Texas A&m Making Their Way To The Sec?

UNT90

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/404878-sec-expansion-texas-am-just-the-first-potential-sec-addition

I usually have little use for this site, but this was also reported on Chl 5 sports last night.

I think Texas is pulling a big old bluff on A&M. The fans of both schools, including very powerful fans in the legislature and governor's office, want this series to continue, and it is a money maker for both schools. Texas is basically holding a gun on it's own foot and threatening A&M that they will shoot themselves if A&M doesn't do what they want. A pretty dangerous bluff.

And if Texas does go through with the bluff, make no mistake, they will be shooting themselves in the foot.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The blow to A&M would way worse than the blow to UT.

Agree, but it would be a big money loss for both, and as we all have come to see, money is the ONLY thing that matters in college athletics (football especially).

I think it is a pure pressure move on which TU has no intention of following through.

Agree, but it would be a big money loss for both, and as we all have come to see, money is the ONLY thing that matters in college athletics (football especially).

I think it is a pure pressure move on which TU has no intention of following through.

I think it would be funny if A&M came out an hour before the UT Board of Regents meeting and announced that they will be going to the SEC and that if UT doesn't go along with them, they will no longer be scheduling UT. If I am the Aggies, I go to the SEC for much the same reason as so many on here don't want to go to the WAC....the travel of so many long away games.

• Upvote 1

a&m will be playing in the SEC , this is more of a blow to UT in the long run.

SEC > Pac100

Recruiting will get better for a&m and they don't need the $ game with Texas because games vs Arkansas & LSU will do just fine.

Edited by NT03

Money maker? It does not make the schools any more money than their other home conference games? A&M takes the rivalry a lot more serious that Texas. Ask a Longhorn who they hate and they will say OU.

Attend a couple of A&M games at DKR and you'll the rivalry is alive and well. Part of the bit is not giving A&M the recognition/validation they crave.

a&m will be playing in the SEC , this is more of a blow to UT in the long run.

SEC > Pac100

Recruiting will get better for a&m and they don't need the $ game with Texas because games vs Arkansas & LSU will do just fine.

I don't see how it would improve A&Ms recruiting. They would do just as bad if not worse performance wise in the SEC. And it also opens it up for more schools from the SEC to recruit the top talent here in Texas.

I don't see how it would improve A&Ms recruiting. They would do just as bad if not worse performance wise in the SEC. And it also opens it up for more schools from the SEC to recruit the top talent here in Texas.

Selling a recruit to the SEC is easier than trying to sell a recruit to the PAC 10.

Selling a recruit to the SEC is easier than trying to sell a recruit to the PAC 10.

Even if that was true how would that really help to improve their recruiting? All that's doing along with Texas to the Pac 10 is allowing more schools to recruit within the state. A&M will be nothing more than another Arkansas. And look what they've done recently.

Even if that was true how would that really help to improve their recruiting? All that's doing along with Texas to the Pac 10 is allowing more schools to recruit within the state. A&M will be nothing more than another Arkansas. And look what they've done recently.

Every team in the country already recruits Texas , conference shifting is not going to change anything. All colleges have been coming to the great state of Texas for several years tying to steal away talent

Because they go head to head w/ UT,OU,OK St on almost every single recruit they get. A a&m coach can go into a kid's house and say " wouldn't you want to play in the best conference in the country ? "

Not saying they will be a dominant team in the SEC , but compared to the BIG XII teams that may be leaving they will have a edge over them on potential future players

Not to mention the more $ they will get from the SEC compared to the PAC 10

Edited by NT03

I'll never understand these Arkansas comparisons. Just more baseless spin. The big difference between aTm and arky when it comes to Texas recruits? aTm is IN TEXAS. Kids actually grow up in this state wanting to play major college football in-state. aTm will be able to offer them the BEST football. And don't give me this "but they'll lose in the sec and recruits won't sign" baloney. Baylor has recruited based on who they play and not much else for years. Unlike Baylor, though, aTm isn't horrible...just ask that UT defense.

• Upvote 2

I'm talking about why Arkansas has become since the went to the sec. Talks about it in today dmn. They have fallen off the edge of the earth. And yes every school recruits Texas because we have the best talent here. But the other schools don't have as much to sell currently. When ut and a&m move these other schools will have even more ammo to use to get Texas recruits. Come play with Alabama and now you can still play in front of friends and family.

I'm talking about why Arkansas has become since the went to the sec. Talks about it in today dmn. They have fallen off the edge of the earth. And yes every school recruits Texas because we have the best talent here. But the other schools don't have as much to sell currently. When ut and a&m move these other schools will have even more ammo to use to get Texas recruits. Come play with Alabama and now you can still play in front of friends and family.

Arkansas last 2 years in the SWC they went 9 - 14 , so it's not like they were in national title hunts

Yes I agree it helps teams like Alabama for Texas players , but like I said in the beginning that would hurt UT more than a&m

Not the new Pac 15-16, with a West division that includes Tech, OU, Ok St., and UT.

By the way, I think that would make the Pac 15-16 the best football conference.

Arkansas last 2 years in the SWC they went 9 - 14 , so it's not like they were in national title hunts

Yes I agree it helps teams like Alabama for Texas players , but like I said in the beginning that would hurt UT more than a&m

How would that hurt ut more than the ags? Ut gets pretty much whoever they want while the ages already have to fight tooth and nail for who they get. Yes a little harder for ut but not near the same as a&m

From 1958, the beginning of broyles tenure, to 1989 Arkansas went 259-96-8. Not to shabby.

From 1958, the beginning of broyles tenure, to 1989 Arkansas went 259-96-8. Not to shabby.

Well in the 1950s - 60s teams like Army & North Texas were good too

Since 1980 Arkansas has been irrelevant when it comes to being a " National Power" .A few good shaddy years under Holtz in the early 80s and thats about

Texas-Texas A&M is the most overrated rivalry in college football. I'd rather watch (insert any SEC rivalry) than that double-barrel sack full of garbage.

Texas A&M has a long rivalry with LSU that should be renewed. That'd be instantly better than watching them play the cowards of Austin. If UT is so rough and tough, they'll schedule A&M and OU even if they end up in different conferences.

Texas needs those rivalries. They've got nothing else. No one cares about Texas-Oklahoma State, Texas-Texas Tech, or Texas and anybody else.

That's why Texas is always threatening to leave, then never going. They know they're a worthless pile of dogsnot without OU and Texas A&M on their schedule.

Texas-Arizona/Arizona State? Yawn.

OU/Texas A&M-LSU/Arkansas/Ole Miss, etc. That'd be good football.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Well in the 1950s - 60s teams like Army & North Texas were good too

Since 1980 Arkansas has been irrelevant when it comes to being a " National Power" .A few good shaddy years under Holtz in the early 80s and thats about

That's my point exactly. Arkansas has been pretty much irrelevant since they left for the sec. That's what A&M will become. Either way looks like its not happening. So who's gonna be our qb, tune or Thompson?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

That's my point exactly. Arkansas has been pretty much irrelevant since they left for the sec. That's what A&M will become. Either way looks like its not happening. So who's gonna be our qb, tune or Thompson?

a&m is not relevant now nor will they be in the future. I didn't mean that they would suddenly jump to a top 10 ranking by moving conferences .... my whole point is that if they are battling head to head with a rercuit vs Texas or OU they would now have a little edge by saying hey come play in the SEC.

Oh well I hope the BIG XII or BIG X stays in tact.. Do they big xii & big x just trade names ?? This is going to get confusing

I think it starts out w/ Tune , but by the end of the season Derek Thompson takes over and is our QB of the future

Edited by NT03