Pac-10 To Offer Invites To 6 Big-12 Schools

UNTflyer

Nebraska is on the clock.

http://www.newsok.com/is-nebraska-on-the-clock/article/3466077?custom_click=lead_story_title#ixzz0pvNSDyUd

Nebraska and Missouri need to be careful. There is thought that they tipped their hand too soon with regards to the Big 10. Neither of them have received an offer, and they face the real possibility of being left holding their junk in their hand when this gets sorted out.

Nebraska is on the clock.

http://www.newsok.com/is-nebraska-on-the-clock/article/3466077?custom_click=lead_story_title#ixzz0pvNSDyUd

Like the writer says, the Big12 is all about the Big3 = Nebraska, OU, Texas. The Big10 however, if Notre Dame joins, plus Michigan, Penn St., Ohio St., and then Nebraska = wow. I say they bolt if offered. And the Big10 feeling heat from the PAC10's bow shot to start the war, will make the offer.

Edited by NT80

I keep reading that when all is said and done, only 4 of the Big Six will be left standing, with the Big 12 and Big East giving up the ghost.

That's 64 teams. That leaves 56 teams that need good conferences. 56 / 4 = 14.

Let the Big Six shrink down to their 4 16-team Super Conferences, and let the remaining 5 conferences shrink down to 4 14-team conferences. And when the dust settles, the NCAA needs to step in and make a true playoff system for all Division I-A.

I keep reading that when all is said and done, only 4 of the Big Six will be left standing, with the Big 12 and Big East giving up the ghost.

That's 64 teams. That leaves 56 teams that need good conferences. 56 / 4 = 14.

Let the Big Six shrink down to their 4 16-team Super Conferences, and let the remaining 5 conferences shrink down to 4 14-team conferences. And when the dust settles, the NCAA needs to step in and make a true playoff system for all Division I-A.

This will be the final separation of the haves and have nots. For the rest of time, the national champion shall come from and only from the annointed field of 64. So let it be written, so let it be done.

Keith

I almost thought it had merit until I saw Baylor and South Florida in the SEC. laugh.giflaugh.gif

Hey, it was tough to decide where they went. I gave South Florida a spot because of their geography and recent success. Baylor I put in the the SEC because they are already an AQ-BCS team figuring SEC is looking for a school in Texas and assuming A&M follows big sister wherever she goes.

Sometimes I think all of this talk/saber rattling is simply to force ND into joining the Big 10 (11). And if that happens everything else stops and stays as it is.

Nebraska and Missouri need to be careful. There is thought that they tipped their hand too soon with regards to the Big 10. Neither of them have received an offer, and they face the real possibility of being left holding their junk in their hand when this gets sorted out.

I don't really think that either tipped their hand. My money goes to Jim Delany. But, if six bolt to the Pac-10 (not cut and dried) they have to try to cover themselves. Missouri seems to be a done deal regardless of what UT/TAMU et al do. Nebraska just doesn't want to be the only major left at the starting gate.

I expect Texas to go to the Pac-10 because that's where the most money will be. I'm disappointed in them. They have turned out to be the greediest of all of the NCAA teams. They deserve Jim Delaney and the Big 10.

We should go ahead and establish a Superconference and give them a different classification. It's where we're headed anyway. Then they can take all of the money and keep it.

Football is the only NCAA sport not governed by the total membership. Control is in the hands of a few and far, far less is returned to the have-nots than any other sport. The Big Six (soon to be the Big Four) conferences control the process of even being included. I'm amazed that Boise State, Utah and TCU were able to penetrate that stacked deck.

I'm all for capitalism as long as it's fair for all. College football is not big business and shouldn't act as such. Don't form more and more powerful cartels which will enentually take an even bigger percentage from the little guy and stifle chances of anyone being included in the elite circle.

Edited by GrayEagle
  • Upvote 2

I really do like Flyer's scenario. It's impossible to come up with a solution that doesn't screw someone. Believe me, I've tried hundreds of them.

There are a few that I might tweak. For example, I'd drop Army and Navy to the 'have0nots' and put Cincinnati in the 'haves' but I'm not sure of the other team that I'd move up.

That would leave room for eight more to advance to Division 1A and after that freeze it. Other replacements would only result from a drop in classification. It could help keep underhanded politics out of the NCAA. Just do it.

Okay, who will introduce this scenario at the next NCAA meeting? Let the NCAA organize and run their organization, not a select few.

This will be the final separation of the haves and have nots. For the rest of time, the national champion shall come from and only from the annointed field of 64. So let it be written, so let it be done.

Keith

I think you are dead on. The BCS will either be four, 16 team leagues, or five, 14 team leagues. Or whatever combination satifies a playoff scenerio and eliminates the SBC, MAC, WAC, etc. conferences. Total exclusivity for the haves. Subject closed.

If you had your choice, would you pick Texas Tech and Oklahoma State or would you select Utah and Kansas?

Nothing against Tech and OSU, but they would basically be filler. The Pac 10 is aiming for the top and Utah and Kansas add excellent programs and additional markets within the new Pac-16 footprint.

I think the Pac 16 would even include New Mexico before Tech would be seriously considered.

This expansion is strictly about selecting academically suitable flagship schools that will increase conference revenue. Adding Texas, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Colorado, Utah, and Kansas gives the Pac 16 control of every major market in the western U.S. Knockout punch delivered.

No it's not. Tech and OSU are similarly situated to several schools already enjoying membership in the Pac 10. The Oregon schools and Washington State come to mind. I don't get all the hate for Tech in this forum.

I expect Texas to go to the Pac-10 because that's where the most money will be. I'm disappointed in them. They have turned out to be the greediest of all of the NCAA teams. They deserve Jim Delaney and the Big 10.

Texas is moving to react to actions started by Nebraska, Missouri, and Colorado. They are the schools that started the gum-flapping about new conferences.

If Troy and MTSU threatened to leave the SBC and therefore collapse it, I would want UNT to look out for #1, as well.

Chip Brown: "In a huge development, two sources close to the situation said Nebraska has been given a deadline of less than two weeks to decide its course in the Big 12.

The sources said Nebraska is seen as critical to holding the Big 12 together by the schools determined to keep the league alive, including Texas. Multiple sources close to the situation say Missouri, Colorado and Nebraska are the three schools holding up the Big 12 from moving forward as a conference. The league wrapped up meetings in Kansas City on Friday without a vow of solidarity from all its schools.

Two sources said Missouri is eagerly hoping for an invitation from the Big Ten, while Nebraska appears to be on the fence about whether to hold out for a possible Big Ten invitation or move back to the table with the nine schools who are determined to keep the Big 12 alive.

There is a belief among the majority of schools that the Big 12 could survive if it just lost Missouri, the sources said. But the sense is the Big 12 is dead if it loses both Missouri and Nebraska."

Edited by LongJim

same old same old.........

http://texastech.riv...asp?CID=1091406

Keeping the Big 12 together is beneficial to us. Not that I think we would get invited to the Big 12, but it would keep C-USA, MWC, and WAC from looking to pick over the remains of the conference. If the Big 12 stays together, the non-AQ conferences will have to look elsewhere.

Texas is moving to react to actions started by Nebraska, Missouri, and Colorado. They are the schools that started the gum-flapping about new conferences.

I guess I haven't heard this "gum-flapping" you're talking about. As far as I am aware, the recent talk about new conferences began with the rumors that Texas and the Big 10 had some interest in each other.

As far as Texas "moving to react"...why? If the Big 12 folds, the SEC, Pac 10, and the Big 10 would all be willing to snatch them up in a heartbeat. It's KU, Nebraska, etc. who need to make sure they don't get left out in the cold.

Keeping the Big 12 together is beneficial to us. Not that I think we would get invited to the Big 12, but it would keep C-USA, MWC, and WAC from looking to pick over the remains of the conference. If the Big 12 stays together, the non-AQ conferences will have to look elsewhere.

I heard a scenerio where the MWC would invite the Big12 leftovers to merge; also heard the Big12 leftovers would try to reload with trying to handpick MWC replacements along with perhaps Louisville or like programs.

And I see from the above article that politicians are now getting involved in the equation (was there ever a doubt they would?)...

"Colorado appears to be hoping for a Pac-10 invitation, but now the Buffaloes could be left out of that mix thanks to Baylor and Texas politics.

The legislative source said there is a block of 15 legislators who will work to make sure Baylor - not Colorado - is invited to the Pac-10."

Which begs the question: Who would our conference change dance partner be?

Also, who gives a crap about the Big 12 and Pac 10. How does this affect us (and in that context: me!)

Well, at least somebody here is asking the right question. Not that I didn't find that long ago road trip that included Nebraska, Kansas, and Missouri to be quite thrilling. Oh yeah, Illinois and Indiana. Kinda reminds me of a stanza from James McMurtry's "Levelland":

Makes you wonder why they stopped here

Wagon must have lost a wheel

Or they lacked ambition one

Edited by eulessismore

Nebraska, Missouri given deadline

By Kirk Bohls | Saturday, June 5, 2010, 07:55 PM

Nebraska and Missouri have been given an ultimatum by the Big 12 and told they have until this Friday to decide if they want to remain in the conference or entertain the possibility of joining the Big Ten, two highly placed officials of two Big 12 schools have told the Statesman.

The deadline was given to the pair of schools by the Big 12 presidents during the league meetings held in Kansas City this last week. “Nebraska has until 5 p.m. on Friday to tell us what they’re going to do,” one school official said, adding that he has heard it is a possibility they could extend that deadline to June 15. “The same deal for Missouri. They have to tell us they’re not going to the Big Ten or …” Or at least six Big 12 schools, including Texas, Texas A&M and Texas Tech, will be inclined to accept an invitation to join the Pac-10 Conference.

Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Colorado are the other three schools that could bolt what would be a dissolving Big 12. Nebraska and Missouri could be taking the risk that they might not be extended invitations from the Big Ten, which has said it could take up to 18 months to decide whether to expand its current membership of 11 schools.

“I’ve talked to the Pac-10,” said the Big 12 school administrator, who expected the speculation involving the Big 12 to be resolved within two weeks. There is an invitation. When it comes, it’ll come fast.” One Pac-10 athletic director told the Statesman on Saturday, “There’s still a lot that has to happen. It’s nowhere near done. At this point, we have not been presented any definite plans. Said another political figure heavily connected to Texas, “I know the war drums are beating. This is way beyond gossip.”

Comments

By Wade

June 6, 2010 10:50 AM | Link to this

“I heard when Beebe put Nebraska on the clock Nebraska looked over at the Texa$$ clock and it had 1 more second than Nebraskas clock”.

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/bohls/entries/2010/06/05/nebraska_missou.html?cxntfid=blogs_bohl_games

Edited by NT80

Well, at least somebody here is asking the right question. Not that I didn't find that long ago road trip that included Nebraska, Kansas, and Missouri to be quite thrilling. Oh yeah, Illinois and Indiana. Kinda reminds me of a stanza from James McMurtry's "Levelland":

Makes you wonder why they stopped here

Wagon must have lost a wheel

Or they lacked ambition one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jGwaJNpJO0

I guess I haven't heard this "gum-flapping" you're talking about. As far as I am aware, the recent talk about new conferences began with the rumors that Texas and the Big 10 had some interest in each other.

The Big 10 has interest in Texas--no question. However, Texas has said repeatedly that it does not want to be the southern outlier in an expanded Big 10, without travel partners--most likely including aTm, and Tech--hence the "tech problem" quote. Texas would much rather keep the Big 12 as is. Why stop a good thing they have going? Missouri and Nebraska have been the teams who have voiced eagerness to move to the Big 10.

As far as Texas "moving to react"...why? If the Big 12 folds, the SEC, Pac 10, and the Big 10 would all be willing to snatch them up in a heartbeat. It's KU, Nebraska, etc. who need to make sure they don't get left out in the cold.

As has been stated before--if Missouri leaves the Big 12, the league can probably survive. If Nebraska leaves the league will probably fold. Texas knows it can choose it's destiny, but it does not want to go without natural and traditional rivals to any league. Texas, with it's PAC 10 alleged offer, was the meat behind Dodds' "We didn't start this, but we will finish it." comment. They are calling what they see as Nebraska's hand, and telling them to sh*t or git.

Edited by LongJim

From one of my in-laws who is a Baylor graduate.

Sic 'em, Baylor nation: BU and the Big 12 Conference

Posted by The Baylor Proud Team in Alumni, Athletics

You may have seen national media reports this week regarding the possible realignment of the Big 12 Conference, of which Baylor has been a part since the league's formation in 1996. As new Baylor President Ken Starr reported in his message Friday, he and Director of Athletics Ian McCaw are working tirelessly on Baylor's behalf to help keep the Big 12 together.

Reportedly, the Pac-10 Conference has been preparing to invite six Big 12 members to join a proposed 16-team megaconference. Initial news reports said Baylor was not among those who would be invited, leaving our beloved Baylor to fend for itself, either staying in a much reduced version of the Big 12 or looking to find a lesser conference partnership elsewhere. A new report late Saturday, however, indicated that Baylor's stock is rapidly rising (a report subsequently carried by ESPN, the Dallas Morning News, Waco Tribune-Herald and many others). While all this is speculative at this point, Baylor has made it clear that its desire -- rooted in the best interests of both the university and the great state of Texas -- is that the Lone Star state schools of the Big 12 should stick together.

Baylor's strong preference is to keep the Big 12 Conference intact. But what's most important is that Baylor retains its deserved place among the nation's elite athletic conferences, along with its fellow Texas institutions. As we've all witnessed, visibility in athletics is great for Baylor, thanks to the impact it has on national name recognition and reputation for our alma mater. But it is also good for Texas, in terms of the economic impact that a strong quartet of athletic powerhouses such as the University of Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech and Baylor can have on the state in terms of dollars, jobs and student recruitment. And, of course, there's the pride that we feel both as alumni and as Texans when our programs dominate the athletic landscape as they did during the recent basketball season.

If you're as proud of Baylor as I am, there may be something you can do to help. Tell your friends about Baylor's successes and its importance in the Big 12; share your green and gold pride whenever you have the opportunity. The Texas legislature may have some say in what happens; think about letting your elected officials know how important it is to keep the Big 12 together and the Texas schools of the Big 12 a cohesive unit -- not only for Baylor, but for fans across Texas.

As the Dallas Morning News noted this morning, Baylor student-athletes have excelled in the Big 12, helping lead the conference both athletically and academically. Here are just a few examples of Baylor's success:

Over the last seven years, only Texas and Texas A&M have won more Big 12 titles than Baylor.

In 2009-10, Baylor set a school record for the second year in a row as 15 of the school's 18 varsity teams played in the postseason.

Academically, Baylor student-athletes have led the conference in graduation rate five times and finished second three times in the Big 12's 14 seasons, earning special recognition from the NCAA in three of the past five seasons.

As Judge Starr noted in his letter, Baylor ranks fourth among Big 12 schools in the latest U.S. News rankings.

Baylor nation, let's take this cause as our own. Fight with all your might, you Bruins bold, and let's win this victory for the green and gold!

Sic 'em, Baylor family!

• Downvote 2