Univ Of Houston Making Push To Big 12

big 12 says they have no immediate plans for expansion, and if they did, they would not add tcu or any other school in texas. if houston is lucky, the will get the spot in mt. west that comes available this week when utah moves to pac10. if north texas is lucky, we will get houston's spot in cusa. if i'm lucky, i will get.....

Interesting that one jumps immediately to the conclusion that UNT is not doing much. My guess is that UNT is doing quite a bit and that unless one is involved in the process they really have no clue. And, if anyone thinks Houston is going immediately to the Big XII or whatever it will be called now, they may have to throttle back those hopes...at least for awhile. The reports I have read say that, for now, the Big "Whatever" is fine with ten members.

But, to the bigger issue. These type of comments do absolutely no good, and are a reflection of the "stinking thinking" (to borrow a phrase from Zig Zigler) so prevalent in may of UNT's so-called fans. The first thought is not that UNT is probably working behind the scenes very diligently to keep track of all that is going on, but rather that UNT is probably doing nothing because there is some report that some other school is doing this or that. Good grief.

I think the powers that be at UNT are very wise to keep their traps shut about what they are or are not doing when it comes to possible conference realignment. When/if the time comes to go public, they will. All the BS coming out of Aggieland recently about playing second fiddle to UT and how they may bolt to the SEC, etc. really made the Aggies look good now that they have decided to "stay" with the remaining ten schools. They would have been better served to work behind the scenes, do their homework and when fully prepared make a statement. Now, it looks like they have accepted their role as "underling" to UT.

Until UNT fans, students and supporters think and act like UNT is a quality and Big Time program no one else will take UNT that seriously. This challenge goes right to the heart of the matter and each and every person who wants UNT to progress in a positive way CAN help make that happen. Believing UNT is second class will not help!

I'll see you at the top?

Interesting that one jumps immediately to the conclusion that UNT is not doing much. My guess is that UNT is doing quite a bit and that unless one is involved in the process they really have no clue. And, if anyone thinks Houston is going immediately to the Big XII or whatever it will be called now, they may have to throttle back those hopes...at least for awhile. The reports I have read say that, for now, the Big "Whatever" is fine with ten members.

But, to the bigger issue. These type of comments do absolutely no good, and are a reflection of the "stinking thinking" (to borrow a phrase from Zig Zigler) so prevalent in may of UNT's so-called fans. The first thought is not that UNT is probably working behind the scenes very diligently to keep track of all that is going on, but rather that UNT is probably doing nothing because there is some report that some other school is doing this or that. Good grief.

I think the powers that be at UNT are very wise to keep their traps shut about what they are or are not doing when it comes to possible conference realignment. When/if the time comes to go public, they will. All the BS coming out of Aggieland recently about playing second fiddle to UT and how they may bolt to the SEC, etc. really made the Aggies look good now that they have decided to "stay" with the remaining ten schools. They would have been better served to work behind the scenes, do their homework and when fully prepared make a statement. Now, it looks like they have accepted their role as "underling" to UT.

Until UNT fans, students and supporters think and act like UNT is a quality and Big Time program no one else will take UNT that seriously. This challenge goes right to the heart of the matter and each and every person who wants UNT to progress in a positive way CAN help make that happen. Believing UNT is second class will not help!

Maybe UNT should act a little more Big time....that is my whole point...we should be focusing on a better conference...like the Mt West or Big 12, etc....everyone talks about TCU going here, UH going there...and maybe if UNT is lucky they can get the leftovers...is that Big thinking?

Anyway, us who have been following the program since Hayden Fry's days at UNT....that is why we say "not likely"...its called history and is why we are setting at about 119 or so in the polls and have been in that range for many years. At least there is hope now with the new stadium...this was the biggest roadblock to everything.

What KRAM said... ditto

Besides Houstonmeangreen.... How can you honestly look at what we have done facilities wise, in Basketball, in tennis, in finances thanks to the new student fee etc. and ask what UNT is doing?!?! that's crazy talk. Our Football squad is in a down mode right now but everything else is going great or building to great. There is a broader picture to look at here and UNT is doing a great job positioning itself to be a player when our opportunity comes, and that looks like it is going to be soon.

All you have to do to answer your question "what is UNT doing?" is look across the highway from Fouts... There is a big hole in the ground with bleachers and concrete springing forth, a multi-million $ athletic center full of top of the line equipment, a fantastic soccer complex, great tennis facilities and offices filled with good, quality coaches and staffs. All of it shows me that "what is UNT doing?" is a question that has been ansked on for some time now, not only that it seems to me that they have been working on an answer to it as well. Your "my guess ... not much" attitude deserves a sight seeing trip up 35 and a stop at the Super Pit to see JJ and his guys play.

What KRAM said... ditto

Besides Houstonmeangreen.... How can you honestly look at what we have done facilities wise, in Basketball, in tennis, in finances thanks to the new student fee etc. and ask what UNT is doing?!?! that's crazy talk. Our Football squad is in a down mode right now but everything else is going great or building to great. There is a broader picture to look at here and UNT is doing a great job positioning itself to be a player when our opportunity comes, and that looks like it is going to be soon.

All you have to do to answer your question "what is UNT doing?" is look across the highway from Fouts... There is a big hole in the ground with bleachers and concrete springing forth, a multi-million $ athletic center full of top of the line equipment, a fantastic soccer complex, great tennis facilities and offices filled with good, quality coaches and staffs. All of it shows me that "what is UNT doing?" is a question that has been ansked on for some time now, not only that it seems to me that they have been working on an answer to it as well. Your "my guess ... not much" attitude deserves a sight seeing trip up 35 and a stop at the Super Pit to see JJ and his guys play.

JJ has done great things for UNT basketball, just like Fry did for football...but they are only getting about 2700 per game...that is my point..what is the AD doing about the turnout?

Maybe UNT should act a little more Big time....that is my whole point...we should be focusing on a better conference...like the Mt West or Big 12, etc....everyone talks about TCU going here, UH going there...and maybe if UNT is lucky they can get the leftovers...is that Big thinking?

Anyway, us who have been following the program since Hayden Fry's days at UNT....that is why we say "not likely"...its called history and is why we are setting at about 119 or so in the polls and have been in that range for many years. At least there is hope now with the new stadium...this was the biggest roadblock to everything.

I'm afraid I have to agree with KRAM on this one. I just don't know what good it would do to publicly announce our intentions to join another conference. East Carolina's AD publicly announced their desire to move to the Big East and CUSA's desire to "absorb" the Big XII leftovers. He was premature in his announcement and actually looks quite silly now. The schools you mentioned, TCU and Houston, have had significantly more football success recently than North Texas has. Unfortunately, for that reason, we'd be publicly ridiculed if our AD announced we were actively pursuing an invite to the MWC or Big XII. Even if we were able to get into a different conference, you can be assured there would be many who'd question our worthiness because our recent football record has been less than stellar. Sure, we know we have improved the overall program by leaps and bounds but that doesn't translate to support by the general public or the media. Any conference president willing to invite UNT to join their conference would, no doubt, have to defend that decision to members and fans of that conference.

Houston needs to worry about filling their stadium and their pie in the sky athletic complex first. UH adds less to a conference right now than we do. If they can turn their team into a perennial top 25 presence instead of just flirting with it, and if they can start filling their stadium and/or start construction on their new one, then things might be different.

Same goes for us. If we can become a perennial top 25 presence and fill the new stadium so regularly that we start talking about that expansion to 50,000, then we will be at the point where we can start talking Mountain West, or heaven forbid, an autoqualifier conference.

Right now this is just a bunch of hot air that makes Houston look desperate.

I think it'd be great if Houston got in, but it won't happen. Houston doesn't add any new markets to the Big 12 and just divides the pot more. I think the Big 12 stays at 10 as long as UT stays most likely.

I think this will last (10 teams) if the “UT+9” Conference (formally known as the Big 12 conference) gets an exemption and is allowed to have a conference championship game. If not you would think they would pick up a couple of more schools. As far as an exemption it will be interesting to see how hard the PAC-10 objects to this.

JJ has done great things for UNT basketball, just like Fry did for football...but they are only getting about 2700 per game...that is my point..what is the AD doing about the turnout?

Great questions, but that doesn't change the fact that we have been doing something. Winning fixes most ills in sports as we all know and I don't see that changing any time soon, but it still takes time. Texas is a football state and Basketball will always play second fiddle, but JJ and his kids are getting plenty of attention recently and with the proper advertising and promotion next year could be HUGE for them! But to answer your question about attendance, look at the numbers when Ok State came in, what is going to hapen when Tech comes to town? What happens we we play a team that has a bit of a name behind it? We seem to fill those games pretty well. Maybe that is a sad commentary on the fickleness of our fans but that just seems to be us and believe it or not it is getting better, much better.

UNT has changed its face dramatically from the time that I began there as a student in 2000. When I arrived on campus green was an accent color in most students wardrobes and UNT Basketball was a joke for most students. Now you see more green, more UNT shirts and hats and more pride about the university then I can remember not to mention recent conference championship banners hanging in the gym! Denton is starting to support their local school more now, I still don't think it is enough but that is another thread altogether, and students are taking the needed steps to make the university more visible to the general public. The athletic fee, if nothing else, should convince you of that. I know there have been tough times in the past, failed votes to fund athletics, crappy conferences, horrible basketball, horrible football, fouts.... But don't remember the only the past at the expense of what is shaping up to be a bright future! There are good things happening at UNT but like anything else in life that is good it takes time for everything to coalesce into what we dream our university can be.

GMG

• Upvote 1

I think this will last (10 teams) if the UT+9 Conference (formally known as the Big 12 conference) gets an exemption and is allowed to have a conference championship game. If not you would think they would pick up a couple of more schools. As far as an exemption it will be interesting to see how hard the PAC-10 objects to this.

I don't think so...UT and OU have both taken a stand against a championship game. Hell, if they get their own network up and running, the Horns probably make up the money they'd lose by not playing one anyways.

Edited by CMJ

I don't think so...UT and OU have both taken a stand against a championship game. Hell, if they get their own network up and running, the Horns probably make up the money they'd lose by not playing one anyways.

Correct, they don't want a championship game because they fear an extra loss could keep them from a BCS game and money. But, they are truly naive if they think a Big XII and/or Longhorn TV network is going to make them as much money as they've been told. Once they find out the numbers won't hold up over time, the conference realignment mess will start up again. Anybody can throw some meaningless figures down on a piece of paper and make promises they can't keep.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=VRrMu7B1L2I

• Upvote 1

I love our program and I enjoy supporting it. But what I don't understand is why so many here say we need to act as if we are a big time program. What defines 'big time?' Are all division 1 schools 'big time' programs?

Sadly I would never classify us as a big time program. Not yet. Hopefully one day. But becoming a big time program doesn't start with it's fan base just pretending until everyone else catches on. It starts with building facilities (check), playing other big time programs, and winning those games.

We are on our way but until we can beat BCS conference schools we aren't on their level. Sorry.

• Upvote 2

Correct, they don't want a championship game because they fear an extra loss could keep them from a BCS game and money. But, they are truly naive if they think a Big XII and/or Longhorn TV network is going to make them as much money as they've been told. Once they find out the numbers won't hold up over time, the conference realignment mess will start up again. Anybody can throw some meaningless figures down on a piece of paper and make promises they can't keep.

I have already read that a lack of a conference championship in the Big 12-2 and the round robin play if kept will likely hurt rankings for the top team, especially in years where the rest of Big 12-2 appears weak. Just three OOC games was listed as not enough balance.

It is what I have read in a couple of articles, I can understand the idea but I don't know if it is true.

Anybody can throw some meaningless figures down on a piece of paper and make promises they can't keep.

Why are you so sure the new TV numbers won't hold up? The Big XII TV contract is older than both the Big 10 and SEC deals and thus has yet to be effected by the inflated rates those deals created. Plus with 10 schools, they can play a true round robin format which the networks, well the Disney networks at least, have said they prefer.

I could easily have missed an article explaining this!

Just because Dave Justice, moron that he is, writes an opinion column in the Houston Chronicle regarding what Cougar High should do doesn't mean Cougar High is doing it. Their stadium sucks, their basketball venue is a dump, etc... Facilities wise we are ahead of them, now all we need is for Randy Galloway to write an article touting his opinion about why we should be in the BigXII-II, and we'll jump ahead of Houston.

• Upvote 1

I love our program and I enjoy supporting it. But what I don't understand is why so many here say we need to act as if we are a big time program. What defines 'big time?' Are all division 1 schools 'big time' programs?

Sadly I would never classify us as a big time program. Not yet. Hopefully one day. But becoming a big time program doesn't start with it's fan base just pretending until everyone else catches on. It starts with building facilities (check), playing other big time programs, and winning those games.

We are on our way but until we can beat BCS conference schools we aren't on their level. Sorry.

This is the solution to NT's problem, but it takes $$$$, and lots of it. Look at the perrenial top teams in any sport. Hell look at track and field. Texas A&M has won back-to-back national championships and its budget reflects that. Can't taste Cristal when you're only willing to pay for Milwaukee's Best.

I honestly think that the train from Carrollton up to Denton will help with this so long as they work with the school to coordinate for basketball games. One of the main reasons there are so few people at basketball games currently is because it's just near impossible to get into Denton around 6:00 PM on a weekday. If people can just park and ride, and especially if that can be worked into the season ticket package, there'll be an improvement.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying we're going to double our attendance, but I could easily see the average per game going up 500-1000.

• Upvote 1