Why The Wac Should Consider A Meaner Greener Future

If we stay in the SunBelt, and either of those schools jumps to FBS, we are in trouble.

Take SWT for example. How far behind are they from us? They too are updating their football stadium, built new softball and baseball complexes, updating facilities, $20 million dollar budget, etc etc etc

Bobcatstadiumfront.png

All they need is a conference invite come 2011.

Like I said, either embrace them or run faster (wac).

It'd a nice picture, but Texas State's stadium still looks pretty mickey mouse in person.

The baseball thing is troublesome and not having it will make us less attractive to other conferences. I remember when we were supposed to play our first season of baseball in 2008. Sigh.

If it comes down to the WAC or the Sun Belt, I say we chose the conference opposite of UTSA, Texas State, and Lamar. We do ourselves no good by being on their level. I'd rather take the risk and not be in that conference.

Guys,

UTSA and Texas State are NOT going to be included in ANY expansion talks. It makes no sense to include them in any scenario because there is still a moratorium on moving up to FBS, and it doesn't look like that's going to be lifted any time soon.

Even if it is lifted, why on earth would any of these three teams go to the front of the line ahead of power I-AA schools like Appalachian State, Deleware, or Montana? don't say media market because the NCAA doesn't care about media markets, only about the program feasibility.

You mean schools like UALR, Arkansas State, Louisiana-Monroe, Louisiana-Lafayette, Texas State, Lamar, and UTSA? unsure.gif

This Big 12 shakeup does not bode well for us at all. I had always looked at realignment as an opportunity for us to get into a mid-level conference like MWC or CUSA because mid-major teams would be the only available options for them to choose from. But with the Big 12 shattering into pieces, those mid-level conferences suddenly have prettier prom dates to choose from.

I think MWC will now aggressively pursue Kansas and Kansas State to make a 12-team conference with an invite to Boise State as well. A fight over TCU may break out between the SEC and MWC, especially if A&M goes to the SEC.

Meanwhile, if CUSA breaks up with the East Coast teams running away, the WAC may suddenly look to SMU, Houston, UTEP, Tulsa and Rice instead of North Texas.

Nope. UALR doesn't play football so they're out. I would take Arkansas State and/or Louisiana. I would take Texas State and maybe UTSA. But, since UTSA has never played a game we have no clue how well they'll be accepted by San Antonio. I'd definitely take a wait and see attitude with them. Nothing against them (I was born in that county) but no Lamar, please. I don't believe that ULM is long for Division 1A. In fact, their very existence is debatable so no to them also.

I'm thinking of say, SMU, TCU, Tulsa, Houston, Rice, UTEP, Louisiana Tech and Southern Miss. I'd like to be where the preponderance of those teams are.