Could The Big Xii Get A Waiver ?

MeanGreen61

With Colorado, Texas, A&M, Tech, Nebraska, OU and OSU leaving the conference drops to five. Is it correct that to maintain their NCAA credits and BB auto bid that the number playing together for x number of years must be six ? If the conference applied for an exemption to rebuild #s wonder if the NCAA would grant it ? With a core of Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas, K-State and Missouri they should be able to attract 7 pretty decent teams from other conferences. Thoughts ?

Edited by MeanGreen61

Still, what decent teams would leave their current conference? I can't see the new Big 12 being better than the MWC. Their only choice would be to grab some CUSA teams and maybe a few SBC teams to form a ligit conference. But even then, they wouldnt be as strong as they used to be and I don't think there is any way the BcS whores would allow them to keep their BcS status.

I don't think the NCAA has ever granted such a waver. You need six team to play together for five years. Other conferences have been collapsed because of the rule. I don't know why the NCAA would grant it as it would set an incredible precedent. If they did then it would invalidate the rule. I can't imagine that happening.

Assuming A&M falls in line and goes to the Pac 10, I imagine you'd see Kansas and Kansas State go to the MWC. At that point, the best possibility for us would be a new conference formed out of those remains, CUSA, and Sun Belt. If you could get 6 CUSA teams, you would still retain eligibility is my understanding.

North

Iowa State

Missouri

Memphis

Tulsa

North Texas

SMU

South

Baylor

Houston

Rice

Southern Miss

Tulane

UTEP

The rest of CUSA merges with the Sun Belt. Of course, there are obviously versions that don't include North Texas, but I choose not to think about those. :lol:

Edited by ColoradoEagle
  • Upvote 1

Assuming A&M falls in line and goes to the Pac 10, I imagine you'd see Kansas and Kansas State go to the MWC. At that point, the best possibility for us would be a new conference formed out of those remains, CUSA, and Sun Belt. If you could get 6 CUSA teams, you would still retain eligibility is my understanding.

North

Iowa State

Missouri

Memphis

Tulsa

North Texas

SMU

South

Baylor

Houston

Rice

Southern Miss

Tulane

UTEP

The rest of CUSA merges with the Sun Belt. Of course, there are obviously versions that don't include North Texas, but I choose not to think about those. laugh.gif

STOP IGNORING ME! We belong in the NFL or at least the Canadian Football League. I know that we were one of the top party schools it the 70's, but could some of you try to stop doing mind altering stuff?

STOP IGNORING ME! We belong in the NFL or at least the Canadian Football League. I know that we were one of the top party schools it the 70's, but could some of you try to stop doing mind altering stuff?

Mind altering? You'd have to assume that any new conference that comes about would be interested in staying as regional as possible. Regionally we're a great fit, and we have that new stadium going up.

Of course there are a thousand scenarios. CUSA could absorb the 3 teams I mentioned above. MWC could go to 16. Leftovers of B12 could go to the Big East or a new conference where the BE football schools split from the basketball schools. Sun Belt could go to 16. WAC could go to 12 or 16. B12 could stay at 10. A&M could take Oklahoma State or OU with them to the SEC. Way more options than even these.

My point simply was that if a new conference appears, because of the far flung nature of CUSA, the elements are right for NT to be an option because we're in the footprint, have the newest football stadium in the country, and we have the people in place at the AD and the President's office to get something done that may not have been possible in the past.

I don't think the NCAA has ever granted such a waver. You need six team to play together for five years. Other conferences have been collapsed because of the rule. I don't know why the NCAA would grant it as it would set an incredible precedent. If they did then it would invalidate the rule. I can't imagine that happening.

I could see it if Kansas and Kansas State are applying, because the big worry the NCAA has is potentially getting Congress involved and possibly losing tax exempt status.

That's two senators from Kansas (to say nothing of Missouri) who would be strongly motivated to push the issue if a waiver were denied.

There is one more area where they might need a waiver. Nebraska is set to start the 2011 football season in The Big Ten. That leaves The Big Twelve with only 11 teams. You need twelve teams to have a conference playoff game. It will be interesting to see how that works itself out, too.

I like Colorado Eagle's thinking. Except that I would add Kansas and Kansas State. Kansas is said to oppose going to the MWC and K-State would go along as well. North Texas and SMU would assure a major portion of the DFW market. Houston and Rice would do the same for Houston. Memphis brings good basketball and a decent-sized market. Each has some good points so just make it a 14-team conference. We could still call it the Big 12 even though it doesn't have 12 members. Another conference did something similar.

The NCAA should consider a waiver since five BCS teams were abandoned at no fault of their own.

No need for a waiver, the Big12 is dead. There is so much panic right now with the Big12 leftovers getting left out that they are scrambling for almost any conference invite anywhere. No way that all 5 stick together for an extended period, someone will crater and take a MWC offer. In fact I'm reading the MWC is expected to invite all but Baylor.