Ucf Hires Marketing Firm To Raise Community Profile

We keep waiting for Denton to get behind this thing... Hopefully some day.

To be fair, I never saw a huge push by the university in the five years I lived in Denton (2003-2007). Usually schedules would be posted on the square, and sometimes a restaurant or two off the square (like Rudy's, obviously). They worked something out with the city to line Carroll with NT banners, which was very nice.

Beyond that bit of effort, I rarely ever noticed NT in the town. Now maybe I just wasn't going to the right places? I don't know. I never saw any NT related events on 288. Nothing at Kroger, Best Buy, Walmart, Golden Triangle, etc. Like I said, maybe I just wasn't there, or maybe nothing actually happened. Maybe the AD doesn't have the resources to do promotions, but I never felt like NT was everywhere I looked even living 2 miles from the school.

• Upvote 2

I hope UNT does something different. Our athletics department should focus on marketing in areas other then Denton. When the people of Denton see other communities getting excited about North Texas, they will too. DFW, Houston, San Antonio, New Orleans, Oklahoma City, Chicago, New York, and LA; lets market nationally. We are the largest public university in the center of the United States, in the fifth largest media market. Lets become a household name.

To be fair, I never saw a huge push by the university in the five years I lived in Denton (2003-2007). Usually schedules would be posted on the square, and sometimes a restaurant or two off the square (like Rudy's, obviously). They worked something out with the city to line Carroll with NT banners, which was very nice.

Beyond that bit of effort, I rarely ever noticed NT in the town. Now maybe I just wasn't going to the right places? I don't know. I never saw any NT related events on 288. Nothing at Kroger, Best Buy, Walmart, Golden Triangle, etc. Like I said, maybe I just wasn't there, or maybe nothing actually happened. Maybe the AD doesn't have the resources to do promotions, but I never felt like NT was everywhere I looked even living 2 miles from the school.

Denton and many Denton businesses have not wanted to offend TWU by promoting and supporting UNT sports. It's a convenient excuse anyway. We rant every preseason about the lack of PR and Marketing but fans somehow still find their way to Fouts...imagine if we had those others that didn't know! More advertising could be done, and should, but I prefer it be like temp Prez Lane Rawlins suggested...directed at DFW.

Edited by NT80

Not sure how true that is anymore, but I think we need to win Denton and immediately surrounding cities. Do it at the same time as trying to win the rest of DFW if need be, but local is important, especially for basketball games. I don't see how we can ever achieve the success we want if we can't get a lot of these new residents on our side.

Btw, I think we have started down this road, evidenced by the growing attendance. I just think it's time to kick it into high gear over this next year.