Texas To Stay In Big Xii

MeanGreen61

Now, the source that broke the story (104.9) is essentially saying that their twitter account was hacked:

http://twitter.com/1049TheHorn

1. We apologize, but it seems like someone had access to the account that shouldn't have.
  2. 104.9 The Horn DID NOT report that Air Force and BYU would be two new Big12 teams.

ESPNNEWS just reported that Texas confirmed their intention to stay in the Big XII.

So what does everyone who said all this was a load of bunk gotta say now?

Probably quote another stupid rumor from Google News for us all to drool over breathlessly.

PAC 10 commish confirmed Texas turned down offer, I don't think they would have done that unless aTm was staying.

I guess some teams will always be in the shadow of their big brother. I was really hoping A&M would make the jump to the SEC. The ticket just reported (through ESPN) that the new Big 10 will give UT, OU and A&M $20 mil a year, while the other schools get $14 mil. UT and OU also have the right to pursue their own football network. Also, no championship game for the new Big 10.

I don't know if this is all done yet. Sure would have liked to have been a fly on the wall in the UT President's office.

I guess some teams will always be in the shadow of their big brother. I was really hoping A&M would make the jump to the SEC. The ticket just reported (through ESPN) that the new Big 10 will give UT, OU and A&M $20 mil a year, while the other schools get $14 mil. UT and OU also have the right to pursue their own football network. Also, no championship game for the new Big 10.

I don't know if this is all done yet. Sure would have liked to have been a fly on the wall in the UT President's office.

I don't understand where this money is coming from. In this economy, you are telling me a B12 WITHOUT Nebraska is worth more than one WITH it?

This is through FSN, they better make sure this money is guaranteed. Otherwise they, like those XFL teams, may never see it.

I don't understand where this money is coming from. In this economy, you are telling me a B12 WITHOUT Nebraska is worth more than one WITH it?

This is through FSN, they better make sure this money is guaranteed. Otherwise they, like those XFL teams, may never see it.

I'll be serious for once. Is this little more than Texas leveraging their position to get someone else to finance the infrastructure to create their own Notre Dame-like empire in a few years? When the league ultimately falls apart and Texas breaks into their own stratosphere with a super-TV network in place for any conference or, gasp, station looking for an independent program to feature, will the other teams still be happy they played such a subordinate role?

Either way, we're one step closer to the end of amateur college athletics.

• Upvote 1

I'll be serious for once. Is this little more than Texas leveraging their position to get someone else to finance the infrastructure to create their own Notre Dame-like empire in a few years? When the league ultimately falls apart and Texas breaks into their own stratosphere with a super-TV network in place for any conference or, gasp, station looking for an independent program to feature, will the other teams still be happy they played such a subordinate role?

I'll be serious back. Yes, IMHO, that is exactly what is going on.

I also don't know who is coming up with this money, even the lowest compensated members are doubling thier money. In this economy? With a much weaker north division? BYU is going to bring this much money in?

It's just proof that we need to start even earlier, and talk even more, about potential future realignment scenarios once the current situation finishes playing out.

We obviously just didn't devote enough time, thought, and typing to properly anticipate the shifts. Orangebloods.com PASSED US BY.

It also means, we need to talk about more about TV contracts and money. Or can we?

After doing a little research I learned that Fox Sports is actually involved in the Big 10 network as well. Fox Sports owns 49% of the network. So, I will say that FSN does have that little bit of history and experience to drawn upon.

However, the Big 10 has several more large DMAs within their "footprint" than does the Big 12-2. The Big 10 has relevance in #3 Chicago, #4 Philadelphia, #11 Detroit, #15 Minneapolis-St. Paul, #17 Cleveland-Akron, #23 Pittsburgh (shared with Pitt), #25 Indianapolis, #33 Cincinnati, #34 Columbus and #35 Milwaukee whereas the Big 12 (without Nebraska and Missouri) only has relevance in #5 Dallas-Ft. Worth, #10 Houston and #37 San Antonio. Oklahoma City #45 and Austin #48 are, arguably the only other top 50 markets that have a significant Big 12 following. Tulsa is #61, Harlingen is #87 and Waco-Temple-Bryan is #89 and that's it for the top 100 DMAs. The blossoming DMA of Lubbock (or so Red Raiders would have you think) ranks in at #143 out 210 total DMAs. Needless to say, the Big 10 covers quite a few more TV households than the Big 12 (probably with just their top 3 DMAs).

Regardless, as I've mentioned before, the days of the current TV ratings model, which is based on Nielsen ratings, are numbered. As advertising effectiveness becomes more accurately measured and more accountable, advertisers will realize it doesn't take 25 exposures to the same AT&T commercial during March Madness to make an impact. In fact, it's just the opposite, too much frequency results in consumer wear-out and causes people who were otherwise impartial to suddenly be turned off by that advertiser. Furthermore, as technology - particularly in the streaming video platform, evolves, advertisers will be able to more accurately target only those consumers who are in the market for their product. They'll also be able to instantly track performance metrics and limit the numbers of ad exposures to individual consumers, cutting out the shotgun/blanket approach and eliminating wasted spending and....the days of mass reach will be over. When that happens, the niche cable networks will have to adjust their business models to compensate for lost advertising revenue. This will ultimately force TV networks and viewers to an on demand/streaming video consumption model. In the not too distant future, you can expect the majority of your "TV" consumption to be of the on demand/streaming video variety. You can already see that TVs are becoming more and more connected to the internet. There are still many intangibles that could help save TV/Cable networks and their providers (DirecTV, Comcast, etc) but their overall profits are destined to be greatly reduced because advertisers will only pay for those consumers who actually interact with their message. That means if you're a 25 year-old man, you'll no longer have to sit through those Boniva osteoporosis commercials.

I hope I didn't lose too many people on that. The long and short of it is Fox Sports has reportedly promised the 10 Big 12 schools $17 million per year for 18 years. That totals over $3 billion but the greater issue is that the TV landscape is going to be so drastically different in 18 years that it will be impossible to fulfill that agreement.

This is a bit exaggerated, but think of your future advertising experience like this, without the retina scans and, hopefully, limited to a more personal/less public media consumption environment. It's a win/win because you, as a consumer, won't be bombarded by a lot of crap that doesn't interest you and advertisers won't be wasting their time and money on people who will never buy their product. When watching a live event, such as a football game, 100 different people watching the same game, could be served 100 different advertisements, customized to each person's interests.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=nQbVD5hlddk

I'll be serious back. Yes, IMHO, that is exactly what is going on.

I also don't know who is coming up with this money, even the lowest compensated members are doubling thier money. In this economy? With a much weaker north division? BYU is going to bring this much money in?

Well, divisions are dead now, right? Probably 9 conference games and one outright winner. Hope they've figured out the tie breaker rules.

3 non-conference games now... I hope Iowa State hurries up and signs that contract.

@gangrene don't you mean without Nebraska and Colorado? Also, didn't you forget Kansas City, St. Louis, and Des Moines?

You're right, I guess I wrote Missouri off last week. So, add Missouri back in the Big 12 mix and it actually helps out, but still not enough to compete with the total households of the Big 10 footprint. For Missouri, you can add in #21 St. Louis and #32 Kansas City as markets of relevance. Iowa State brings very little to the table in terms of TV households as the Des Moines-Ames DMA ranks #72 and is divided with the University of Iowa.

A good article by Katz at ESPN regarding what happened this week. Keep in mind that there are a lot of forces that DO NOT want to see the BCS go away, and for already-signed contracts to be enforced.

Essentially, the Big 12 South (read: Texas) cut an unhappy school, a school that was delivering nothing to the conference, eliminated the championship game--which all the schools hated anyway--,more than doubled their own TV money, kept their rivalries intact, can now pursue their own networks, and increased revenues for OU, aTm, and the rest of the Big 12.

I can't say I saw it coming, but it looks like the rich will get richer.

Here's a link to the article:

Katz

A good article by Katz at ESPN regarding what happened this week. Keep in mind that there are a lot of forces that DO NOT want to see the BCS go away, and for already-signed contracts to be enforced.

Essentially, the Big 12 South (read: Texas) cut an unhappy school, a school that was delivering nothing to the conference, eliminated the championship game--which all the schools hated anyway--,more than doubled their own TV money, kept their rivalries intact, can now pursue their own networks, and increased revenues for OU, aTm, and the rest of the Big 12.

I can't say I saw it coming, but it looks like the rich will get richer.

Here's a link to the article:

Katz

Funny. The NFL is headed to labor disaster over TV revenue sharing...and meanwhile...this is cool. Enjoy your tuition and books, kids. We made them back in ad revenue before kickoff.

Funny. The NFL is headed to labor disaster over TV revenue sharing...and meanwhile...this is cool. Enjoy your tuition and books, kids. We made them back in ad revenue before kickoff.

I guess ESPN saw the coming PAC10/16 TV juggernaut and blinked. Crazy stuff.

I just had a hard believing all along that schools in Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas and Missouri would want to be under the organizational umbrella of a conference headquartered in Walnut Creek, California. Makes no more sense than a school in Denton, Texas wanting to be under an administration headquartered in Dallas, Texas.

Here's the self identification of the PAC 10:

About the PAC 10

IT AIN'T OVER UNTIL IT IS OVER ----- and it ain't over. [Yogi B. ]

The PAC-11 isn't going to stop at 11... They WILL get a 12th team. Hello... Mountain West.. you will lose one. My guess is Utah but BYU and Air Force may be unlikely targets.

MOUNTAIN WEST just went to 9... they will likely be back to 8... will they raid the WAC or maybe go after UTEP? [and is 10 or 12 their ultimate goal??? ]

The WAC... they are in serious trouble...they now have 8... and can't have less.. and may lose some to Mountain West. I would think LaTech might be gone too if the opportunity arises. Hopefully UNT has no desire to join this mess... They will likely looking at Montana of lower division Big Sky Conf. and may need even more than one.... They appear to be the weakest and most troubled upper division conference now.

The Big XII [ with 10 members ) Stay pat for a while or hunt for two more.... Houston?, TCU? (looks unlikely to me for multiple reasons), Memphis [i would think the Northern teams, Kansas, Missouri etc. might like them. good in basketball and has been ok at times in football and would be a new market area. ] I would scratch Rice, Tulsa, SMU, UTEP, as candidates ] I would like to include NT.... maybe in time because of our market and size of students and alum base.. but not now... we need to improve..

CUSA .... could be mess after this is over.... not in as bad situation as WAC is... Can find some Sunbelt (UNT??) teams or maybe LaTech which hurts WAC even more.

The Belt will likely lost some teams to somewhere..maybe CUSA and maybe NT. Their membership size helps them plus a few teams in area want to move up to first division.

The rest ...too far down the chain to feel much if any change.

THE WAC IS NOW HURTING and without Boise is rather weak... they even have some of old Sunbelt teams that were "no world-beaters" and they may be the some the best left.

.... My opinion of the situation....

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66