Boise Mwc Invite May Come On Monday

It will be interesting to see what the WAC's response will be. Could they look towards UNT to fill a vacancy? They have limited options as far as immediate replacements since the move-up restriction is still in place for 1-AAs.

Edited by NT80

I guess that's what happens when you take risks in a program. I am sure that Boise didn't want to join the WAC at the time but figured it was a stepping stone (from the Big West) and now their chance has come to keep stepping up. They could have just waited in the Big West and hoped for it to get better like us.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I guess that's what happens when you take risks in a program. I am sure that Boise didn't want to join the WAC at the time but figured it was a stepping stone (from the Big West) and now their chance has come to keep stepping up. They could have just waited in the Big West and hoped for it to get better like us.

Of course the WAC makes sense to Boise from a geographical standpoint, as did the Big West, while neither make sense for North Texas without some sort of eastern division.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

The MWC is a good conference. Unbelievable what their schools are doing on the football field: BCS bowls, beating BCS schools, etc. Boise State will make a good addition. Would love to see them face TCU, BYU, and Utah year in and year out.

You wonder what might have been when you realize their commissioner was commissioner of the Sun Belt. Not necessarily knocking the Belt's current commissioner. Just saying the MWC has come a long way competitively in a short period of time.

The Big West dropped football in 2000, so they had to leave. There was no waiting for anything.

Nevada, New Mexico State, and North Texas left the Big West in 2000 with Boise State and Arkansas State leaving in 2001. Utah State left the Big West in 2005 to join Sun Belt as a full member. I don't recall Idaho ever being a full member of the Sun Belt, so when Idaho left the Sun Belt as a football member, it appears they joined the WAC as a full member.

If you look at the current membership of the WAC, many of those teams were once members of the Big West. To say that Boise "moved up" to a better conference by joining the WAC is a little misleading. BSU is currently playing a lot of teams they played when they joined the Big West in 1996 (Utah State, New Mexico State, Idaho, Nevada).

Finally, if there is one thing that has remained constant with the WAC, it is that members are always looking for a way out. It seems odd that some of the Mean Green faithful are clamoring to get in a conference everyone seems to want to get out of.

As others have stated -- you have no clue what you're talking about. Boise State was thrilled to be able to get into the WAC, and from a geographic standpoint, was the best possible option they had at the time.
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Of course the WAC makes sense to Boise from a geographical standpoint, as did the Big West, while neither make sense for North Texas without some sort of eastern division.

And looking at a map, I'm not sure who else would join the WAC. Maybe UTEP since they are the western-most C-USA team. Maybe Tulsa, if they believe the WAC would be an upgrade from C-USA. I sure would like to see the WAC expand to have an east division, but all this expansion talk has me thinking we should just take the WAC invite no matter what.

• Upvote 3

Finally, if there is one thing that has remained constant with the WAC, it is that members are always looking for a way out. It seems odd that some of the Mean Green faithful are clamoring to get in a conference everyone seems to want to get out of.

I think your argument about everyone wanting to leave the WAC could be said of the CUSA, MAC, and Sun Belt as well. Furthermore, the teams wanting to leave the WAC, CUSA, and MAC sure are not waiting for a spot to open up in the Sun Belt and I would say that 100% of the teams in the sun belt would leave for the CUSA in a heartbeat. Based on that logic alone I would say we need to get the heck out of here.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

As others have stated -- you have no clue what you're talking about. Boise State was thrilled to be able to get into the WAC, and from a geographic standpoint, was the best possible option they had at the time.

Thanks for re-posting the exact same thing another poster did. As others have stated...your posts are worthless.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

Thanks for re-posting the exact same thing another poster did. As others have stated...your posts are worthless.

Well, you go around posting the same stuff so often, I feel that it's only fair that you similarly have to read the same points ad naseum.

Never been told before that my posts are worthless, but thanks for playing!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

And looking at a map, I'm not sure who else would join the WAC. Maybe UTEP since they are the western-most C-USA team. Maybe Tulsa, if they believe the WAC would be an upgrade from C-USA. I sure would like to see the WAC expand to have an east division, but all this expansion talk has me thinking we should just take the WAC invite no matter what.

I agree. If there is no invite from C-USA, we need to go to the WAC.

When looking at national rankings for teams, recruiting, budgets, and academics, the WAC is ahead of the Sun Belt. Yes they play late games, but that should mean more opportunities to play on T.V. Even without Boise, I think they are a better option then staying in the Belt.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I think your argument about everyone wanting to leave the WAC could be said of the CUSA, MAC, and Sun Belt as well. Furthermore, the teams wanting to leave the WAC, CUSA, and MAC sure are not waiting for a spot to open up in the Sun Belt and I would say that 100% of the teams in the sun belt would leave for the CUSA in a heartbeat. Based on that logic alone I would say we need to get the heck out of here.

I don't know where the logic train fell off the track here, but no one is waiting for WAC spots to open either.

Based on your logic, since everyone wants into CUSA, UNT should bolt for the WAC at first opportunity? That makes absolutely no sense.

The WAC without regional opponents would be the worst possible scenario for UNT.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

No, I can think of far worse scenarios.

The WAC is the worst case scenario. We can do no worse. For the past several years, there has been a standing open invite from the WAC for UNT. If they offer, we don't have to accept immediately. I see no reason why there won't continue to be an open invite from the WAC.

Call it the backup plan if all else fails.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The WAC is the worst case scenario. We can do no worse. For the past several years, there has been a standing open invite from the WAC for UNT. If they offer, we don't have to accept immediately. I see no reason why there won't continue to be an open invite from the WAC.

Call it the backup plan if all else fails.

I disagree. We could simply be left out of all expansion scenarios and end up staying in a Sun Belt conference that is begging the NCAA to lift the moratorium so we could pick up minor universities. Even worse, we could end up dropping down to I-AA.

IMHO joining the WAC, a conference that has been around for almost 50 years, is far from the worst scenario.

• Upvote 4

I disagree. We could simply be left out of all expansion scenarios and end up staying in a Sun Belt conference that is begging the NCAA to lift the moratorium so we could pick up minor universities. Even worse, we could end up dropping down to I-AA.

IMHO joining the WAC, a conference that has been around for almost 50 years, is far from the worst scenario.

Agree to disagree then. I highly doubt we would be left out of all expansion scenarios. Haven't heard of the Sun Belt petitioning to have the moratorium lifted. We will not drop down to 1-AA even if all other options have been exhausted.

Haven't heard of the Sun Belt petitioning to have the moratorium lifted. We will not drop down to 1-AA even if all other options have been exhausted.

The Sunbelt has not begged the NCAA to lift the moratorium. If the moratorium is lifted, the only school the Belt actively wants to see move up is USA which started its move up before the moratorium was instituted. Last I read, the NCAA council was leaning to delaying or maybe denying moves up from FCS by any school that didn't start before the moratorium was in place.