Cusa Hires Expansion Consultant

Chuck Neinas is arguably the most respected name in this field. He is a former Big 8 commissioner, assistant director of the NCAA, and experienced researcher and media negotiator.

The reason that he was hired IMO was to get the politics and bickering out of the selection process. He is money well spent.

Chuck Neinas is arguably the most respected name in this field. He is a former Big 8 commissioner, assistant director of the NCAA, and experienced researcher and media negotiator.

The reason that he was hired IMO was to get the politics and bickering out of the selection process. He is money well spent.

Good qualifications to be a consultant... but what is CUSA looking to do? Are they going to proactively look at inviting schools (if so, hopefully they would consider us)? Or are they just trying to line up ducks in case the hammer falls on the Big 12?

What is the point of hiring this guy now?

Neinas Sports Service

http://www.neinassports.com/bio.html

Edited by MeanGreen61

Was he the person who visited and evaluated UNT for CUSA ? If so he would definately see the dramatic changes/upgrades that have been made.

date='08 June 2010 - 12:48 PM']RE: CUSA hires expansion consultant

Identifying schools is no big deal. I think it goes deeper than just identification of schools. I am guessing it goes to potential tv monies, bowls, travel time and monies, etc, everything that is the positive and the negative to either adding schoos (an invite from CUSA) to chasing after schools that might not initially consider CUSA. In summary, I view this is viewed by CUSA officials as a nonbiased report on the positives of CUSA (as well as the negatives).

I am also guessing this is targeted at:

1. Louisville, Cincy, and USF

2. Colorado/Baylor, KU, KSU, ISU

3. TCU and maybe BYU & UU

An evaluation of alternative and mix and match with the ultimate goal to pull all the best that is out there within the framework of CUSA:

CUSA/North Division:

Colorado or Baylor

KU

KSU

ISU

Houston

TCU

CUSA/WEST DIVISION:

UTEP

SMU

Rice

UNT or UTSA

Tulsa

Tulane

CUSA/GULF (BP?) DIVISION:

Cincy

Louisville

Memphis

UAB

USM

??????

CUSA/EAST DIVISION:

Marshall

ECU

USF

UCF

??????

??????

What I am thinking here is of a CUSA with the CUSA/West schools plus the Big-12 schools and/or TCU forming the western division....and ECU, Louisville, and USF added to the east...and any combination in between.

Neimas, an old guy, is also a respected guy, TU's hire of Keith BUrns nonwithstanding.

Awesome, just awesome....I love being considered as an equal to a school that has never even played a single down of football. :angry::rolleyes: Why does everyone think Larry Coker is a god?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Awesome, just awesome....I love being considered as an equal to a school that has never even played a single down of football. :angry::rolleyes: Why does everyone think Larry Coker is a god?

Because San Antonio is behind UTSA with its $$. It knows the multiplier effect of D-1 football on the local economy unlike some dumb a__es in the Denton community. Arlington committed $400 million on the come to get Jerry's World. It's time this berg woke up to the potential that surrounds its major employer.

• Upvote 2

It's one thing to have a bunch of message board posters and bloggers speculating about UTSA, but now I have to hear it discussed on ESPN's "College Football Live." In a closing statement, Bob Davie was discussing where Kansas, K-State, etc might go and then said, "You have UTSA, Georgia State and South Alabama that haven't even played a game yet, but they're waiting to see if maybe they have a chance to get into Conference USA down the road."

It's one thing to have a bunch of message board posters and bloggers speculating about UTSA, but now I have to hear it discussed on ESPN's "College Football Live." In a closing statement, Bob Davie was discussing where Kansas, K-State, etc might go and then said, "You have UTSA, Georgia State and South Alabama that haven't even played a game yet, but they're waiting to see if maybe they have a chance to get into Conference USA down the road."

Ignore the Elephant in the room if you want, but eventually you will have to pay attention when it starts moving your direction! :shocking:

Maybe UTSA is becoming known to the media just based on their constant attitude of "wanting" to be in an FBS conference. And they want to start as high as they can get: ie CUSA or WAC. SunBelt? "No Thanks". Do we appear in the media as "wanting a step up" or would that be too un-PC to say in front of the other SBC wanna-get-outs? <_<

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Was he the person who visited and evaluated UNT for CUSA ? If so he would definately see the dramatic changes/upgrades that have been made.

Yes, he was and from reports was impressed with our campus at that time. I'm sure that he'll update every facet of his report so that all of the improvements since his last visit will be duly noted.

This time, if most of the scenarios are true then he may be recommending as many as five replacements just to get back to 12. Based on the last evaluations you'd think that La Tech and us are probably safe but numbers 3, 4, and 5 are very important so it's good to have a firm of Neinas stature making the picks.

Since the last time he was in Denton, I believe we've added the Chemistry and Wellness buildings as well as a new dorm. We're almost done with the Life Sciences Complex. We've built/renovated several sports facilities including the softball & soccer fields and Waranch, and started construction on both the new Business building and, of course, the stadium. I'm not sure what La. Tech has done in the past five years, but I doubt it can even hold a candle to what's being done on our campus.

Also, when was the last time that anyone we'd be competing against in our move has been to the NCAA tournament, much less twice within the past four years?

Edited by ColoradoEagle
  • Upvote 1

Ignore the Elephant in the room if you want, but eventually you will have to pay attention when it starts moving your direction! :shocking:

Maybe UTSA is becoming known to the media just based on their constant attitude of "wanting" to be in an FBS conference. And they want to start as high as they can get: ie CUSA or WAC. SunBelt? "No Thanks". Do we appear in the media as "wanting a step up" or would that be too un-PC to say in front of the other SBC wanna-get-outs? <_<

This was Hayden Fry's attitude. He never took a "hat-in-hand" attitude about North Texas joining the old SWC. His attitude was that the SWC would/should jump at this wonderful opportunity to add North Texas to the SWC family.

It's the same message that the character "Starbuck" (Burt Lancaster) was conveying to "Lizzie Curry" (Katherine Hepburn) in the Movie "The Rainmaker". And that is that if you don't believe in yourself, then no one else will.

No longer a rumor.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2010/jun/09/ex-big-8-leader-to-advise-c-usa/

Conference USA may not be on the frontburner of college athletics realignment, but it has retained a heavyweight to help guide the league through expansion in whatever form it takes.