Pac-10 To Offer Invites To 6 Big-12 Schools

UNTflyer

you get my point though, right? why not be pro-active?

Because most of the schools that would be attractive to the Big XII's footprint have contracts that are worth more elsewhere. I mean I guess they could shoot for the sky and ask USC or Florida or something, but that won't happen either.

you get my point though, right? why not be pro-active?

I understand. I think the problem is now the Big 12 is in defensive mode with attacks coming from all sides. Big 10(11), Pac 10 and SEC and all coming at them with the MWC waiting to pick over the carcass. Who would want to join a conference under attack till the attack is over? That's why they can't be pro-active.

I'm really sick of the chip-on-the-shoulder Tech fan. DMN writer, Chuck Carlton, blogs about the question the shunned Big XII members are all asking themselves this morning -

Why Tech got the nod ahead of Kansas, Baylor

He even adds this comment, "(Don't take offense, Red Raider fans. It's a fair question)."

Still, the Tech fans fail to understand why their invite is even being questioned and cite absurd claims about Lubbock being the "second largest city in the Big XII" as legitimate rationale as to why they were chosen over Kansas. Tech has been riding the coattails of Texas and A&M for far too long now and they are just too damn ignorant to realize it. I wish nothing but failure for Texas Tech and hope the new conference alignment, if it materializes, brings them several winless conference records (they'll continue to fill their non-conference schedule with FCS teams, so a winless season is pretty much out of the question.) I think it would be awesome if Tech became the same thing to the Pac 16 as Baylor was to the Big XII. Lubbock is a wasteland that even Mad Max would find intolerable.

• Upvote 1

As someone who has worked in the advertising industry for 15+ years, I have to quietly smile/laugh to myself every time I see conference officials mention TV markets as a selling point and revenue-generating entity. Sure, the rationale is valid today. However, it may not be for much longer - at least not in the same sense it is today. DMA (designated marketing area) is a term created by Nielsen to define areas for media measurement. While Nielsen continues to update and upgrade their methodology and technology, it still exists much in the same manner as it did some 60 years ago, when the media environment was drastically different than it is today.

Nielsen has no issues justifying it's meager ratings system, which oftentimes reflects less than 5% of DMA's population, and thus far advertisers/marketers continue to accept this increasingly antiquated form of measurement. Poor Nielsen ratings result in TV programs being canceled after only a few episodes. Unrealistic expectations of prime time ratings comparable to 20, 15, even 10 years ago still exist amongst many advertisers and marketers. The reality is that the way Americans choose to consume their media has evolved in such a way that Nielsen's smoke and mirrors measurement system is slowly being exposed.

Still, Nielsen is the most trusted and respected name in media measurement and, has been the behemoth for so long that they have been able to fight off most competitors in the media measurement war. However, Nielsen is currently in debt by an amount of $8.6 billion dollars and has made the decision to try to reduce that debt by going public. Just yesterday, Nielsen announced its intentions to raise as much as $1.75 billion in an initial public offering, in a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission. I, for one, will not be purchasing any Nielsen stock. Fitch is considering a one-notch upgraded on Nielsen's IPO announcement but, currently, Fitch rates Nielsen at B, which is five notches into junk territory. I believe their TV ratings system is a grossly inaccurate and irrelevant means to measure the effectiveness of advertising and I am not alone in that opinion. As more accurate and detailed results are being reflected in interactive advertising, the Nielsen ratings are becoming more of an inside joke in the advertising/media planning world. I predict it won't be much longer before marketers realize just how much they've been overpaying for TV advertising these last 5-10 years.

So, to see the emphasis placed on the value of TV markets mentioned in every conference realignment discussion always makes me cringe a little.

I happen to work in a division of Nielsen gangrene. B)

(Not our famous TV rating divison, but a department that does research for the film studios regarding their marketing campaigns - in fact my division was purchased by the big N about a decade ago)

Because of the sheer amount of research the company does do, I suspect we're not a total junk investment. But the thing we are the most famous for (even though it's not done in the building I work in and we have 5 floors) does seem to be in trouble reading the trade magazines and such.

Hell, who knows - we could be sold off from Nielsen anytime. The company already did that with our boxoffice tabulators a few months back

Edited by CMJ

Pac-10 commissioner Larry Scott released this statement Thursday night:

“We are aware of a story filed today by an Orangebloods.com columnist, speculating about possible expansion plans for the Pac-10 Conference. While many interesting scenarios have been suggested in numerous news reports, around the country, we remain focused on a thorough evaluation process that examines all of the options for increasing the value of the conference for our member institutions, our student athletes and our fans. We have not developed any definitive plans. We have not extended any invitations for expansion and we do not anticipate any such decisions in the near term.”

Note that Larry Scott never says the article is wrong.

I think the problem is now the Big 12 is in defensive mode with attacks coming from all sides. Big 10(11), Pac 10 and SEC and all coming at them with the MWC waiting to pick over the carcass. Who would want to join a conference under attack till the attack is over? That's why they can't be pro-active.

Yes, the Big12 started the week with rah-rah sessions trying to say all members were "on the bus together" and ending with "no comment" on the Pac10 offers. They are soon to be roadkill! :rolleyes:

While everyone was waiting for the Big10 to make the first moves the PAC10 said heck with that and fired the first shot themselves. Now, the SEC is in hurry-up mode to put together a package offer as they too had their eyes on OU, uT, A$M et al.

Meanwhile back in Denton, we sit watching the horizon glow with expansion wars and wonder what is to become of us? Will we still be held captive by the SBC, hiding in the basement? Or will someone come by and free us to higher ground?? :) Please!

Big XII Commish news conference

http://gazetteonline.com/blogs/docs-office/2010/06/04/quick-hits-from-big-12-commissioner-news-conference

He said contingency plans are in place in case schools leave and said its a critical time period for the conference.

Big 12 Chairman of the Board of Directors William Powers was supposed to accompany Beebe in the news conference but did not. Beebe said Powers had a plane to catch.

Edited by MeanGreen61

Big XII Commish news conference

http://gazetteonline.com/blogs/docs-office/2010/06/04/quick-hits-from-big-12-commissioner-news-conference

He said contingency plans are in place in case schools leave and said “it’s a critical time period” for the conference.

Big 12 Chairman of the Board of Directors William Powers was supposed to accompany Beebe in the news conference but did not. Beebe said Powers had a plane to catch.

The Big?12 Commish may soon be out of a job. I also look at what he didn't say. He too didn't say the story was wrong.

Baylor and Iowa State fans must be in panic-mode today. Their gravy-train is about to leave without them!

Note that Larry Scott never says the article is wrong.

Not in those words, but he does say

"We have not extended any invitations for expansion and we do not anticipate any such decisions in the near term.”

Does that not contradict what Chip Brown wrote in his article?

it appears the Pac-10, which has its meetings in San Francisco starting this weekend, is prepared to make a bold move and invite Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Colorado to join its league, according to multiple sources close to the situation

Larry Scott did not say they would not be inviting those teams, but he claims the decision has not been made and would not likely be made in the near future to invite them. He may be lying, but he definitely insinuated that the article was incorrect.

why doesn't the big xii go after some schools itself? arkansas, tcu, arizona and asu would make 16 for the big xii. those are random schools by the way, just trying to make a point.

If the Pac-10 takes six and the Big 10 takes one or two, they are under six members. They lose the autobids and the basketball money is divided among the schools that earned it rather than the league. The full Big XII doesn't earn enough money to get Arkansas, a crippled Big XII certainly wouldn't.

As someone who has worked in the advertising industry for 15+ years, I have to quietly smile/laugh to myself every time I see conference officials mention TV markets as a selling point and revenue-generating entity. Sure, the rationale is valid today. However, it may not be for much longer - at least not in the same sense it is today. DMA (designated marketing area) is a term created by Nielsen to define areas for media measurement. While Nielsen continues to update and upgrade their methodology and technology, it still exists much in the same manner as it did some 60 years ago, when the media environment was drastically different than it is today.

Nielsen has no issues justifying it's meager ratings system, which oftentimes reflects less than 5% of DMA's population, and thus far advertisers/marketers continue to accept this increasingly antiquated form of measurement. Poor Nielsen ratings result in TV programs being canceled after only a few episodes. Unrealistic expectations of prime time ratings comparable to 20, 15, even 10 years ago still exist amongst many advertisers and marketers. The reality is that the way Americans choose to consume their media has evolved in such a way that Nielsen's smoke and mirrors measurement system is slowly being exposed.

Still, Nielsen is the most trusted and respected name in media measurement and, has been the behemoth for so long that they have been able to fight off most competitors in the media measurement war. However, Nielsen is currently in debt by an amount of $8.6 billion dollars and has made the decision to try to reduce that debt by going public. Just yesterday, Nielsen announced its intentions to raise as much as $1.75 billion in an initial public offering, in a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission. I, for one, will not be purchasing any Nielsen stock. Fitch is considering a one-notch upgraded on Nielsen's IPO announcement but, currently, Fitch rates Nielsen at B, which is five notches into junk territory. I believe their TV ratings system is a grossly inaccurate and irrelevant means to measure the effectiveness of advertising and I am not alone in that opinion. As more accurate and detailed results are being reflected in interactive advertising, the Nielsen ratings are becoming more of an inside joke in the advertising/media planning world. I predict it won't be much longer before marketers realize just how much they've been overpaying for TV advertising these last 5-10 years.

So, to see the emphasis placed on the value of TV markets mentioned in every conference realignment discussion always makes me cringe a little.

Look a Nebraska. If you look at DMA's no way the Big 10 wants them. But the Big 10 understands that people in Chicago, LA, NY, and Miami who are football fans are likely to watch Nebraska if the game is available.

Not in those words, but he does say

Does that not contradict what Chip Brown wrote in his article?

Larry Scott did not say they would not be inviting those teams, but he claims the decision has not been made and would not likely be made in the near future to invite them. He may be lying, but he definitely insinuated that the article was incorrect.

Another article says PAC10 invites are expected today., thus the "we do not anticipate any such decisions in the near term" quote yesterday was for yesterday only. Commish-speak for I'm not going to confirm it.

Baylor and Iowa State fans must be in panic-mode today. Their gravy-train is about to leave without them!

Baylor fans should be on suicide-watch.

Examples:

cyberbear

Baylor fan Join Date: Oct 2002

Baylor reportedly in early negotiations to join SEC

just sayin'.. if others can post crap on school message boards and have it reported as news, then so can we. Besides, who can dispute it?

Or

booray17

I just hope those UTSA games are not conference match-ups.

http://www.baylorfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6

Edited by NT80

With technology today, I see no reason why TV ratings can't be collected anonymously and accurately from half of America's DirecTV, TiVO, or FIOS receivers.

They can be. Remember, the famous Janet Jackson Super Bowl "wardrobe malfunction" was reported by TiVo as being the most re-watched event in history at that point in time. The technology is there. Why it's not being fully utilized is anyone's guess. Aside from political/contractual obligations, my guess is that real numbers will reflect a significant decline in viewership and the house of cards will come crashing down.

I happen to work in a division of Nielsen gangrene. B)

Sorry CMJ, nothing personal. It could be much worse, you could work in the dying newspaper industry! :D I know Nielsen does much, much more in the industry than just TV ratings, but that's really my main beef with Nielsen. I don't wish any ill will towards Nielsen (I'm sure Nielsen's demise would have adverse repercussions for me as well) but I do realize that the fall of the TV ratings house of cards is all but inevitable.

Pac-10 plus Big 12 equals smoke but no fire - LA Times

Gotta love this sarcasm:

If you believe swirling reports, that 2014 Rose Bowl featuring Pacific 10 Conference champion Texas Tech versus Big Ten Conference champion Missouri on Channel 206 could really be something.

Advertisers, you know, drool over the television markets in Lubbock and Columbia.