Talking About Wac Expansion On Espn Insider

jtm0097

Should league replace Boise?

Now that Boise State has flown the coop to the more prestigious Mountain West Conference, where does the WAC look for a replacement? With eight remaining schools, the conference could certainly stand pat and move forward without adding a replacement -- which, frankly, seems like a pretty logical thing to do given the lack of potential candidates and the certainty that no one is going to be able to fill the shoes of the Broncos.

But if the WAC decides to expand, where could it turn? Five western schools have been mentioned, according to Daniel Lyght of the Fresno Bee: Montana, Portland State, Sacramento State, Cal Poly and UC Davis -- all of which are I-AA schools and would have to upgrade their programs.

Jon Wilner of the San Jose Mercury News suggests North Texas, which is already a I-A school, would get the conference into recruit-rich Texas and would provide a travel partner (in nonrevenue sports) for lonely Louisiana Tech.

Frankly, we're not sure any of these six teams makes any sense, unless the schedule makers could guarantee than none of the other WAC schools would have to travel to both North Texas and Louisiana Tech in the same season. Why lower the quality of your football by taking in a I-A newbie? Why not just soldier on with eight, and only expand if a more logical candidate emerges down the road?

Should league replace Boise?

Now that Boise State has flown the coop to the more prestigious Mountain West Conference, where does the WAC look for a replacement? With eight remaining schools, the conference could certainly stand pat and move forward without adding a replacement -- which, frankly, seems like a pretty logical thing to do given the lack of potential candidates and the certainty that no one is going to be able to fill the shoes of the Broncos.

But if the WAC decides to expand, where could it turn? Five western schools have been mentioned, according to Daniel Lyght of the Fresno Bee: Montana, Portland State, Sacramento State, Cal Poly and UC Davis -- all of which are I-AA schools and would have to upgrade their programs.

Jon Wilner of the San Jose Mercury News suggests North Texas, which is already a I-A school, would get the conference into recruit-rich Texas and would provide a travel partner (in nonrevenue sports) for lonely Louisiana Tech.

Frankly, we're not sure any of these six teams makes any sense, unless the schedule makers could guarantee than none of the other WAC schools would have to travel to both North Texas and Louisiana Tech in the same season. Why lower the quality of your football by taking in a I-A newbie? Why not just soldier on with eight, and only expand if a more logical candidate emerges down the road?

go with ark. st and make it a 10 team round robin conference. works for mt. west and "new" big 12/southwest conference.