Green Gang: Re-Alignment Talk Anyone ?

MeanGreen61

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, I'd be getting my website blogger to talk about how the athletics department is working for the best interest of the program, or turning over every rock, or anything, ANYTHING other than "the only thing we can do is sit and wait."

Excellent point. I would NEVER admit that we were helpless and subject to the whims of others and/or chance. That's the sort of mentality that the old administrations had at North Texas which caused us to miss the opportunity to upgrade when we were making a splase during the Joe Greene era.

You sir, would have loved the Hayden Fry era.

Two things, neither of which is specifically disagreeing with anyone's frustrations in this thread:

1. Waiting =/= Doing Nothing

2. Anyone who thinks aggressive action, such as hiring an expansion consultant, retaining a PR firm, working the legislature, and so forth is going to make things better, either for the school's prospects or for our general psychological well-being... Check out how it's working out for Baylor or Memphis or Missouri fans at the moment.

I think the Rapture would go over more gently on BaylorFans than the fallout from their maneuvering for a Pac-10 spot. Memphis people are wound so tight with all the Big East/Big 12 uncertainty that a backfiring car engine in Tennessee might cause simultaneous heart attacks in tens of thousands of people. And Missouri? Let's just say that the famous arch in St. Louis might crumble and collapse under the weight of all the Mizzou fans who could end up hanging themselves from it.

I don't know what we're doing or who anyone is talking to, but most of the hustlers in this situation aren't getting anything out of the effort, and some are finding themselves much worse off for the effort.

• Upvote 3

This is the same athletic department that organized the stadium vote, and got it passed. This is the same athletic department that has turned the NT stadium into a reality. If you puke, I hope you do it into a fan so it blows back in your face. NT is in NO, I repeat NO position to do anything but wait. NT has very little to offer a larger conference other than the proximity of the school to Dallas and Fort Worth. NT's alumni, myself include want Cristal champagne on a Pabst blue ribbon budget. In my opinion this is seriously the dumbest thing you've ever posted and that's saying something, because you have posted some pretty dumb things.

While I do not view the blog comments as necessarily representative of the athletic department's actual view, I cannot believe that you said that to UNT Flyer, of all people. Are you completely unaware that he did as much as, if not more than, any other person to get the student fee passed? If it weren't for him, there is a very good chance that the construction currently taking place on the old Eagle Point Golf Course would not be taking place. I'm a little surprised, considering your disdain for RV, that you want to give the athletic department more than its due.

Here's another fun point of discussion that I'm sure is going to be considered reasonably and rationally, then calmly discussed...

We've already had an Athletic Director pursue a bold, aggressive plan to get us in a better conference and more closely aligned athletically with other Texas schools.

We started out in a conference we had shared with Houston, Memphis, Louisville, Cincinnati, and Tulsa. But we were going to boldly and aggressively force our way into the SWC!

Our bold, aggressive plan took us down a path that netted us zero bowl bids through what many fans consider to be the most successful period of football in school history. Three consecutive 20 win basketball seasons, a period that many fans consider to be the most successful period of basketball in school history, netted us zero postseason opportunities.

A few years later, the plan a failure... Our Athletic Director boldly and aggressively bailed out and took another job elsewhere.

Four years later, we were a 1-AA program.

If we had been a little more patient and a little less bold and aggressive, at the very least we would have gotten some postseason basketball opportunities. It might not have hurt us to stay affiliated with the teams that went on to the Metro conference instead of chasing the ones in the SWC.

• Upvote 3

Two things, neither of which is specifically disagreeing with anyone's frustrations in this thread:

1. Waiting =/= Doing Nothing

2. Anyone who thinks aggressive action, such as hiring an expansion consultant, retaining a PR firm, working the legislature, and so forth is going to make things better, either for the school's prospects or for our general psychological well-being... Check out how it's working out for Baylor or Memphis or Missouri fans at the moment.

I think the Rapture would go over more gently on BaylorFans than the fallout from their maneuvering for a Pac-10 spot. Memphis people are wound so tight with all the Big East/Big 12 uncertainty that a backfiring car engine in Tennessee might cause simultaneous heart attacks in tens of thousands of people. And Missouri? Let's just say that the famous arch in St. Louis might crumble and collapse under the weight of all the Mizzou fans who could end up hanging themselves from it.

I don't know what we're doing or who anyone is talking to, but most of the hustlers in this situation aren't getting anything out of the effort, and some are finding themselves much worse off for the effort.

Exactly. I don't think one line on a blog warrants the overreaction we're seeing here. RV can call any AD he wants right now and nothing would be accomplished because noone knows what the landscape will look like next week. I bet that RV would hear "Thanks for your interest in joining the big 12 conference Rick. Right now, our conference has 11 members and we're just fine." That phone call could be much different next week.... just WAIT. And, who knows, maybe those calls are already being placed? I highly doubt that RV will sit around and hope someone calls him with an invite.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Exactly. I don't think one line on a blog warrants the overreaction we're seeing here. RV can call any AD he wants right now and nothing would be accomplished because noone knows what the landscape will look like next week. I bet that RV would hear "Thanks for your interest in joining the big 12 conference Rick. Right now, our conference has 11 members and we're just fine." That phone call could be much different next week.... just WAIT. And, who knows, maybe those calls are already being placed? I highly doubt that RV will sit around and hope someone calls him with an invite.

You're pretty new here, huh?

Flyer, breathe. Everything...and I mean everything in this whole conference realignment clusterF is predicated upon what happens in the Big XII...and more specifically Texas. Until the shoes officially drop with that conference everybody else is in limbo and the best thing to do is survey the landscape. Does that mean RV shouldn't be chatting up with other ADs? No, but I also didn't take from this blog that is what is happening...but the AD can't start making a hard sell to lets say C-USA right now when the possibility exists that schools like Baylor and Tech and Kansas and Mizzou and K State may make an effort to hold together the remnants of the Big XII.

Patience.

• Upvote 3

High-level conference affiliations are about money, attendance, money, competition, money, demonstrated institutional commitment, money, prestige, money, geography, and money.

All of those are important, but one seems to stand out. It's not about how much money the university has, but how much the school's inclusion means to the conference organization and the whole group. SMU can tap one rich guy or a handful of them to pay for their stadium and coach, but I don't think they produce much revenue for their conference-mates.

That's where UNT will have to make its pitch, when an opportunity arises: potential for conference contributions. History hasn't been too kind, but that's why they call it salesmanship.

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, I'd be getting my website blogger to talk about how the athletics department is working for the best interest of the program, or turning over every rock, or anything, ANYTHING other than "the only thing we can do is sit and wait."

Damnit - I'm out of +1's sir. SO I will give you a virtual ++1 :thumbsup:

Can we all start to email RV or the Interim Prez?

I think we as students and former students need to make our voices heard about how we feel about taking advantage of this opportunity. We simply cannot sit and wait. I spoke with RV over a year ago about the WAC and why we didn't accept their offer. His response was terrible, he said "well we are in a good spot right now; the sun belt is looking better and better and..."...pretty much the same thing the guy who wrote the article said.

Pretty depressing that the AD doesn't care what the students want, only what he wants.

• Downvote 7

Can we all start to email RV or the Interim Prez?

I think we as students and former students need to make our voices heard about how we feel about taking advantage of this opportunity. We simply cannot sit and wait. I spoke with RV over a year ago about the WAC and why we didn't accept their offer. His response was terrible, he said "well we are in a good spot right now; the sun belt is looking better and better and..."...pretty much the same thing the guy who wrote the article said.

Pretty depressing that the AD doesn't care what the students want, only what he wants.

RV's wishy-washy response when given a chance to diss his school's conference to a stranger says it all!

But why stop with just emailing our own people? This is the kind of defeatist, think-small attitude that has kept North Texas athletics down for too long!

I think we should take control of this process from the amateurs who run UNT. Starting right now, every alumnus should phone the commissioners of every desireable athletic conference 10 times per hour and screech a loud "CAWW!" into the phone each time the receptionist answers. Since at least the bigger conference offices probably can afford caller ID, after a few calls it would be best if you borrowed a phone from the guy in the next cubicle who went to UT.

Then after 24 solid hours of 100,000 alumni making 10 calls per hour, for a total of 24,000,000 calls, we start the emails. Every person sends attachments with WKU game footage and an MP3 of the fight song every 10 minutes for 24 hours.

Next comes the skywriting over the commissioners' home offices. PA trucks outside their homes are optional, but would be nice.

Then we put videos on YouTube showing all of us holding our breath until we get what we want.

Or we can believe for just a sliver of a moment that the same university president who has multiple terms as an NCAA board member and chair of three conferences and who just gave the AD a raise and a contract extension might know something that the rest of us don't about how college athletics works.

• Upvote 3

RV's wishy-washy response when given a chance to diss his school's conference to a stranger says it all!

But why stop with just emailing our own people? This is the kind of defeatist, think-small attitude that has kept North Texas athletics down for too long!

I think we should take control of this process from the amateurs who run UNT. Starting right now, every alumnus should phone the commissioners of every desireable athletic conference 10 times per hour and screech a loud "CAWW!" into the phone each time the receptionist answers. Since at least the bigger conference offices probably can afford caller ID, after a few calls it would be best if you borrowed a phone from the guy in the next cubicle who went to UT.

Then after 24 solid hours of 100,000 alumni making 10 calls per hour, for a total of 24,000,000 calls, we start the emails. Every person sends attachments with WKU game footage and an MP3 of the fight song every 10 minutes for 24 hours.

Next comes the skywriting over the commissioners' home offices. PA trucks outside their homes are optional, but would be nice.

Then we put videos on YouTube showing all of us holding our breath until we get what we want.

Or we can believe for just a sliver of a moment that the same university president who has multiple terms as an NCAA board member and chair of three conferences and who just gave the AD a raise and a contract extension might know something that the rest of us don't about how college athletics works.

Both are solid ideas.

I thought that was the marketing plan for the Texas Tech game.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I believe the upcoming student feel can only legally cover half of this idea. Where do we come up with the rest of the funds to pull this off?

Maybe it's time to do something Just For Fun.

Doesn't have to be historically significant.

You jokesters spent all this time ruining conference realignment pipedream circle jerk threads for the last 5 years and now look at us -- we're being left out of the new super conferences.

Thanks for nothing.

Also, totally missed the slinky reference at first and feel bad about it. COOL KID CODE EVEN ESCAPES THE COOL KIDS!

• Upvote 2

You jokesters spent all this time ruining conference realignment pipedream circle jerk threads for the last 5 years and now look at us -- we're being left out of the new super conferences.

Thanks for nothing.

If you people had implemented my Mexia plan, we'd have the statewide support we need to move to the Pac-18 already.

I blame everyone but myself, frankly.