Wac Press Conference

If we aren't able to gain admission to CUSA which conference would you prefer:

Hawaii, Fresno State, San Jose State, Nevada, Idaho, Utah State, New Mexico State, Louisiana Tech, or

Florida Atlantic, Florida International, Troy, Western Kentucky, Middle Tennessee, ULM, Louisiana and Arkansas State?

The latter two might also be possibilities for the WAC.

For me, the key is to maintain all of the WAC schools except Boise. Or, if Boise stays, so much the better.

• Upvote 1

While I love "North Texas" and it has always been in our history, it has a regional name implication. No, we are not like USC. tongue.gif

It only has a regional implication because we haven't done anything to change that implication. WIN. WIN when it matters (games against Big 6, top 25, and bowl competition). WIN consistently.

Do those three things and your name could be University of Northeast Northern Most Texas.

Everyone would know it.

• Upvote 1

It only has a regional implication because we haven't done anything to change that implication. WIN. WIN when it matters (games against Big 6, top 25, and bowl competition). WIN consistently.

Do those three things and your name could be University of Northeast Northern Most Texas.

Everyone would know it.

That's the bottom line. Winning. Face it, who knew about Boise State in 1996 when they went 1A? Once they started winning, consistantly, the rest is history.

Everyone would know it.

Agree. Who would have thought a Boise State could become such a name program?

(Ha. Deep, you type faster than I do! :) )

Edited by NT80

I didn't realize that Texas State provoked this type of reaction out of the the UNT fanbase.

We are just trying to cut our path, and make ourselves better, like every other team in the nation. We're pumping new money into our program, and upgrading all of our facilities with the hopes that someone will be interested in what we have to offer.

As for the name, from what I have read, you guys could have had it if you would have stayed in the Texas State System.

• Upvote 1

Everyone would know it.

I've said this for a long time, so to a point, I agree.

However you have to have PLAYERS to win games. So the question becomes, which conference, on average, is going to bring in higher-ranking recruits?

I'd assume the WAC.

You are exactly correct. Texas State is a system not a school. The correct name is Texas State University at San Marcos. They are neither the flagship nor do they have exclusive rights SFA or SHSU can call themselves Texas State at Nacogdoches or Huntsville any time they want. San Marcos just jumped on the promo and ignorance of the facts shown by the media. I know in the 70's we pushed for a name change to Texas State in our quest for the SWC. We were politely told by Austin that the name was reserved in case A$M ever wanted to change to it since they are the only Ag school in the country without "State" in their name. Fat chance that they would ever agree to change, but that's the excuse we got.

I personally like UNT much like USC.

Officially they are Texas State University at San Marcos. But they have chosen to be called just Texas State by the media. Maybe, if another Texas State System university chooses to become Texas State University at (whatever) and it becomes confusing they or the media might choose to use their official name.

Sometimes it's just a gentleman's agreement what you are called. For instance, unofficially the University of Louisiana at Lafayette goes by Louisiana and the University of Louisiana at Monroe goes by ULM.

By the way, not every school that has 'State' following its name is an Ag school. The most notable exception is Florida State. Alabama State is a historically black school; the ag school is at Auburn. South Carolina's ag school is at Clemson not South Carolina State. True, the vast majority of those with the state's name followed by State are agriculture schools, or at least were originally.

Officially they are Texas State University at San Marcos. But they have chosen to be called just Texas State by the media. Maybe, if another Texas State System university chooses to become Texas State University at (whatever) and it becomes confusing they or the media might choose to use their official name.

Sometimes it's just a gentleman's agreement what you are called. For instance, unofficially the University of Louisiana at Lafayette goes by Louisiana and the University of Louisiana at Monroe goes by ULM.

By the way, not every school that has 'State' following its name is an Ag school. The most notable exception is Florida State. Alabama State is a historically black school; the ag school is at Auburn. South Carolina's ag school is at Clemson not South Carolina State. True, the vast majority of those with the state's name followed by State are agriculture schools, or at least were originally.

Alabama State, South Carolina State , along with at least one historically black school for every other southern and "border" state, are "Ag" schools, if you mean by that being given land or cash grants under one of the Morrill Acts. It was the Morrill Act of 1890, intended to include the former Confederate states, that gave them the option of creating separate "Land Grant" schools for Blacks (or admitting blacks to a single land grant school, which was not an option taken any of those states). Here's the article from Wikipedia; you can scroll down to click on the list (not entirely complete, as most of the "tribal" schools for Native Americans are not listed because of not being 4 year schools).

Morrill Act (Land Grant) schools