They play each other in many sports and share the 98th (in size) TV market. UTEP would bring good attendance, a much larger share of that market and an improving football program. Then again, they've been near the bottom of the FBS for years (as has NMSU) so there's little elsewhere to go but up.

UTEP would certainly be an improvement but I don't see them as saving the conference for long. There's little else that can improve the conference unless we blow the doors off this coming year and somehow and agree to become an eWAC member along with UTEP and Louisiana or if miraculously they could persuade Tulsa to change.

My biggest fear about the WAC is that it has little place to go. There are no Division 1-A teams available and the only real Division 1-AA team that could be available soon might be Montana. Cal-Davis lacks facilities and I don't see any others capable of meeting requirements in the near future. Texas State and UTSA are possibilities if the conference can move east.

The WAC would be a move up now but how much sustaining power does it have?

• Upvote 1

UTEP has repeatedly said that they want to be in a conference with Texas schools.

Unless he is going to somehow pull a coup with SMU, Rice and/or Tulsa I have trouble putting this as actually happening.

If somehow he does this, then I will no longer compare him to WW.