Phil Steele's Comments On Unt

MeanGreen61

From Steele's Belt forecast. Sez UNT will finish 3rd.(Sure hope he's right)

This is by far Todd Dodge's best team yet. Despite the fact that last year's QB Riley Dodge has had to move to WR due to a shoulder injury, I look for their offense to be more potent. Defensively they made great strides last year allowing 12.0 ppg less and this year with 8 starters back, figure to have their best D since at least 2006. NT made my Most Improved List which means I think they will go from a losing season to bowl eligibility. In the last 4 years NT is 4-25 in the SBC play and could win more games in conference action this year than they have in the last 4 years combined.

Edited by MeanGreen61

From Steele's Belt forecast. Sez UNT will finish 3rd.(Sure hope he's right)

This is by far Todd Dodge's best team yet. Despite the fact that last year's QB Riley Dodge has had to move to WR due to a shoulder injury, I look for their offense to be more potent. Defensively they made great strides last year allowing 12.0 ppg less and this year with 8 starters back, figure to have their best D since at least 2006. NT made my Most Improved List which means I think they will go from a losing season to bowl eligibility. In the last 4 years NT is 4-25 in the SBC play and could win more games in conference action this year than they have in the last 4 years combined.

I know that we need all of the positive hype that we can get but this really needs to be looked at in its full context.

Steele picks us at #98 in his power poll. Middle and Troy are well ahead of us. All of the other SBC members range from #106 (FAU) to #119 (WKU). So while we are moving up from last year our lofty perch is partially due to the ineptitude of the other members. The Belt is dead last as a conference. We need to do better and the conference needs to as well.