Should We Start Contacting Our Congressmen?

So recent rumor is that the Texas legislators are working behind the scenes to get Baylor included in the PAC-10 instead of Colorado. This is bull, if the Texas congress is going to bat for a school shouldn't it be a taxpayer-supported school? UH, UNT, and UTEP should pool their collective legislative strength to fight this - IMHO.

Edited by MeanGreenTeeth
  • Upvote 3

So recent rumor is that the Texas legislators are working behind the scenes to get Baylor included in the PAC-10 instead of Colorado. This is bull, if the Texas congress is going to bat for a school shouldn't it be a taxpayer-supported school? UH, UNT, and UTEP should pool their collective legislative strength to fight this - IMHO.

Agreed. On Baylorfans.com they are saying that it only makes sense that the legislature stand up for them given that getting another Texas school in is what's good for the state of Texas - so it's their JOB to lobby/push/threaten for Baylor.

In actuality it makes NO sense. When it comes to what is good for the overall benefit of Texans, the legislature SHOULD BE lobbying for another state supported school. All three you've mentioned certainly have a far greater reach educationally (# of students) and economically than freaking Baylor!

It's not exactly a rumor. I have a graduate degree from Baylor and got an email from the university this afternoon asking me to try to influence and many people as I can. Baylor is not going to just give up in this. They have pretty significant resources, starting with the new President, Judge Kenneth Starr. Judge Starr certainly knows his way around Republican circles. Also the Baylor law school has turned out some extremely successful trail lawyers who are the primary source of funding for the Democratic Party in Texas.

My question is, what do you want UH, UNT and UTEP to fight? Baylor working for themselves or the entire idea of a Pac 16? Either way, it is going to be an uphill battle.

It's not exactly a rumor. I have a graduate degree from Baylor and got an email from the university this afternoon asking me to try to influence and many people as I can. Baylor is not going to just give up in this. They have pretty significant resources, starting with the new President, Judge Kenneth Starr. Judge Starr certainly knows his way around Republican circles. Also the Baylor law school has turned out some extremely successful trail lawyers who are the primary source of funding for the Democratic Party in Texas.

My question is, what do you want UH, UNT and UTEP to fight? Baylor working for themselves or the entire idea of a Pac 16? Either way, it is going to be an uphill battle.

Honestly I just want the legislature to stay out of it. I really don't care if Baylor gets in instead of Colorado, I just don't want the state legislature getting involved.