Beer Sales At Fouts Public Concessions?

gangrene

To the best of my knowledge, alcohol sales are legal if the venue is in a wet precinct. As to the NCAA, they prohibit alcohol at championship events, but nothing beyond that dictate.

Guest JohnDenver

Likely the "drunks" insides are too drunk because they slammed down six beers before they walked into the stadium. If they didn't feel the need to "load up" for the whole game -- because they can buy beer inside -- then it would be a more level drunkard. Just saying..

Valid concerns but let me ask you, do you consider a Ranger's game "family friendly"? How about Six Flags Over Texas? State Fair of Texas? Schlitterbahn?

I don't consider attendance at an amateur college athletic event on the same par as a professional sports event. I fully understand alcohol will be available at pro sporting events. I rarely attend them, and their service of alcohol is part of the reason. Drunk rednecks cussing out loud at an umpire is no more charming to me and my kids than the drunk idiots at a college football game.

The merely presence of families doesn't make something by default family friendly. Further, a child enjoying an activity doesn't by default make that activity family friendly. I'm sure my boy child would enjoy taking a match and burning a building down. That doesn't make the act of arson family friendly.

I disagree with Six Flags' alcohol policy and have not taken my family there since they began serving. The State Fair is attended by families, but I don't consider it family friendly anyway. I've never been the Schlitterbahn; but, if they advertise to families with young kids and serve alcohol, then I won't be going there with my family.

Remember, I wrote that it was "refreshing" that UNT was family friendly. I didn't write that all events, organizations, or companies that claim to be family friendly are family friendly. The reason UNT games are refreshing in that regard is that they do seem to me to walk the walk on family friendliness, while most other who make the claim do not - in my opinion. I fully understand the rest simply lie about it, not caring what my kids may see or hear once I pay the full price of admission and enter.

Before I had a family, I could care less and would likely have been the one drinking at a game. Things have changed 180 degrees for me since I've had kids and begun to take them to various public events. It has opened my eyes to many things and situations that I used to ignore.

Let the drunks drink in the parking lot - and stay there.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

Valid concerns but let me ask you, do you consider a Ranger's game "family friendly"? How about Six Flags Over Texas? State Fair of Texas? Schlitterbahn?

Well, the Texas Rangers offer "family-friendly" seating, which is where my family and I will be sitting at Tuesday night's game. And what does "family-friendly" mean? It means alcohol-free.

• Upvote 1

Guest JohnDenver

The merely presence of families doesn't make something by default family friendly. Further, a child enjoying an activity doesn't by default make that activity family friendly. I'm sure my boy child would enjoy taking a match and burning a building down. That doesn't make the act of arson family friendly.

That's funny, as a vegetarian I find the presence of meat products to be non-family friendly. I hate that rednecks can kill and cook flesh in front of my children. Then they take it the next step and EAT it! Pig grease flowing down the front of rednecks and the high fiving over the smell of burning flesh is almost too much. We definitely need to ban hot dogs and burgers from the convenience stands. I can stand it in the parking lot though, because I can avoid that meat frenzied redneck insanity. Eating God's creatures in front of my family is where I draw the line.

Let the carnivores swallow in the parking lot - and stay there.

That's funny, as a vegetarian I find the presence of meat products to be non-family friendly. I hate that rednecks can kill and cook flesh in front of my children. Then they take it the next step and EAT it! Pig grease flowing down the front of rednecks and the high fiving over the smell of burning flesh is almost too much. We definitely need to ban hot dogs and burgers from the convenience stands. I can stand it in the parking lot though, because I can avoid that meat frenzied redneck insanity. Eating God's creatures in front of my family is where I draw the line.

Let the carnivores swallow in the parking lot - and stay there.

That's parallel. :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

Guest JohnDenver

Unfortunately for both of us, adults eating meat and drinking beer are perfectly legal activities.

Fortunately, my kids know that eating flesh is bad and they should harshly judge those that do. I guess it is a teaching oppurtunity. Watching fat men eat brisket (especially those that overindulge in it) really is a learning experience for the youth.

Also, on the Rangers note, I will never-EVER take my kids to the dollar hotdog nights. Have you seen those people buying 10 hotdogs -- just because they can! Not even I, as a loving dad, can explain that behavior.

We NEED those bodies that are hanging out in the parking lots to come into the stadium. If the students are drunk, then kick them out when they start acting up inside. Besides, any drunk students will probably be sitting on the student side and away from most families anyway.

As for the alumni, most drunks can already take care of business on the hospitality deck (already mentioned). But, there are times when I want a beer and don't want to have to leave my seat.

I certainly hate offending some of our fans. But, we need to do whatever is necessary to bring more attendance to the games. I am confident that beer sales will result in a net increase in attendance.

It's going to happen eventually, just as the dry cities in Texas are going away one-by-one each year. We don't need to be the last one on the bus.

He knows it's not parallel. The issue with alcohol isn't the consumption; it's with the way people act when they are drunk from the consumption. Meat doesn't intoxicate, no matter how good it smells.

It's good to know the Rangers gives slices of the ballpark to families. However, I've sat in enough "family" sections at various places to know that such designation doesn't free your experience from the drunk sports idiots.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Guest JohnDenver

He knows it's not parallel. The issue with alcohol isn't the consumption; it's with the way people act when they are drunk from the consumption. Meat doesn't intoxicate, no matter how good it smells.

It's good to know the Rangers gives slices of the ballpark to families. However, I've sat in enough "family" sections at various places to know that such designation doesn't free your experience from the drunk sports idiots.

Speak for yourself, my religious convictions tell me eating God's creatures is a sin and that is how I raise my children.

As for it not being intoxicating -- how else can you explain the television show Man v. Food? You never see him going crazy and getting the spectators into a frenzy over grilled veggies or fried tofu.

Nor do you see TLC airing "The World's Fattest Vegetarians!" -- and you never will. Meat has an intoxicating presence that is slowly destroying our economy and culture. You won't find type II diabetic vegetarians either. Nor will find many vegetarians with high blood pressure or/and PAD.

So it is outrageous to serve (especially to over-serve) these legal meat tubes in public.

I voted no. Why have you ever been around a drunk woman or man? Enough said.

Maybe I'm naive, but I guess I just don't understand why so many automatically assume that allowing beer sales in the stadium translates to a stadium full of drunkards. I know binge drinking is common in college but is it really that unreasonable to expect people to have 2-3 beers and enjoy the game without being any more obnoxious and annoying than some fans tend to be already? I really don't think we'd see any beer bongs, keg stands or drinking games.

I have a three-year old and I don't want her around a bunch of drunks either. We've been to many different events where beer or alcohol is served and, so far, my only complaint has been with the Greenville Avenue St. Patrick's Day parade. We've never had any issues at a sporting event or amusement park.

Beer sales should be limited to wet t-shirt decks.

Pretending your worried about alcohol use and the colleges images is BS. The school lets beer companies sponsor all types of things. I'm also calling out FLF on alcohol is not family friendly. They sell beer at every sporting event which markets itself to a family friendly market.

• Upvote 2

Guest JohnDenver

Maybe I'm naive, but I guess I just don't understand why so many automatically assume that allowing beer sales in the stadium translates to a stadium full of drunkards.

I think we have a winner.

Alcohol isn't the problem, drunkards are. That is very similar to what my NRA membership card says about guns and people.

Unfortunately for both of us, adults eating meat and drinking beer are perfectly legal activities.

Fortunately, my kids know that eating flesh is bad and they should harshly judge those that do. I guess it is a teaching oppurtunity. Watching fat men eat brisket (especially those that overindulge in it) really is a learning experience for the youth.

Also, on the Rangers note, I will never-EVER take my kids to the dollar hotdog nights. Have you seen those people buying 10 hotdogs -- just because they can! Not even I, as a loving dad, can explain that behavior.

I thought there was only 1 judge ?

• Upvote 1

Guest JohnDenver

He's just baiting trying to draw folks in to a religious discussion.

Boooo. No religous talk.

It is pretty silly to blame alcohol for making an environment not family friendly. I consider Chucky Cheese Pizza to be very family friendly and I can still order a pitcher of beer. Too bad they insist on selling processed meats though.

It is pretty silly to blame alcohol for making an environment not family friendly. I consider Chucky Cheese Pizza to be very family friendly and I can still order a pitcher of beer. Too bad they insist on selling processed meats though.

I don't know about Chuck E Cheese being family friendly. There have been some serious brawls there over the years (not the Denton store, but nationwide).

I say yes as well, We have been talking about ways to get people out of the parking lot and into the stadium, what a great way to do that! Beer in the stadium would get more people in there and then when we start winning even more people come in!

If being around "drunkards" is a horrible thing then going to the game at all isn't really a great idea, you have to walk through the tailgating and the beer pong, then those folks actually come into the stands too... horrible. What about going out to eat at a eatery with a bar? There is bound to be someone that is loud and horribly drunk there occasionally. Far be it from me to question one's values when it comes to family and personal behavioral choices, but in this case I don't think that allowing the students and fans that are of age to purchase an overpriced plastic cup of warm watered down beer is going to add that element of "drunkard" to the game that people are afraid it will, that kind of drinking happens in the parking lot anyway. Hell when I was a student we used to create portable screwdrivers with vodka, the syringe they gave you when your wisdom teeth came out and an orange or three and carry those into the stadium. People have been drinking in that place for years, it is about time that the school and the student body as a whole benefit from it!

Guest JohnDenver

I don't know about Chuck E Cheese being family friendly. There have been some serious brawls there over the years (not the Denton store, but nationwide).

Good point. Let's use Showbiz pizza. Yet they had the strobe light room with the tiny child sized entrance. It seemed more torture than pleasure. Why don't we have those types of toys/entertainment anymore?

Guest JohnDenver

Hell when I was a student we used to create portable screwdrivers with vodka, the syringe they gave you when your wisdom teeth came out and an orange or three and carry those into the stadium. People have been drinking in that place for years, it is about time that the school and the student body as a whole benefit from it!

Wow, that is intense.

When I was a student I wanted one of these things:

Beer+Belly.jpg

But I couldn't really justify the cost. Instead we just pre-loaded, which was never too fun, in reality.

Then as an adult, we have the Ben E. Keith deck, but who wants to stand and watch the game from that angle? Fouts is bad enough on the fan, there is no need to make it worse just because you can.

Boooo. No religous talk.

I wouldn't consider any establishment that features a band full of soul stealing cyborg forest animals "family friendly."

• Upvote 3