Nebraska To Big 10

MCMLXXX

My take on the dominoes...

Nebraska and Missouri to the Big 10.

UT-Austin, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, Oklahoma, and Colorado to the Pac 10.

Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, and (maybe) Baylor to the Big East. If not, Baylor to the MWC.

CUSA possibly moves to 14 schools, adding one in the west (North Texas), and one in the east (MTSU or WKU).

Sun Belt no further changes.

MAC no changes.

WAC no changes.

Edited by ColoradoEagle

My take on the dominoes...

Nebraska and Missouri to the Big 10.

UT-Austin, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, Oklahoma, and Colorado to the Pac 10.

Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, and (maybe) Baylor to the Big East. If not, Baylor to the MWC.

CUSA possibly moves to 14 schools, adding one in the west (North Texas), and one in the east (MTSU or WKU).

Sun Belt no further changes.

MAC no changes.

WAC no changes.

I just don't see the old Big XII/Big 8 teams going to the Big East. MWC, or adding teams to their own new conference, would make more sense.

And C-USA does not go to 14 schools just to add MUTS and UNT. Our best bet is if one of the other conferences raids C-USA. SMU to the MWC might actually be a good thing for UNT.

I just don't see the old Big XII/Big 8 teams going to the Big East. MWC, or adding teams to their own new conference, would make more sense.

And C-USA does not go to 14 schools just to add MUTS and UNT. Our best bet is if one of the other conferences raids C-USA. SMU to the MWC might actually be a good thing for UNT.

My thoughts are: Kansas St and especially Kansas rely on basketball as their bread and butter. No conference they could form or joining the MWC would help their basketball programs, where joining a basketball heavy Big East would keep them in the hunt for a national title. Iowa State would tag along. I'm not convinced that anyone wants Baylor, but they could get into the Big East based on their basketball performance last year, or join the MWC as a travel partner for TCU and fit in line with TCU and BYU.

CUSA has hired a consultant again to expand. It may be somewhat reactionary to everything going on, but I feel there may be a real need in that conference to reduce the travel costs and smooth out the schedules. Seven teams per division is much easier to schedule than six teams per division. North Texas just barely missed last time, and that was mostly due to our poor football stadium. That is no longer a liability, and a brand new stadium will look good on TV. It also creates a travel partner (whether they like it or not) for SMU and mirrors the configuration in Houston (UH and Rice).

They will have to balance on the east by bringing in another school. Neither FAU nor FIU are in a position to upgrade to another conference. Troy's academics and remote location make them a poor pick. MTSU with its great location and facilities or WKU with its basketball tradition seem like the most obvious fits.

With TCU in the MWC, there's not a chance in hell that SMU moves. TCU specifically moved conferences because of SMU joining CUSA, and the MWC would not invite SMU unless TCU requested it. I see TCU backing Baylor as a travel partner as they're like minded, and TCU doesn't see Baylor as a threat in recruiting.

"A source close to the situation has told Fox Sports Ohio that The Big Ten has offered an invitation to Nebraska to become the 12th member of the elite conference."

http://www.foxsportsohio.com/06/09/10/Reports-Nebraska-to-Join-Big-Ten/landing.html?blockID=250141&feedID=3724

Is everyone expecting the Big East to be decimated? I would see Kansas and Kansas State as better fits in that conference than they are in the Big XII.

Probably. It's strongly rumored that the Big 10 will take two, perhaps three. If the ACC has to add teams apparently West Virginia (partner to Maryland) and UConn (partner to Boston College) are in. Whether they need to take Louisville, Cincinnati and USF is up in the air because no one knows if or how many the SEC will add. If the Pac 16 and Big 16 become reality the SEC and ACC will likely follow suit. If so, the Big East goes back to being a basketball conference.

4 conferences, 64 teams. I'm guessing the "playoff" we've always wanted is coming in a form involving only these 4 conferences. The have nots are being phased out faster than an almond joy in the cafeteria at fat camp.

But only the Big 10 and Pack-10 will matter right? What ever happened to that one powerhouse that is content with 12 teams in the SEC.

The Ticket (1310 AM for those living under a rock) is now reporting that the Regents at Nebraska have voted to join the Big 10 and Osbourne is making all of the appropriate notifications. They say the switch will be announced at a press conference on Friday.

Conference realignment and a new stadium for UNT????

Can a better conference for UNT be far behind??

What if the Big East pulls off a coup and gets Notre Dame to commit?

ph34r.gif

Sorry, but I just don't see that happening.

Notre Dame supposedly makes around 12 million with their TV package. I don't know what the Big East makes from football but I believe it to be the smallest of the AQ conferences. To get Notre Dame the Big East would likely have to allow them to keep their money until the contract runs out. It would salvage both Notre Dame and the Big East....maybe. If Pitt, Rutgers, Syracuse et al were offered $22 million per year to jump to the Big 10 would they refuse? I doubt it. But, it would at least give the Irish a schedule and make it easier to get schools from other conferences (notably CUSA) to join. It would also keep the Big East an AQ conference.

The Ticket (1310 AM for those living under a rock) is now reporting that the Regents at Nebraska have voted to join the Big 10 and Osbourne is making all of the appropriate notifications. They say the switch will be announced at a press conference on Friday.

Conference realignment and a new stadium for UNT????

Can a better conference for UNT be far behind??

They're talking about it now (on the TCKT) and have announced that Colorado has accepted the PAC 10 invite. Make sure that the safety bar is tightly secured over your lap and keep your hands inside the cart.

Edited by BeanCounterGrad'03

What ever happened to the talk of Texas and A&M going to the SEC? That makes more sense to me from a marketing and travel perspective. Also that would allow Florida to block Miami and FSU out and the Gators would love to freeze them out.

I wouldn't be shocked at all to see the Aggs go to the SEC. I would love it.

I wouldn't be shocked at all to see the Aggs go to the SEC. I would love it.

TX A&M won't go anywhere unless Texas heads the same way. Look for TX and TX A&M, OU, OSU, TT, COLO etc. to head to the PAC10 if Neb. bolts to the Big 10.

I think TX would love to see the Big XII stay in tact, but won't sit by idle when the breakup starts. For all the folks who hate TX on this site...just get over it as in this deal TX is the cash cow/bell cow that everyone wants. TX even trumps OU in this deal.

Not a big TX fan myself (having also graduated from Okla St), but I see no reason other than jealousy to "hate them". Seems to me that they are a pretty successful program and have helped some lesser programs along they way.

Really don't give TX much thought other than when they play OU, OSU, etc. Sort of like SMU...no big deal. I'll take UNT and put my effort into helping where I can.

GO MEAN GREEN!