World Cup Is Finally Here

After further review, the goal has been dissallowed.

Who determines the amount of stoppage time? Nobody knows how long it lasts and when the game will end. It is a bizarre sport. I enjoyed the highlights.

Since the soccer clock is continuous but the play is not the fourth official makes an estimate based on the number of fouls, subs, injuries and fake injuries. The amount of stoppage time is posted usually about the start of the 90th minute (so 89:00)...just as the amount of added time is approximate, so is how that time is managed...say 3 minutes are added, and you start an attack at 92:45 the referee will, in most cases, allow the attack to finish before calling the game

CBL...nice explanation of the "stoppage time" situation.

BTW...found this quote also in today's Wall Street Journal..."Remember June 23, 2010: the day the lame old "Soccer is boring" argument finally died in the U.S.". "If you weren't completely, utterly thrilled, exhausted and satisfied by Wednesday's 1-0 Team USA World Cup thriller over Algeria, you're a lifeless sports corpse. You are banned from all future U.S. World Cup matches and hereby ordered to spend the rest of the season watching the moribund Baltimore Orioles, eating cold oatmeal in a Slanket".

Life, forevereagle, etc., etc. are you listening????? :lol:

• Upvote 1

Since the soccer clock is continuous but the play is not the fourth official makes an estimate based on the number of fouls, subs, injuries and fake injuries. The amount of stoppage time is posted usually about the start of the 90th minute (so 89:00)...just as the amount of added time is approximate, so is how that time is managed...say 3 minutes are added, and you start an attack at 92:45 the referee will, in most cases, allow the attack to finish before calling the game

The referee determines how much time to add on to the end of the game to make up for stoppages in play. In games that are big enough to have a fourth official the referee tells him how much time will be added on and the fourth official relays that to everyone else.

CBL is correct that in nearly all cases a ref will allow an attack to finish before blowing the final whistle, though he has no obligation to do so.

CBL...nice explanation of the "stoppage time" situation.

BTW...found this quote also in today's Wall Street Journal..."Remember June 23, 2010: the day the lame old "Soccer is boring" argument finally died in the U.S.". "If you weren't completely, utterly thrilled, exhausted and satisfied by Wednesday's 1-0 Team USA World Cup thriller over Algeria, you're a lifeless sports corpse. You are banned from all future U.S. World Cup matches and hereby ordered to spend the rest of the season watching the moribund Baltimore Orioles, eating cold oatmeal in a Slanket".

You have to be watching and/or care to be thrilled, so...sorry.

The referee determines how much time to add on to the end of the game to make up for stoppages in play. In games that are big enough to have a fourth official the referee tells him how much time will be added on and the fourth official relays that to everyone else.

CBL is correct that in nearly all cases a ref will allow an attack to finish before blowing the final whistle, though he has no obligation to do so.

Putting that decision in these moron referee's hands is, for lack of a better word, moronic.

Putting that decision in these moron referee's hands is, for lack of a better word, moronic.

Lifer...you just make me smile. Tell me the sport with the brilliant referees, umpires, etc. that I can watch who never make "moronic" decisions. The NFL boys make some really stupid calls and they have instant replay and refs all over the field. Not just one in the middle. baseball has umps all over the field and they can't get a call right at first base, etc., etc. Volleyball refs call balls out when they are clearly in and "bad touches" when no...not bad. Please do tell me where I find those human refs who make no "moronic calls". Again, if you don't like soccer, that's really OK...no one says you have to enjoy the "beautiful game".

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Lifer...you just make me smile. Tell me the sport with the brilliant referees, umpires, etc. that I can watch who never make "moronic" decisions. The NFL boys make some really stupid calls and they have instant replay and refs all over the field. Not just one in the middle. baseball has umps all over the field and they can't get a call right at first base, etc., etc. Volleyball refs call balls out when they are clearly in and "bad touches" when no...not bad. Please do tell me where I find those human refs who make no "moronic calls". Again, if you don't like soccer, that's really OK...no one says you have to enjoy the "beautiful game".

I take umbrage to that remark, I have never called a tennis ball out, that was not out or I sold the call like there was no tomorrow. ;)

I take umbrage to that remark, I have never called a tennis ball out, that was not out or I sold the call like there was no tomorrow. ;)

Sure, and little green martians just landed in Denton.:lol: Like you, I have never...never made a bad call while ref'ing...just ask the coaches and parents at the games I ref. Well, maybe not.....;)

Sure, and little green martians just landed in Denton.:lol: Like you, I have never...never made a bad call while ref'ing...just ask the coaches and parents at the games I ref. Well, maybe not.....;)

Fun story...

I was calling a game involving a DSA team and a team from another city. The visiting coach comes out to get his game report after the game and tells me "That is the most biased game I have ever seen". While the coach is still standing there a parent of the Denton team comes out and asks if she can ask me a question. I love questions, I hope that by answering a question I can save myself or another referee some grief down the line. I tell her to go ahead and she says "That is the most biased game I have ever seen from a ref!" I pointed at the visiting coach and told her that he just said the same thing and they may not have liked it, but I had to have called a fair game!

Edited by Army of Dad

The moronic ref comment was in reference to the recent men officiating the U.S. soccer games. And I agree, there are poor decisions made in games every day at every level by officials, but none of the other sports lets an official determine how much time should be added to a game.

Why doesn't soccer just stop the clock when someone is injured, etc... instead of letting a referee make an estimation?

Again, if you don't like soccer, that's really OK...no one says you have to enjoy the "beautiful game".

"If you weren't completely, utterly thrilled, exhausted and satisfied by Wednesday's 1-0 Team USA World Cup thriller over Algeria, you're a lifeless sports corpse. You are banned from all future U.S. World Cup matches and hereby ordered to spend the rest of the season watching the moribund Baltimore Orioles, eating cold oatmeal in a Slanket".

The moronic ref comment was in reference to the recent men officiating the U.S. soccer games. And I agree, there are poor decisions made in games every day at every level by officials, but none of the other sports lets an official determine how much time should be added to a game.

Why doesn't soccer just stop the clock when someone is injured, etc... instead of letting a referee make an estimation?

They really need instant replay especially with disallowed Goals, I mean it is crazy as big a deal as these games are supposed to be and how few goals are scored! And since they have all kinds of trouble calling offsides correctly they need to change the offsides rule to a line. Not to be pulled off by the other team. I hated that rule even when I played soccer, just goofy, kind of third world. We can't afford replay or an extra line.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbn3rOPmR9w

Ok, if I have been able to add the link correctly...take a look at this video. It will give you some indication of how soccer is, indeed, seeing success in the US. By the end of the video clip I actually had tears streaming down my cheeks. Pay close attention to the kid in his basement as it is a priceless reaction.

Yep, no one follows soccer in the US. I think that old lame statement died on June 23, 2010!

USA-USA-USA-USA!!!!!! GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=jbn3rOPmR9w

Ok, if I have been able to add the link correctly...take a look at this video. It will give you some indication of how soccer is, indeed, seeing success in the US. By the end of the video clip I actually had tears streaming down my cheeks. Pay close attention to the kid in his basement as it is a priceless reaction.

Yep, no one follows soccer in the US. I think that old lame statement died on June 23, 2010!

USA-USA-USA-USA!!!!!! GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL!!!!!!

The kid in the basebemt is classic.