Bolise Bolting Good News For North Texas

MeanGreen61

It can help in our being invited to the WAC as a safety valve. It's better than the Sun Belt. It doesn't do anything yet towards our getting in CUSA. Someone from CUSA will have to move to another conference before there is an opening unless CUSA decides to go to 16. If they do I don't see that Boise State's movement has any bearing on us.

• Upvote 1

It's better than the Sun Belt.

Not anymore. I'm saying the Belt is better, but going Wacy is at best a lateral move. According the the Hawai'i newspaper, the WAC's $4.5 million TV payout is going to be cut. Plus they are likely to lose the H-Bowl.

Arkstatefan did some analysis that showed without Boise, the Sunbelt gets MORE BSC money than the WAC.

Combine less TV revenue, losing bowls with the proven drop in DFW/Texas publicity and the proven fact having Wacy teams come to Denton won't help game attendance there is no reason to move to go Wacy.

Now, if five other teams join and create an Eastern WAC, then maybe there is potential. But why would they do that?

So the SBC supposedly gets a bigger cut now, but the BCS contracts will surely get rewritten once the super conferences finalize members. There's no guarantee any of the have nots will see the same share of revenue. It just sucks that we're in no position to throw our little weight around.

http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/archives/2010/06/boise-bolting-good-news-for-un.html

It is good news. Any movement that provides us a better opportunity to get off the bottom rung is good. The WAC this time would have to seriously consider an eastern division which is what NT has wanted from them all along.

• Upvote 1

It can help in our being invited to the WAC as a safety valve. It's better than the Sun Belt. It doesn't do anything yet towards our getting in CUSA. Someone from CUSA will have to move to another conference before there is an opening unless CUSA decides to go to 16. If they do I don't see that Boise State's movement has any bearing on us.

cusa would be top preference. wac with east teams second best. sbc is dead last choice.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

cusa would be top preference. wac with east teams second best. sbc is dead last choice.

What has the SBC done to us that makes everyone want out so badly?.

Dead last choice is the current WAC if they didn't expand east. Which might happen. CUSA and SBC are so close right now, it won't make a difference. MWC is top preference, but I think Baylor will end up there.

I agree. The SBC seems to be pretty stable. I would much rather see Wright Waters put on his big boy pants and make a play for some of the WAC schools and keep the majority of our conference Central and Eastern time zoned.

• Upvote 2

What has the SBC done to us that makes everyone want out so badly?.

Dead last choice is the current WAC if they didn't expand east. Which might happen. CUSA and SBC are so close right now, it won't make a difference. MWC is top preference, but I think Baylor will end up there.

No way TCU lets Baylor get into the MWC.

According to ESPN radio, Kansas does not want to go to the MWC. They want to keep the remaining members and add some to make it a better basketball conference. I know this is a football posting, but maybe this would be something we should look at. Certainly right now our basketball (mens) is better than our football. We certainly could not contend with Kansas or Baylor right now, but a step up could help JJ. The schools are more regional and certainly have the names to draw attendance.

What would we bring. A DFW metroplex presence, a decent basketball program, pretty good athletic programs in the other sports, good facilities, and hopefully a football program on the upturn. The big problem is always going to be the stablility of a new conference. Depending upon what else happens, it is something to think about.

According to ESPN radio, Kansas does not want to go to the MWC. They want to keep the remaining members and add some to make it a better basketball conference.

Interesting. Outside of us, Memphis, Houston, Tulsa, WKU, ULL, South Alabama, UAB, and UTEP, is there anyone else in CUSA/Sun Belt that would even be considered OK at basketball? And it's not like any of the teams I mentioned are in the league of a Kansas or Kansas State except Memphis.

Edited by ColoradoEagle

I agree. The SBC seems to be pretty stable. I would much rather see Wright Waters put on his big boy pants and make a play for some of the WAC schools and keep the majority of our conference Central and Eastern time zoned.

The BELT is only stable b/c no other conf, wants our teams.

According to ESPN radio, Kansas does not want to go to the MWC. They want to keep the remaining members and add some to make it a better basketball conference. I know this is a football posting, but maybe this would be something we should look at. Certainly right now our basketball (mens) is better than our football. We certainly could not contend with Kansas or Baylor right now, but a step up could help JJ. The schools are more regional and certainly have the names to draw attendance.

What would we bring. A DFW metroplex presence, a decent basketball program, pretty good athletic programs in the other sports, good facilities, and hopefully a football program on the upturn. The big problem is always going to be the stablility of a new conference. Depending upon what else happens, it is something to think about.

Kansas board sez the five schools did have a conference call today discussing their future.

Dallas Morning News

Schools left out want to continue Big XII

http://www.dentonrc.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/colleges/topstories/stories/061310dnspoleftovers.134cf19.html

Edited by MeanGreen61

I would still prefer CUSA but the WAC minus Boise is still superior to the Belt or the MAC.

Here are the averages on the all-time list:

WAC 85

MAC 91

SBC 93

The conference averages for last year:

WAC 80

MAC 85

SBC 97

Notice that last year we (SBC) were the only conference to regress from our all-time ranking. On the all-time list Middle Tennessee, Troy, North Texas and Florida Atlantic are the only teams whose average finish has been lower than 100.

We hurt the conference last year finishing #117, just two above WKU's 119. According to Phil Steele this year will no better. We finally move up but are predicted to finish #98. Predicted to finish 4th is FAU at #106. When does it get better for the conference?

The WAC may be no jewel but is a cut above the SBC.