Vito Blog: Conferencer Re-Alignment Thoughts

MeanGreen61

http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/archives/2010/06/conference-realignment-thought.html

I will tell you this -- UNT isn't spending $78 million on a football stadium to make sure it can maintain its series with Louisiana-Monroe.

From the looks of things, UNT will know where its opportunities are pretty quickly

Edited by MeanGreen61

"We want to play at the highest level and win at the highest level," athletic director Steve Orsini said in a statement. "Conference USA has been very good for SMU, but as we monitor conference realignments, we know there may be new opportunities for our program. As a department and as an Athletic Director, our duty is to do what's best for SMU. We certainly believe that SMU, with its academics, media market, facilities and overall commitment to athletics, would be an asset to any league. We're excited about the future of Mustang Athletics."

Sounds much different from:

This is going to hard to hear everyone, but the only thing North Texas can do is sit and wait right now.

SMU gives due credit to CUSA but says, "We're looking for something better." The blog on our site uses almost 1/3 of the page to brown nose the Sun Belt (why?) and then compares it to the MWC (lol).

If you think about it, they really are saying the same thing. With Orsini's comments, however, it feels like they are actively campaigning for a better future. The blog's comments make it sound like we can't be bothered to do anything at the moment. Just come back some other time when it's more convenient for us. Apathetic is the feeling I get from that blog.

• Downvote 1

It's typical small-minded thinking at an institution that continues to be the only person in its way from truly taking flight (eagle reference...hey-ooo).

It's an ass-whip of the highest order and why I have absolutely ZERO expectations with regards to conference realignment.

What I want to see is confidence...even if it is baseless. Perception is reality. I want a blog post that says UNT has a lot to offer any conference and is ready to take the next step onto the national stage. UNT is positioning itself to become another namebrand, large, quality state school in the athletic as well as academic world. But I never hear any of it. In more positive news, we're supposed to be more "competitive" this year and winning 6 games or so would really be a boon to the program!

• Upvote 2

"I will tell you this -- UNT isn't spending $78 million on a football stadium to make sure it can maintain its series with Louisiana-Monroe."

That's probably the best quote we'll get for now. Nobody inside UNT Athletics will nix the Sunbelt in the press, or even a blog. <_< I agree with Vito that we're not (I hope) making all these improvements just to stay even with SBC schools.

Edited by NT80

Football isn't our only offering to a new conference (thank goodness). I think we have a pretty good basketball program in comparison to many with which we might be aligned. Something else to put on the table.

I don't buy, by the way, the expressed assertions that A. we're just waiting by the phone for the popular guy to invite us to the prom; and that B. a publicity campaign, if not backed by substantive value, can affect the decisions of a bunch of cynical university presidents who are working angles with and against each other.

More important is whether you have somebody on the phone who knows how power decisions in college athletics really come about.

OK, quick: Without looking it up, what's the name of the president of the University of North Texas?

V. Lane Rawlins.

What does V. Lane Rawlins know about college athletics?

Former president of Washington State University.

Former president of the University of Memphis.

Twice served on the NCAA's Board of Directors and as chair of the Pac-10, Conference USA and Great Mid-West athletic conferences.

So for me, the real question -- unanswerable, I would guess, by most on this board -- is whether Rawlins, who is only scheduled to serve through the next academic year, is on the phone trying to make it rain for UNT.

Edited by Green to the Bone
  • Upvote 7

Football isn't our only offering to a new conference (thank goodness). I think we have a pretty good basketball program in comparison to many with which we might be aligned. Something else to put on the table.

I don't buy, by the way, the expressed assertions that A. we're just waiting by the phone for the popular guy to invite us to the prom; and that B. a publicity campaign, if not backed by substantive value, can affect the decisions of a bunch of cynical university presidents who are working angles with and against each other.

More important is whether you have somebody on the phone who knows how power decisions in college athletics really come about.

OK, quick: Without looking it up, what's the name of the president of the University of North Texas?

V. Lane Rawlins.

What does V. Lane Rawlins know about college athletics?

Former president of Washington State University.

Former president of the University of Memphis.

Twice served on the NCAA's Board of Directors and as chair of the Pac-10, Conference USA and Great Mid-West athletic conferences.

So for me, the real question -- unanswerable, I would guess, by most on this board -- is whether Rawlins, who is only scheduled to serve through the next academic year, is on the phone trying to make it rain for UNT.

+1 to you for noticing. I did read his bio when he was hired as the "second interim President" or whatever, and did note his experience in these matters. I think that part of his resume could be a key at this point.

Here's a link to what someone wrote about his tenure at Memphis, including the hiring of Calipari:

How Rawlins wished to be remembered at Memphis

Edited by eulessismore

+1 to you for noticing. I did read his bio when he was hired as the "second interim President" or whatever, and did note his experience in these matters. I think that part of his resume could be a key at this point.

Here's a link to what someone wrote about his tenure at Memphis, including the hiring of Calipari:

How Rawlins wished to be remembered at Memphis

Certainly doesn't seem to be anti-athletic. Hopefully he's still got a good relationship with CUSA folks

It was the Tigers' last regular-season home game at The Pyramid -- the University of Memphis thrashed Tulane -- and University President Veldon Lane Rawlins was in a familiar setting -- the end of the team bench. As Rawlins was walking with the team toward the locker room it hit him: "I realized at that moment this was the last time I get to do this. I'm really leaving. It was painful to think about."