Boise To...

Rudy

Take this for what its worth but here is a quote from the AP story about Boise State going to the Mountain West.

Sorry if this has been posted alrady:

Dan Hawkins, head coach at Boise State until jumping to Colorado in 2006, said he doesn't think the Mountain West is done adding teams.

"We'll see how that whole thing shakes out and what happens to other teams in the Big 12," Hawkins said. "There might be some other teams from ... the Sun Belt, the Big 12, or somebody melded in there to complete the roster."

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Take this for what its worth but here is a quote from the AP story about Boise State going to the Mountain West.

Dan Hawkins, head coach at Boise State until jumping to Colorado in 2006, said he doesn't think the Mountain West is done adding teams.

"We'll see how that whole thing shakes out and what happens to other teams in the Big 12," Hawkins said. "There might be some other teams from ... the Sun Belt, the Big 12, or somebody melded in there to complete the roster."

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Other than Boise and Nevada on a good day, I think troy, FAU, Ark St, and MTSU can handle the Wac

Fresno State is still a quality team. Hawaii was good until Jones left. And I thought Idaho played a great bowl game last season.

Boise St... That name rings a bell... Oh, were those the guys that were in the Big West with us? I wondered what they have been doing lately. Last time I saw those guys, we were kicking their arse 17-10 at Fouts in 1999. Man, we must be light years ahead of these guys.

Do you guys think we should slum it and join the MWC now that these guys have pried their way in? What would that do to our reputation?

• Upvote 1

Well, that's a positive.

Nevada put a WHOLE lot less butts in our stadium. As did Utah State and Boise for that matter.

totally different time period, athletic mindset, pride factor etc going on at that time versus now. Hell, tailgating alone brings in more people now than used to show up at games during the Big West days.

totally different time period, athletic mindset, pride factor etc going on at that time versus now. Hell, tailgating alone brings in more people now than used to show up at games during the Big West days.

I agree. I read alot of comments on here by people who use the old Big West as an excuse for not going to the WAC. The Big West was over a decade ago. Most of those teams have matured into legitimate FBS programs. I need to hear a better argument then that for ignoring the WAC. Those Big West teams didn't draw attendance for us, but I'm willing to bet teams like Fresno State, Hawaii, Nevada, and NMSU would draw better crowds then the teams we currently play in the Sun Belt. I bet we could recruit better in that conference too.

• Upvote 2

I agree. I read alot of comments on here by people who use the old Big West as an excuse for not going to the WAC. The Big West was over a decade ago. Most of those teams have matured into legitimate FBS programs. I need to hear a better argument then that for ignoring the WAC. Those Big West teams didn't draw attendance for us, but I'm willing to bet teams like Fresno State, Hawaii, Nevada, and NMSU would draw better crowds then the teams we currently play in the Sun Belt. I bet we could recruit better in that conference too.

I'll dig up the old threads later, but the former Big West teams don't even draw for each other. We argued this out a year and a half ago, and the average attendance they pull for each other is very unimpressive. They aren't going to bring in a bigger crowd than the one that's already coming to watch North Texas, at least not if the past 5 years of their own gate numbers against each other are any indication.

It's also not helpful that we have to travel more, to more expensive destinations. It hurts us that we'd play a lot of games on Pacific or Mountain (or, Hawaii) time, because it's harder for newspapers to make deadline. And it's less likely that they'll send people to cover us when their travel costs start rising, too.

According to ArkStFan... Now that Boise is gone, the SBC is actually ranked higher in non-AQ BCS money distribution. We'd be getting less BCS money if we jumped ship. In fact, if the SBC kicked us out, they'd be the 2nd best non-AQ league without our program dragging down the league composite score.

Joining the WAC, even a realigned 2 division Eastern portion of the WAC, would gain us nothing, cost us money on multiple fronts, and diminish our already pathetically low level of press coverage.

It was a bad idea when Boise was still in the league, and it's a terrible idea now.

• Upvote 3

NOT to mention the move allows for better TV markets. You cannot watch the game on TV very well when your butt is at the game or tailgating.

Joining the WAC, even a realigned 2 division Eastern portion of the WAC, would gain us nothing, cost us money on multiple fronts, and diminish our already pathetically low level of press coverage.

It was a bad idea when Boise was still in the league, and it's a terrible idea now.

But you have to admit being in the WAC is alot bettr than playing FAU/FIU. The money we save not traveling to their stadiums should help even out the cost of hopefully getting dumped by the SBC.

I'll dig up the old threads later, but the former Big West teams don't even draw for each other. We argued this out a year and a half ago, and the average attendance they pull for each other is very unimpressive. They aren't going to bring in a bigger crowd than the one that's already coming to watch North Texas, at least not if the past 5 years of their own gate numbers against each other are any indication.

It's also not helpful that we have to travel more, to more expensive destinations. It hurts us that we'd play a lot of games on Pacific or Mountain (or, Hawaii) time, because it's harder for newspapers to make deadline. And it's less likely that they'll send people to cover us when their travel costs start rising, too.

According to ArkStFan... Now that Boise is gone, the SBC is actually ranked higher in non-AQ BCS money distribution. We'd be getting less BCS money if we jumped ship. In fact, if the SBC kicked us out, they'd be the 2nd best non-AQ league without our program dragging down the league composite score.

It's like you're in my head.

Mark me down as one of the people that doesn't want to join a WAC, much less a Boiseless one. I'd rather be in a conference that shares the same footprint as the SEC.

LaTech won't be in the WAC for long. There should be no other person on this board who should be wanting into the WAC.

But you have to admit being in the WAC is alot bettr than playing FAU/FIU. The money we save not traveling to their stadiums should help even out the cost of hopefully getting dumped by the SBC.

It really isn't.

We can fly into Miami on a direct flight on any major carrier. FIU and FAU are actually a lot cheaper and more convenient than many of the teams we'd have to visit in the WAC.

Going to Idaho or Utah State requires connections, regional carriers... Or, the flight expenses to FIU/FAU plus the shuttle bus expenses to ULM or ULL. It's not just about distance, it's about accessibility.

It's like you're in my head.

Mark me down as one of the people that doesn't want to join a WAC, much less a Boiseless one. I'd rather be in a conference that shares the same footprint as the SEC.

LaTech won't be in the WAC for long. There should be no other person on this board who should be wanting into the WAC.

Where else is there to go? Granted the WAC is not the best choice, but WAC teams would get CUSA looks before the Belt the teams. And if with all of the Belt teams looking to move out, who would enter, should another school need a home?