North Texas Desires To Join The Wac

Harry

"...Still, the market and facilities -- plus what is seen as a desire to join the WAC according to a few college sports officials in the Texas area I have spoken to in the past week or two -- could make North Texas a target."

http://www.deseretnews.com/blog/25/10009300/USU-Aggies-blog-What-next-for-the-WAC.html

The guy is a major USU homer, and failed NT History, but does bring some reality to their situation on expansion...

"But if Texas is an area the WAC wants to look into, why not look at Houston, SMU and UTEP?

Primarily because there is no real advantage for those schools in jumping from Conference USA to the WAC."

I'd really love to know who this moron's Texas college athletic officials are? (or however he worded it). As we found out from all the wrong rumors during RealignmentPalooza......the only officials that matter are UNT officials.

And I doubt that RV wants to go to a Boise-less WAC.

What the current WAC brings us:

1) New road trips to Hawaii, Fresno, and San Jose

2) games back in the Kibbie Dome

3) a reunion with former conference mates USU, La Tech, NMSU, and Idaho.

4) Bowl games in Boise (which they probably won't keep)....Albuquerque and Hawaii.

5) Next year's WAC basketball tournament is in Las Vegas. We'll see how much Vegas, a really lousy sports town, supports the WAC basketball tournament. (since UNLV is in the MWC).

I once was in favor of us going to WAC (when they had Boise). Not any more. I love the Belt's bowl destinations of New Orleans and Mobile. And I love what we're building in Hot Springs with our b-ball tourneys.

Like others have said....if the WAC goes with an Eastern division....and gets some better bowl tie-ins.....I am open to reconsidering.

Excellent post !

Edited by MeanGreen61

The only advantage I see to joining the WAC is one of perception. The Sun Belt may well be a better football conference than both the (post Boise St) WAC and MAC, but the perception is otherwise.

I recall Waters making a point some ago as to why it was so important to hold on to Idaho in the Belt. He said it was because it was THE University of Idaho, the flagship institution of that state (albeit small). Everyone has heard of the U of Hawaii, U of Nevada, U of Idaho, etc. Of the Belt football schools, no one...including our own, has any sort of significant national name recognition. ULM, ULL, FIU, FAU, who?

This could all change, just look what Boise has done, but I don't see any Belt school duplicating their football success in the near future.

Still, I say stay in the Belt unless something better (CUSA?) comes along for many of the same reasons posted above.

wac membership would be a step up from where we are now. not an end all move.

One, the Wac has stated they want stability. They don't want a new member that wants to move to another conference at the first chance.

Two, as SUMG explained in another thread, it is not a step up but at best a step sideways.

WAC will bankrupt the program.

The program already runs over budget. We're subsidized by funds from the university.

WAC is not ideal, but I think it's better than the Sun Belt. Like Vito said, the athletic fee and the increased conference revenues would offset the increased travel costs.

Of course, if C-USA emails us an invitation then it's a no-brainer. But if not, we should take the WAC invite.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

combine petition to join the WAC with the petition to drop to 1-aa. :P

wac membership would be a step up from where we are now. not an end all move.

Fixed it for you. Joining the WACky would be a committment to mediocrity and set this program back 10 years.