Hall Of Fame Thoughts

Harry

I can't seem to find the past all sun belt teams but would Hall be on any of them? I think to be in the HOF you probably should've been thought of as the best at your position in the conference, right? Booger/PC both were that.

2003 and 2004

2009 North Texas Football Fact And Records Book -

Pages 34 & 35 list All Conference Selections

• Upvote 2

He most certainly deserved those selections as well.

However, Booger and Cobbs were SBC Players of the Year. Jamario was too, but I wouldn't say he's HOF worthy either.

Lets see Thomas led the nation and had the best year of any running back in NT history but he is not NT HOF worthy? Have you bothered to look at the athletes already in there?

Thomas, Kennedy, Hall, Cobbs and Brewster will all probably be inducted at some point, but for my money no one should go in till they honor the late Walter Chapman. Sorry, that is my usual rant when HOF discussions happen. He was arguably the best player on the Fry team's and dominated a game from the interior line like Greene and Kennedy. Once had 22 tackles from the nose position, and had stats that were much better than Kennedy.

Loved Scott and expect him to be in the HOF someday. But I don't think he's a first ballot selection. Kennedy, in particular, needs to be in now.

I guess you could say a HOFer is a HOFer no matter what the ballot but there are certainly other players from that era that i think of first. As for him being the best qb since 83? Not sure what to say to that.....

"...Kenny Lyons? Never heard of him. But hell, I saw Chris Davis play. So there's no way Kenny Lyons was as good as Chris Davis....."

/Firefight'd

Where is Rick anyway? Smart enough to stay far away this time of year?

Rick,s mom is being treated for cancer.

I have ZERO problem with the HOF being loaded up with players from those championship teams. None. In the frame of our football history, that group is beyond worthy....a reasonable case could be made for every player mentioned in this thread.

Not saying they should all go in, but to "cap" the number of players from one era doesn't make sense to me.

• Upvote 3

I guess you could say a HOFer is a HOFer no matter what the ballot but there are certainly other players from that era that i think of first. As for him being the best qb since 83? Not sure what to say to that.....

Who would be better?

Does anyone know who comprises the selection committee?

As the one who comprises the selection committee... I have heard your opinions and will say that I have chosen Scott Hall to be in the Hall Of Fame!

He deserves it. So does Cobbs, Brewster, and Booger.

I think Mitch should be there as well but goodness Scott had four conference championships has any other quarterback at North Texas accomplished this? The guy was a winner on and off the field and I just hope the committee responsible for selecting gives him their consideration. Are there others deserving hell yes, Booger for one and Patty as well. That 4 year run has many deserving candidates including dare I say D D even though I realize that isn't politically correct.

I agree...Dickey at some point should get consideration...He had one of the most successful runs in our history. Without DD...what would expectations be today??? Not this ballot, bit eventually he should get some looks

Really? With a career sub .500 record?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Lifer you make a point, however I would be interested to know what his record looked like if you pulled BCS road games out of it. Dickey faced some brutal money game schedules as did Simon before him.

Lifer you make a point, however I would be interested to know what his record looked like if you pulled BCS road games out of it. Dickey faced some brutal money game schedules as did Simon before him.

I know, and I am actually split on Dickey. Honestly, the way he left things, I don't ever think you would seem him inducted while on RV's watch. Just looking to the future, what if RV decides to finish his career at NT, would DD be relevant to the person that follows RV? I think the further we get away from the Dickey years, the less people will be impressed. Just my opinion, but he parlayed one excellent recruiting class into the historic run and didn't capitalize on it which I think tarnishes his reputation.

I would be very disappointed if Dickey came anywhere close to the NT Hall of Fame. I give him all the credit for an incredible run in the Belt but character has to be a factor when selecting a coach to the HOF. Even if you disregard the pitiful antics after he was terminated, DD was all about DD. He continued throughout his career to berate his situation at NT, I guess to elevate his achievements despite the poor circumstances at NT. Even though there was more than just a grain of truth in his comments, it didn't do anyone any good to continually be reminded that NT athletics had issues. It is no wonder that recruiting against any other school became increasingly difficult when the HC continually bemoaned the situation at NT. It also didn't help that IMO after a couple of bowl appearances that Dickey appears much more interested in getting a job upgrade than growing or even maintaining the program. Yes, DD had success at NT and build a great Belt program but you can't disregard that he also was responsible for the dismantlement of that program.

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Rick,s mom is being treated for cancer.

Thanks, Deep. Not sure what the going rate is for ones that come from me, but thoughts and prayers to him and his family.

Did Hall ever lead a team to a bowl victory? A win over a team we weren't supposed to beat?

I'm not trying to hate on the guy because I loved the intangibles he had as a leader and winner. But the teams that won during the Dickey era did so with great defense and an awesome running attack. I'm serious when I say that I believe Nathan Tune could've led one of those teams to a Sunbelt title.