Consensus Pick For Unt In The Sun Belt - Mailbag

And hasn't Phil Steele's College Football magazine been as accurate as most in recent years? He & his staff seem to really research all schools more than the others who almost never give any school who finished in the middle half of a league on down a chance to move up.

I hope Steele's magazine is correct with his forecast of the Mean Green finishing 3'rd in the SBC. Of course, we can all be sure Todd Dodge does to.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

And hasn't Phil Steele's College Football magazine been as accurate as most in recent years? He & his staff seem to really research all schools more than the others who almost never give any school who finished in the middle half of a league on down a chance to move up.

I hope Steele's magazine is correct with his forecast of the Mean Green finishing 3'rd in the SBC. Of course, we can all be sure Todd Dodge does to.

He picked the Belt like this last year (actual finish)

1. Troy (1)

2. FL Atlantic (T3)

3. Ark St (T6)

4. MTSU (2)

5. ULM (T3)

6. FIU (T6)

7. Louisiana (5)

8. N TX (8)

9. WKU (9)

He nailed 1, 8 and 9 but most everyone did. Also got FIU right. Missed FAU by one spot, missed ULL, ULM, and MT by two spots and ASU by 3 (but doubt he projected two season ending injuries in the opener so I give him some grace on that).

There are always a bunch of "ifs" around here, but if we can somehow find a defensive line that can get penetration, if the physical talent we have in the secondary actually uses that talent to tackle and cover, and if the QB position comes through in a big way, then we could very well have a pretty good team! Oh, and I cannot leave out special teams and coaching either. ;) There, I finally made a post that had nothing to do with realignment. :lol:

When we show the ability to 1) execute an extra point consistently and 2) keep an opponent from blocking punts at will, then I will believe a 3rd place finish.

Hate to say it, but it hasn't happened in the last 3 years, so your gonna have to prove it to me this year.

THen, maybe we can move on to the defensive line and other, more complex, things.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Noticed something I missed in the article:

It could also provide UNT extra money to pursue a higher level coach the next time it has to go looking in a major sport like football or men's basketball.

:D :D :D

...but can we stop talking about being bowl eligible? You're gonna jinx the whole damn thing.

Hey, I'm not saying that we will be, just wondering if the SBC can field a third bowl team whether it's us or somebody else. :)

Edited by ColoradoEagle