Texas To Stay In Big Xii

MeanGreen61

I'm afraid this is bad news for North Texas' hopes of moving into a better conference. If the Big XII survives as ten members and the Pac-10 only adds Utah, the MWC may or may not add another school to their conference. Likewise, the WAC may be content to only replace BSU with one school, possibly Montana. That would leave North Texas' status in the SBC unchanged. I don't see the MWC adding any CUSA schools at this point because I don't see any that significantly increase the strength of the MWC and their #1 goal is to gain AQ status.

A&M would be colossally stupid not to accept an invite to the SEC if there's one on the table. All this realignment has shown is that UT-Austin will do anything to get what they want, and that won't change the next time around. What will change the next time around, is the SEC option might not be there.

Of course, this is probably all just a big PR attempt to blame A&M and Nebraska for the collapse of the Big 12.

Edited by ColoradoEagle
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Well according to espn

Sources: Departure to Pac-10 coming

By Joe Schad

ESPN

Archive

The departure of Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State to the Pac-10 is imminent, four sources within the Big 12 said Monday.

One source said commissioner Dan Beebe's last-minute plan to save the conference has "zero" chance to succeed. Another source said it is "very unlikely" to succeed.

Texas' interests in being aligned with the research opportunities and academic missions of Pac-10 schools is driving the decision, along with money.

Beebe's last-ditch plan included an emotional plea about preserving rivalries and maintaining the best welfare of the student-athlete, one source said.

Texas A&M is now most likely to join the SEC, a source within the Big 12 said. This move, in the wake of Colorado and Nebraska's departure, would further diminish the chance of Beebe's plan succeeding, one source said.

Texas' decision is expected to come no later than Tuesday. One source familiar with Texas' plans suggested a hearing on Wednesday at the Texas House of Representatives is "a nonfactor."

Joe Schad covers college football for ESPN.

I don't know about yall but I dont think anyone knows what the hell is going on.

Edited by jtm0097
  • Upvote 3

I'm afraid this is bad news for North Texas' hopes of moving into a better conference. If the Big XII survives as ten members and the Pac-10 only adds Utah, the MWC may or may not add another school to their conference. Likewise, the WAC may be content to only replace BSU with one school, possibly Montana. That would leave North Texas' status in the SBC unchanged. I don't see the MWC adding any CUSA schools at this point because I don't see any that significantly increase the strength of the MWC and their #1 goal is to gain AQ status.

A BETTER CONFERENCE= ONE IN WHICH WE COULD BE COMPETITIVE, UNTIL WE PROVE WE CAN DO THAT IN THE SBC, THERE IS NO BETTER CONFERENCE. FOR THE WAC TO TAKE A 1-AA SCHOOL LIKE MT, IT SHOWS THAT AT BEST THE WAC W/O BOISE IS A LATERAL MOVE AT THE VERY BEST OF SCENARIOS.WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME UNT BEAT TROY, FAU, MTSU, ETC. WHAT CONSTITUTES BETTER IF WE CAN'T INCREASE OUR ATHLETIC BUDGET TO MATCH THOSE IN THE "BETTER" CONFERENCE?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

Why would OU, Tech, A&M, and Ok St. choose to stay in a conference where the competitive advantage is so heavily tilted toward Texas, especially when they have other options?

This really doesn't make sense.

The late games, travel for all teams, and travel for fans. I have heard more and more that the Texas fans are not interested in making those trips. Further they are not interested in playing the Arizona Schools as yearly conference games.

So the Big 12 10 is the new 12 survives and Texas comes out and says "Our evil plan worked! We got rid of Colorado and Nebraska! We just didn't like going there and we love the rest of the gang."

This is really starting to smell like Texas hatched a plan to form the PAC-16 and Nebraska just gave them an excuse to launch it. Colorado ran ahead to cut off Baylor and A&M fouled the whole thing by actually considering a plan besides what Texas had it mind. If this is all true, I may have a new found respect for those guys in College Station.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

The late games, travel for all teams, and travel for fans. I have heard more and more that the Texas fans are not interested in making those trips. Further they are not interested in playing the Arizona Schools as yearly conference games.

No way OU allows UT to have it's own television plan unless OU gets the same treatment, regardless of late travel. OU could easily become an A&M-to-the-SEC partner if Texas decides to attempt to gain control over a new Big 10. A&M also would be soooo out on this plan, not to mention it wouldn't affect their plans of moving to the SEC.

I think this thing is a done deal. So long, Big 12.

So the Big 12 10 is the new 12 survives and Texas comes out and says "Our evil plan worked! We got rid of Colorado and Nebraska! We just didn't like going there and we love the rest of the gang."

This is really starting to smell like Texas hatched a plan to form the PAC-16 and Nebraska just gave them an excuse to launch it. Colorado ran ahead to cut off Baylor and A&M fouled the whole thing by actually considering a plan besides what Texas had it mind. If this is all true, I may have a new found respect for those guys in College Station.

I read somewhere that UT had said that IF Nebraska left and went to the Big 10 they were going to the Pac 10 and I think they really thought more of themselves in their ability to get all of these other teams to follow them and now that it is apparent to them that the Aggs are almost certain going to the SEC even with their "threat" to not play them, they are backing out.

But as Stewart Mandell said on The Ticket last friday, "whatever you hear about, has probably been discussed and dismiss nothing you hear."

It's just good to see those last 6 years of realignment threads here were able to predict so much of what's actually about to happen.

It's just proof that we need to start even earlier, and talk even more, about potential future realignment scenarios once the current situation finishes playing out.

We obviously just didn't devote enough time, thought, and typing to properly anticipate the shifts. Orangebloods.com PASSED US BY.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Big 12 would be smart to court TCU and maybe Colorado State or Iowa to fill in for Colorado and Nebraska leaving or make a stretch and add Memphis or Houston in order to place OU/OSU into North Division.