Nightmare Scenario

emmitt01

I know all of this conference shifting has many on this board excited, thinking perhaps the dominoes may fall to allow NT inclusion in CUSA. Or, at worst an eastern WAC division. Let me ask this though. What happens if the Big XII dissolves and, like has been suggested on messageboards and comments sections I've been lurking, the leftover schools from Kansas, Missouri and Iowa decide to pick off a few MWC teams and regain their presence in Texas with tcu, smu and houston? Until the bcs rewrites the contract wouldn't this be more feasible than the MWC being able to pick up the big xii leftovers? Especially since Baylor too could be sitting there with the homeless teams. Or, if the mwc IS able to take in the big xii leftovers why wouldn't they also take smu as tcu's travel partner?

Bottom line, we could end up in a revised cusa...but both of the other metroplex teams could be in a much stronger (read, more relevant) conference. Even with potentially adding rice, utep, la tech, tulane etc we couldn't compete with k-state and/or baylor coming to town. Our best hope is that the big xii castoffs include Colorado, not baylor, and they decide to raid the WAC for Boise and steal from the mwc not including tcu. I just don't see them giving up the Texas markets...and I don't see us being in the plans to keep it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I know all of this conference shifting has many on this board excited, thinking perhaps the dominoes may fall to allow NT inclusion in CUSA. Or, at worst an eastern WAC division. Let me ask this though. What happens if the Big XII dissolves and, like has been suggested on messageboards and comments sections I've been lurking, the leftover schools from Kansas, Missouri and Iowa decide to pick off a few MWC teams and regain their presence in Texas with tcu, smu and houston? Until the bcs rewrites the contract wouldn't this be more feasible than the MWC being able to pick up the big xii leftovers? Especially since Baylor too could be sitting there with the homeless teams. Or, if the mwc IS able to take in the big xii leftovers why wouldn't they also take smu as tcu's travel partner?

Bottom line, we could end up in a revised cusa...but both of the other metroplex teams could be in a much stronger (read, more relevant) conference. Even with potentially adding rice, utep, la tech, tulane etc we couldn't compete with k-state and/or baylor coming to town. Our best hope is that the big xii castoffs include Colorado, not baylor, and they decide to raid the WAC for Boise and steal from the mwc not including tcu. I just don't see them giving up the Texas markets...and I don't see us being in the plans to keep it.

That would be a scary situation, but I don't think it will happen. If MU and NU got to the BIg 10 and the other six go to the Pac 10 then just 4 schools are left. The Big 12 is dead at that point because of the rule about six schools needing to be together for at least five years to be a basketball AQ or to keep their NCAA tournament units (tournament money) and according to the NY Times their BSC AQ status. I'm not sure a believe the last part, but it was in the NY Times here.

I just don't see that as a nightmare scenario. We are already in a conference at least a notch below SMU, and another notch below TCU. UNT being in a conference including UTEP, Tulsa, La Tech, and Rice would be better than what we have now. No, it wouldn't be an ideal scenario without at least one of the other Metroplex teams, but I don't see it as a nightmare either.

• Upvote 2

Like I said in the other thread, if the Big XII dissolves, I see both KU and K. State putting all of their efforts into joining the Big East. I'm sure they see what happened to Memphis the same as everyone else, and don't want it repeated. Obviously there were other complications with Memphis, but kids want to play against schools like Uconn, Notre Dame, Louisville, etc. They don't want to play against Colorado State, Utah, and TCU.

At the end of the day though is the WAC or CUSA still the WAC or CUSA as we know it now to be. With the changes in places, the WAC could be the New Sunbelt, The CUSA the NEW.....

No matter how it plays out, three Super Conferences will have a team in the National Championship every year. And the Little guys will be stuck eating Papa Johns in Papa Johns stadium.

I know all of this conference shifting has many on this board excited, thinking perhaps the dominoes may fall to allow NT inclusion in CUSA. Or, at worst an eastern WAC division. Let me ask this though. What happens if the Big XII dissolves and, like has been suggested on messageboards and comments sections I've been lurking, the leftover schools from Kansas, Missouri and Iowa decide to pick off a few MWC teams and regain their presence in Texas with tcu, smu and houston?

Never happen.

Why do you think we have Lee Jackson as a Chancelllor? His awesome Austin connections would neeeever allow UNT to be left behind. We would most CERTAINLY have to be in a package with TCU, SMU, Baylor and/or Houston, or else the legislature would never go for it.

This is one of the big reasons you were hired, Judge. GET TO WORK.

****Sarcasm tag********

not holding my breath.

• Upvote 1

Ive seen UNT personally beat the hell out of Baylor at Fouts,though the likelyhood of that happening any time real soon is nil. I think the Mean Green could develop into quite the C-USA team especially in terms of basketball.