Houston It Is!

KRAM1

OK, so I hear this rumor that UNT has set the opponent for the first game in the new stadium and it is...drum roll please.........HOUSTON!

So, not a bad set up for the first game. A Texas school with dreams of developing into a BCS player, an improving program and one that UNT can beat! It will not be a "walk-over" game, which I am very happy about, it is a bit of a "name" and it is a Texas school that should help bring some fans and have a bit of excitement to lend to the game.

So, if the rumor is true, what do you think? Me, I like the decision and the match-up even if it is not one of the service academy schools that I had hoped to see....I'm good with Houston and the Cougars...BEAT HOUSTON...GO MEAN GREEN!

• Upvote 2

Well, my "source" is well placed, so I'm thinking, yep, it's Houston, but, as we all know, things can change between now and then. However, like the opponent or not, it's time to stop all the whining and get behind the program. I know that whatever decision is made that there will probably be a 50/50 split between those who like the decision and those who don't. Seems that no matter what decisions are made about 50% seem to find some reason to not like it or have some problem with it.

Time to think positive and think "bigger". UNT CAN beat Houston and Houston does bring some "quality" to the opponent. Heck, some here on the board even think Houston is Big XII "ready". They may not "travel well", but they darn sure travel better than Middle Tennessee, Florida International, ULL, etc., etc., etc.

Much can be done between now and game day to make this a very very special event indeed.

GO MEAN GREEN! BEAT HOUSTON!!!!!

• Upvote 1

OK, so I hear this rumor that UNT has set the opponent for the first game in the new stadium and it is...drum roll please.........HOUSTON!

So, not a bad set up for the first game. A Texas school with dreams of developing into a BCS player, an improving program and one that UNT can beat! It will not be a "walk-over" game, which I am very happy about, it is a bit of a "name" and it is a Texas school that should help bring some fans and have a bit of excitement to lend to the game.

So, if the rumor is true, what do you think? Me, I like the decision and the match-up even if it is not one of the service academy schools that I had hoped to see....I'm good with Houston and the Cougars...BEAT HOUSTON...GO MEAN GREEN!

I like it! Assuming this will produce a return game in Houston which is a good. I say schedule as many CUSA opponents as you can at home. Show them a full stadium and good time! Open up opportunities for our Houston alums to see us play. Only problem I see is as things stand now their team will kill us, but hopefully we will have improved by then!

However, like the opponent or not, it's time to stop all the whining and get behind the program. I know that whatever decision is made that there will probably be a 50/50 split between those who like the decision and those who don't. Seems that no matter what decisions are made about 50% seem to find some reason to not like it or have some problem with it.

I've been trying to get the Dodge haters to understand this for nearly two years. They won't listen. But good try.

They dont travel for squat. At least thats the way it was the last time Houston High came up to Denton.

We would get a better visiting crowd if we played SWT.

Hopefully we wont need visitors to fill the seats for our first game in the new digs.

i think its great to play one of the best teams in cusa to see how we stack up against them. also, do they "travel" as well as we do ?

• Downvote 2

I like the idea of playing Houston, and I'll say something more....

I hope that this will be the beginning to a series of games against the University of Houston. The more we play regional foes, the better the ties when it comes to jumping conferences...or, inviting them into the Sun Belt with us after the Sun Belt takes over the world.

• Upvote 1

I like the idea of playing Houston, and I'll say something more....

I hope that this will be the beginning to a series of games against the University of Houston. The more we play regional foes, the better the ties when it comes to jumping conferences...or, inviting them into the Sun Belt with us after the Sun Belt takes over the world.

No question about it. Scary thing is that Houston has been good on the road under Sumlin. But that's okay. This is a good, geographically desirable game, and hopefully will be a sellout in the new place.

KRAM...Sources. Maybe not names, but how did this information come to you ? At a meeting ? A party ? Or just the way your alphabet soup lined up ?

If true, I like it. If SMU or TCU won't play us, let's go further south to someone that will. I could find something to get rilled up about with Houston once a year.

JOIN THE MEAN GREEN CLUB

BUY SEASON TICKETS.

CONTRIBUTE TO THE NEW STADIUM FUND.

GO MEAN GREEN

This should be a natural. Similar in size, core population, striving for tier 1 research status, degrees offered and academics. We were once a near-equal but they moved forward and we moved backward to the point that they have all to lose and nothing to gain even if they won against us.

For that reason I'd come nearer believing that TCU was to be the opening opponent. Or that a flock of pigs were descending on Denton.. Now tell us who the real opponent will be.

This should be a natural. Similar in size, core population, striving for tier 1 research status, degrees offered and academics. We were once a near-equal but they moved forward and we moved backward to the point that they have all to lose and nothing to gain even if they won against us.

For that reason I'd come nearer believing that TCU was to be the opening opponent. Or that a flock of pigs were descending on Denton.. Now tell us who the real opponent will be.

It may be good to take a bye that week.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

I heard the hope was that Houston would be our second game weeks ago. This is great, but I hope the other school is still in play, although I understand if they had bigger fish to fry with everything else going on. :ph34r:

• Upvote 1

It's nice to have an FCS tackling dummy team to beat when opening your new stadium. On the other hand, if we're ever going to start seriously entertaining the notion that North Texas can be a top 25 football team, beating Houston helps our cause where an FCS team hurts it. If true, I like the pick very much.

Edited by ColoradoEagle

I like the idea of Houston. They are the type of regional opponent we have been wanting to schedule more games with for years. Who cares if they travel well? It's OUR stadium, WE should fill it. If there is an obvious hole in the crowd where the visiting fans should be, so much the better. We need to get past this silly notion that we expect the VISITORS to fill OUR stadium.

Our fans should come to watch North Texas play whomever. We are slowing working that way. Building that kind of mentality into fans takes time but it certainly has it's reward in good basic attendance no mater who the visitor is. TCU has been working hard to build that kind of thinking for a number of years now and for a school with small privates they have very good attendance.

• Upvote 4

I dont think Houston travels that well and the Houston game could end up like the Tulsa game a few years back played in Denton...not so good...just don't have that much faith in UNT football right now...and for good reason...well I guess we will soon see.

It would be very defeating if this game turned into the Tulsa game. A lot of excitement. Hope. Visiting tailgaters. And then... oh no.

I heard the hope was that Houston would be our second game weeks ago. This is great, but I hope the other school is still in play, although I understand if they had bigger fish to fry with everything else going on. :ph34r:

Yes, I heard rumors a Big12 team was in play. Maybe they meant a Big12 wanna-be team? Still, I like this better than scheduling a 1-AA.

I think the stadium opening game would be a sellout regardless of opponent, although we are scheduled to open @ Tennessee the week before which could kill some enthusiasm.

• Upvote 1

KRAM...Sources. Maybe not names, but how did this information come to you ? At a meeting ? A party ? Or just the way your alphabet soup lined up ?

If true, I like it. If SMU or TCU won't play us, let's go further south to someone that will. I could find something to get rilled up about with Houston once a year.

JOIN THE MEAN GREEN CLUB

BUY SEASON TICKETS.

CONTRIBUTE TO THE NEW STADIUM FUND.

GO MEAN GREEN

Just read my post. Sources...you don't need no sources. If I rat them out, they'll be sources no more. laugh.gif

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 2