The Possibility I See I The Whole Realignment Screw Up

Texas is going to go somewhere. And, they'll pretty much dictate where they'll go.

I see:

-Texas A&M and Oklahoma as future SEC members

-Nebraska and Missouri as future Big 10 (11) members

-Colorado as a future Pac-10 member

The others? I haven't the foggiest clue. Texas Tech was a political hanger-on at the inception of the Big 12, as was Baylor. Baylor is screwed (spell that, C-U-S-A); Tech may get an invite to the Pac-10.

Oklahoma State, perpetually all smoke and no fire on the field, could be attractive because of T. Boone Pickens' investment in both the school and its athletics. But, where? Possibly the SEC.

Iowa State has a big bag of nothing to offer anyone. Like Kansas State and pre-T.Boone Oklahoma State, they were just there because they were already in the Big 8. Seriously, I see Iowa State and Kansas State having to bite hard and go down to Conference USA or the MWC with Baylor.

The best future fit for Kansas seems to be the Big 10 (11), but they are never mentioned. They'd make the Big Ten an even better basketball conference, joining Michigan State and Illinois.

Whatever happens, the Big 12 is finished. The only variable now is for Texas to decide what they want to do. Once they do, everyone else will depart very quickly.

The problem with the Big 12 has always been Baylor and Texas Tech. If the merger had just been Texas A&M and Texas joining the Big 8, that would have been fine.

But, as greedy as the big schools have become, the lure of a playoff and the TV revenue, along with the added bowl games when the stragglers of the conference hit the 6-win jackpot, made it acceptable to swallow the Bears and Red Raiders.

I wouldn't cry for those ending up in the MWC or CUSA, though. I think when this whole thing is sorted out, they'll be given some sort of "in" to the BCS. Or, at least they'll be given a leg up over the Sun Belt, the WAC, and the MAC.

Right now, aTm is feeling like they're being strong-armed into joining the PAC-10, from what I've read. They are threatening to be a wrench in the Chip Brown published scenario for a new PAC-16 because they are actively courting the SEC.

Some think that the proposed new PAC-10 design was floated by the PAC-10 itself in order to entice Texas by providing enough "neighborhood" teams to allay Texas' reluctance to be the easternmost border state in the new league.

Right now, aTm is feeling like they're being strong-armed into joining the PAC-10, from what I've read. They are threatening to be a wrench in the Chip Brown published scenario for a new PAC-16 because they are actively courting the SEC.

Some think that the proposed new PAC-10 design was floated by the PAC-10 itself in order to entice Texas by providing enough "neighborhood" teams to allay Texas' reluctance to be the easternmost border state in the new league.

Texas is an academic snob school, so I see them bailing to the Big 10 over the Pac-10. But, they are also the biggest money whore is college football, so I could see them spreading their legs to a Pac-16 as well.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Texas is an academic snob school, so I see them bailing to the Big 10 over the Pac-10. But, they are also the biggest money whore is college football, so I could see them spreading their legs to a Pac-16 as well.

Pac-10 is a pretty big academic snob league. Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 1

New SEC

East

Florida

Tennessee

Georgia

South Carolina

Kentucky

Vanderbilt

Auburn

West

Alabama

LSU

Mississippi

Mississippi State

Arkansas

Texas A&M

Oklahoma

Oh my holy moly! just throw in Boomer Sooner in the west. I like where you're going, but I wouldn't see commisioner Silvie splitting up Bama and Auburn. The Iron Bowl (one of the best rivalries in college football) has to have some meaning on Thanksgiving Weekend.

You and I are parallel thinkers on the Big XII dissipation.

...but I wouldn't see commisioner Silvie splitting up Bama and Auburn. The Iron Bowl (one of the best rivalries in college football) has to have some meaning on Thanksgiving Weekend.

You and I are parallel thinkers on the Big XII dissipation.

Good point with Auburn-Bama. Maybe they could make it an annual game anyway...unlike the way the Big 12 (and OU) buried the annual OU-Nebraska game.

Think of this...an Auburn-Bama Championship game the week after Iron Bowl!

Of all my hypotheticals that will never come true, it's the OU/A&M to the SEC I like best.

Personally, though, I don't think Texas or Oklahoma really would go to the SEC or Big 10 because neither of them wants to be in a conference where they are challenged every week. Aside from money, that's a big reason those two would go Pac-10 over Big 10 and SEC.

The only real traditional power in the Pac-10 is USC. In the Big 10, Texas would have to face big crowds at Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio State, and Iowa (and possibly Notre Dame) year after year. OU wants no part of LSU, etc. year in and year out either. Stoops was 2-2 versus Les Miles when he was at OSU with inferior teams. No way he'd go for the SEC and facing Miles and others with equal athletes.

Right or wrong, I just don't see Texas or Oklahoma jumping into a more competitive kettle.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

Bill Byrne is confirming that PAC-10 is now a possibility for the Ags per Kirk Bohls Twitter feed.

As much as the A$M AD would like to hear about an SEC offer the people who make the decisions at A$M will make them follow UT to the west if they go. Texas is waiting on Nebraska to pull the trigger if it receives a Big10 invite then UT will sign on with the PAC10 with half the Big12 tagging along. Baylor, KU, KSU, and Iowa St. will be reduced to begging for MWC inclusion.