What If This Is It?

wardly

what if this is it? big 10 stops with addition of big red, pac 10 adds utah to get to 12, mt. west replaces utah with boise, big 12 goes forward with 10 schools for now, and big east goes back to sleep. a lot of foreplay with a premature climax. a 10 school big 12 conference makes a lot of sense. round robin conference play with 3 non- conference games. could happen.

mt. west replaces utah with boise

I doubt that's all that they do. They want AQ status and the MWC - Utah + Boise puts them in no better place than they were in before, arguably worse. Plus, they'd still have only 9. If this is all the movement that the Pac and Big 10 and Big 12 will have, I expect MWC to take on 3 schools like had been talked about in the past.

what if this is it? big 10 stops with addition of big red, pac 10 adds utah to get to 12, mt. west replaces utah with boise, big 12 goes forward with 10 schools for now, and big east goes back to sleep. a lot of foreplay with a premature climax. a 10 school big 12 conference makes a lot of sense. round robin conference play with 3 non- conference games. could happen.

Could happen but it would only be a momentary pause. I believe there would still be a lot of manuvering of the mid to smaller schools over the next couple of years and then another major shift in 5 to 10 years. I just don't see this scenario above hold for the long term.

any thoughts regarding mt. west? when they drop back to 9, will they add houston, which tcu wants, and open up a spot in cusa/west? will that spot go to us or la.tech, or will they add a school in east and shift memphis west? inquiring mines want to know.

any thoughts regarding mt. west? when they drop back to 9, will they add houston, which tcu wants, and open up a spot in cusa/west? will that spot go to us or la.tech, or will they add a school in east and shift memphis west? inquiring mines want to know.

If you had said mimes I totally would have jumped all over that.

sad_mime.jpg

It looks as if the WAC will add one and the Mountain West will add either one or three. That should be it until the Big 10 makes another effort to get Notre Dame and the Big XII decides to return to 12. This was really a tempest in a teapot.

I'll buy the Wacy folk want to add one. Not sure from where that one will come unless the resort to adding an FCS school and then hoping they can move up after the moratorium is lifted. No one knows exactly what the new requirements will be - the whole reason for the moratorium was to stop movement until new restrictions could be put in place.

As for the MWC adding one to three I have to ask why? They functioned just fine with 9 and are clearly the top of the non -AQ conferences. If they lose Utah as looks likely, they will have the only non-AQ team to win a BCS bowl and half of the non-AQ teams to qualify and lose. From what is written about the BCS process for evaluating conferences, it is the total strength of the conference that gets you in. Thus adding someone with a weaker record counting strength of schedule to their conference actually LOWERS their chances of AQ status. Who are they going to get the raises it - Hawaii? No, other than one year, they actually would lower it. No one else even comes close.

No current FBS school is going go Wacy now. If anything, I think we might see La Tech try to bail either to CUSA if they can, or the SBC if we will take them. La Tech fans would be furious, at least they would appear so. But some of the more rational La Tech fans are already writing that the SBC has to be an option, especially if anyone leaves the Wacy and CUSA won't take them.

Edited by VideoEagle

All moves now would be lateral. Honestly at the end of the day. Does Nevada have a better chance than ECU on moving to the bigger Conf? The WAC, CUSA, and BELT are just a different schedule, The conf do not give anymore prestige to the school. Yes I want out of the Belt, shifting to the WAC could be beneficial or it cold be destructive. But outside of a couple hundred(?) season ticket holders does it really matter? Shouldn't we want to play LA Tech to improve recruiting, vs playing them to save gas. Also, lets worry about dominating the Belt first. Last Time I check UNT was not the Florida State of the old ACC.

Personally, I am somewhat glad that the major school realignment has been temporarily halted. Why ?

1) I expect big improvement from our football team this season.

2) The stadium is due for completion in 2011.

3) I see no reason for any demise in our men's BB program in the very near future.

From a public perception standpoint, I really feel that we will be better off a year from now, than we are right now. So many people outside of Denton seem to be hung up on our struggling FB program, despite the fact that our attendance is better than most Belt schools even with all the FB losses.

We get K State, Rice, LaLa, ASU, FIU and Troy at home this season. K State attendance could be huge IF the weather is still decent and our FB team is competitive. If we are at least competiting for the belt come November, this years attendance could be terrific.

This is simply a huge FB season for our team. We HAVE to be competitive.

Edited by akriesman
  • Upvote 1

The MWC could very well stay at nine. If they take one more I believe that it will be Houston. TCU is pushing them as a travel partner. Their record over the last four years is 36-18 which should definitely put them in the upper half of the conference. I don't see them going to 12 unless they believe that it would help them obtain AQ status or want the revenue from a championship game.

I don't have a clue who the WAC might take. It could be an FCS school which can't take place until next year or it might even be us. I don't know the economics of our joining but if it's equal or better it might not be a bad move. That's for others who know the real numbers and recruiting advantages more than I.

Personally, I am somewhat glad that the major school realignment has been temporarily halted. Why ?

1) I expect big improvement from our football team this season.

2) The stadium is due for completion in 2011.

3) I see no reason for any demise in our men's BB program in the very near future.

From a public perception standpoint, I really feel that we will be better off a year from now, than we are right now. So many people outside of Denton seem to be hung up on our struggling FB program, despite the fact that our attendance is better than most Belt schools even with all the FB losses.

We get K State, Rice, LaLa, ASU, FIU and Troy at home this season. K State attendance could be huge IF the weather is still decent and our FB team is competitive. If we are at least competiting for the belt come November, this years attendance could be terrific.

This is simply a huge FB season for our team. We HAVE to be competitive.

AGREE COMPLETELY.... !! We must improve and be very competitive. This includes basketball... which looks pretty good going into next year.

In the short term the PAC-11 will likely add one but everything remains will likely stable for a "while". We need to position ourselves for the next series of moves.... could be started by Mountain West, Big XII-2 or maybe even from Big East.. The WAC is hurting and eventually may have to pull from the lower divsion (Montana??) if they lose LaTech or the Mountain West raids them. .

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

A hurricane won't keep me away from Kansas State and the last game ever at Fouts. That stadium might be a turd, but it was OUR turd. :(

I agree, I have already taken off work that Monday. Just incase I need an extra day of enjoyment when we beat the Kats. I mean we did when our first game against a State team, why not the last.

Edited by GreenStreet