Votes Required For Admission To Cusa, Wac, Mwc

MeanGreen61

http://eagletalk.net/2010/06/17/votes-required-for-admission-to-cusa-wac-and-mwc.aspx

There is always talking about this school or that school keeping a certain school out of a certain conference. Can one school like Southern Methodist keep North Texas from becoming a member of Conference-USA? Could TCU keep North Texas out of the Mountain West Conference? Could LaTech keep North Texas out of the WAC?

The answer is not really.

Edited by MeanGreen61

http://eagletalk.net/2010/06/17/votes-required-for-admission-to-cusa-wac-and-mwc.aspx

There is always talking about this school or that school keeping a certain school out of a certain conference. Can one school like Southern Methodist keep North Texas from becoming a member of Conference-USA? Could TCU keep North Texas out of the Mountain West Conference? Could LaTech keep North Texas out of the WAC?

The answer is not really.

just having one vote and being able to keep a team in or out of a conference are not the same. smu has the power, in my opinion, to either help or hinder our hopes of admission into cusa should houston replace utah in mt.west. to say smu has " only " one vote in cusa is like saying texas has "only" one vote in big 12.

• Upvote 1

We will not be voted "into" CUSA. Why would UH, SMU, Rice, UTEP want another TX team? For more competition for recruits?

This is what your AD, President, & Chancellor are for. I think our AD has some friends in CUSA. I think our interim pres. has some friends in CUSA. I don't think our chancellor has any friends.

• Upvote 1

This is one of the most important things I've ever read on GOMEANGREEN.COM. The article lays to rest some of the myths that have floated around for years.

And why should other Texas CUSA teams support a North Texas membership ? Money. Travel isn't getting any cheaper and regional opponents would mean higher attendance. Shorter distances between games should be what conferences are all about. Fans want to watch teams they are familar with. Many of our fans don't know our conference mates. They do know other schools in this general area. Those are the teams we should be palying.

GO MEAN GREEN

Have you made your Stadium donation yet ?

Edited by greenjoe

This is what your AD, President, & Chancellor are for. I think our AD has some friends in CUSA. I think our interim pres. has some friends in CUSA. I don't think our chancellor has any friends.

Wasn't he hired because of his supposed friends in Austin, or should he have said Dallas? <_< Time for a change!

Edited by NT80

As pointed out before, I do not wish to post on this board for some reasons that has to do with what I'm doing.

I loved your post, but what does this sentence even mean? You trying to get enough visitors over there to join SB nation or something?

As pointed out before, I do not wish to post on this board for some reasons that has to do with what I'm doing. However, in response to your post. It is not accurate in any way shape or form. When I had my website on Rivals.com when North Texas was considered I was aware of some of the input.

Bottom line, North Texas would be in CUSA IF THEY HAD THE FACILITIES OR HAD PLANS FOR A NEW STADIUM at the time or fans in the stands. Houston, SMU and Rice would have voted North Texas in. North Texas was not admitted because their facilities were worse than high school facilities and there were a lot of people disguising themselves at seats. In other words no fan attendance. There was no commitment to improve the facilities, North Texas looked like they were going to ride the coattails of the other CUSA schools taking in conference revenue sharing and not improving facilities. Even with the bad facilities there were a lot of CUSA schools willing to vote North Texas in over UTEP.

North Texas Fans need to stop blaming others for their problems. SMU does not have the power in CUSA as many at North Texas think. There are schools in CUSA that are still sore when R. Gerald Turner was at Mississippi and would not play them. If memory serves me correct he said something to the effect playing them would not benefit us. Now he finds he is on the other end of the stick, so he now understands. If SMU had the power many think, they would have been in the Big 12 not Baylor.

Quit being negative on yourselves and blaming others for your problems. That is at the core of the problem with North Texas fans. People do not want to hear negative. People do not go to restaurants when they hear negative about it. People do not go to movies when they hear negative about the movie. People do not go out on a date when they hear negative about their date. People do not go hear a band when they hear negative about it. People do not go to nightlife places when they hear negative about it. People do not go to churches when they hear negative about it. People go to places where people are positive, where people are trying to do things positive, where they hear good things going on, where they are encouraged etc.

South Florida, Central Florida, UAB did not have great facilities when they were invited to CUSA but they were doing things to improve what they had. They had plans for the future. UTEP should not be in CUSA but their location stats they should be in the PAC-10 or MWC but they were invited in CUSA over North Texas because of facilities and FAN ATTENDANCE.

OK, so how can you help. Simple. North Texas does not have a terrible team. Their rebuilding went a little longer then expected. Look at the recruits coming in, many WANT to go to North Texas, why? As you have read in my stories the STADIUM. They want to play in a new stadium. They see the future of North Texas football. Many of these players are not leftover players but some are front line players.

For all those who said you have to fill up Fouts before building a new stadium hindered the program. It was good intentions but building a new stadium always bring in more fans and better players. It is true in all levels of play.

Buy more tickets even if you don't think you need them and bring along a neighbor, friend, enemy, customer etc. Fans in the stands will always override poor facilities and will accent the new one coming in. Getting someone to a game once could hook them into buying season tickets.

Do you realize there are many Southern Miss Alum purchasing season tickets for North Texas simply because of Rick Villarreal, Shelton Gandy and Chris Seroka? Those fans can not go to Southern Miss games so they attend North Texas games because of those Southern Miss Alums. So what if someone graduated from Houston, Rice, Texas, Tech etc buy a ticket for them and get them into Fouts Field. If they can't make home games from where they graduated, maybe you can get them going to North Texas home games and purchase season tickets.

College Football is not about the game, it is about THE GAME DAY EXPERIENCE. That game day experience is tailgating and everything else surrounding the day before and game day. Get to the tailgate and get to know people there and mingle with the tailgaters. If you know someone who has not been to a game, buy them a ticket, get them to the tailgating section get them to enjoy the game day experience. When talking, talk about all the good things about North Texas.

Every game should be Homecoming game.

Build the game day experience up and there will be no conference which will not want North Texas in it. There will be no team that could stop North Texas from getting into their conference. As long as you blame others for North Texas problems, there will be less time on solving the real problem and that is coming from within.

great post! yes, we need to take care of our business and hopefully good things will happen. having said that, wonder who would get the spot in cusa/west if houston replaces utah in mt. west. us or la.tech?

Bottom line, North Texas would be in CUSA IF THEY HAD THE FACILITIES OR HAD PLANS FOR A NEW STADIUM at the time or fans in the stands. Houston, SMU and Rice would have voted North Texas in. North Texas was not admitted because their facilities were worse than high school facilities and there were a lot of people disguising themselves at seats. In other words no fan attendance. There was no commitment to improve the facilities, North Texas looked like they were going to ride the coattails of the other CUSA schools taking in conference revenue sharing and not improving facilities.

That is just not true. North Texas had plans to improve ALL of it's athletic facilities except for the SuperPit at the time CUSA was exploring candidates. UTEP joined CUSA in July 2005. RV and Dr. Pohl had the Mean Green village drawn out when the golf course was returned to NT in 2002. CUSA knew of the plans.

Early November 2002 - Architects are employed to explore possible Athletic Complex/Residential facility on golf course.

http://www.unt.edu/golfcourseplans/reshallproject.htm

That is just not true. North Texas had plans to improve ALL of it's athletic facilities except for the SuperPit at the time CUSA was exploring candidates. UTEP joined CUSA in July 2005. RV and Dr. Pohl had the Mean Green village drawn out when the golf course was returned to NT in 2002. CUSA knew of the plans.

Early November 2002 - Architects are employed to explore possible Athletic Complex/Residential facility on golf course.

http://www.unt.edu/g...hallproject.htm

North Texas was passed up primarily because of the different levels of fan support and giving.

UTEP, even at its lowest point, owns El Paso. The AA Diablos are their only competition.

Here is UTEP's avg. football attendence:

2000 44,715

2001 28,360

2002 28,310

2003 20,009

2004 41,209

2005 47,899

2006 42,444

2007 36,568

2008 37,296

2009 29,010

Here is UTEP's avg. baseketball attendence:

2000-2001 9,657

2001-2002 7,068

2002-2003 6,038

2003-2004 10,282

2004-2005 10,405

2005-2006 9,695

2006-2007 8,707

2007-2008 8,145

2008-2009 8,675

2009-2010 8,697

North Texas was passed up primarily because of the different levels of fan support and giving.

UTEP, even at its lowest point, owns El Paso. The AA Diablos are their only competition.

Here is UTEP's avg. football attendence:

2000 44,715

2001 28,360

2002 28,310

2003 20,009

2004 41,209

2005 47,899

2006 42,444

2007 36,568

2008 37,296

2009 29,010

Here is UTEP's avg. baseketball attendence:

2000-2001 9,657

2001-2002 7,068

2002-2003 6,038

2003-2004 10,282

2004-2005 10,405

2005-2006 9,695

2006-2007 8,707

2007-2008 8,145

2008-2009 8,675

2009-2010 8,697

You sure those aren't the number of homicides in El Paso during the season?

• Upvote 2

You sure those aren't the number of homicides in El Paso during the season?

*rimshot*

But seriously, about 9 of those seasons would make it into our top 10 season averages.

When UTEP is a bad, people show up.

When UTEP is good, they draw more than TCU.

If they ever have a BCS level season like TCU had last year, they'll probably drawn 50k+.

ETA: TCU drew 34k last year. In the last ten years they have twice averaged more than Amon G. Carter can even hold, which TCU has complained is too large for them and needs to be remodeled to a smaller size.

This is all while UTEP had good, not great, teams.