Hypothetical : If We Start Out 0 - 3 Do We Fire Dodge

NT03

So your in favor of lameduckin' it through the rest of the season after an 0-3 start? eek.

Either way (immediate firing, or post-season firing), you're more than likely lame-ducking through the rest of the season after an 0-3 start. Keep him on through the rest of the season and see if maybe something clicks?

So your in favor of lameduckin' it through the rest of the season after an 0-3 start? eek.

You keep saying that an 0-3 start means he's a lame duck. The popular thought is that Todd has to win 6...maybe 7 games to save his job. How does 0-3 at the start make him a lame duck?

You keep saying that an 0-3 start means he's a lame duck. The popular thought is that Todd has to win 6...maybe 7 games to save his job. How does 0-3 at the start make him a lame duck?

Well I'm assuming he won't be able to rally the troops through such a start, thus making him on the path to getting fired is all.

• Downvote 1

The time to evaluate the season is at the end of the season. In 2001 we got off to a miserable start. After the La-Monroe game I had pretty much given up hope for the season. I came very close to mailing back my tickets for the rest of the home games. One week later we upset Middle Tennessee and started our run to New Orleans. I was sure glad that I did not mail back those tickets. I do not think Todd Dodge can get it done but he deserves the entire season to show what he can do.

• Upvote 2

I know the world that is going to hell in a hand-basket, but a man's word should still be worth something. R.V. said .500, and 3 games is not half of the season. I'm sorry, but I can't get on board with this one.

If there is a change, then all the coaches go. As for Deloach, why do you want a coach who does not want to nor go on the road to recruit? He does his part in the recruiting process when the recruits visit the campus. Why Chico? He has not been a head coach on this level.

If you want change, then you change everything. Everybody on the coaching staff gets the pink slip, including Deloach and Chico. You step up and pay (sorry, money does make difference)and pay for a proven head coach at this level. And I do not see how letting Dodge go at 0-3, when we have not even got into conference play, makes any sense. Nobody except us green bleeding fans on this board have any expectations of us not being 0-3 at that point. It shouldn't be that way, but it is.

The current definition of "season" is 12 games. We have brought TD back for a fourth season and owe the man the opportunity to coach this team of good young men to 7 wins during the "season".

To put it another way, I'm staying for the WHOLE Mass...no ducking out the side door after communion for me!

• Upvote 1

it would take 7 or 8 losses before they let dodge go. i would rather start over with a proven head coach than another assistant learning on the job.

But the Assistant is not from Southlake, so might be worth a shot.

I think we should treat all coaches at NT the same. Dodge should get the same treatment Coach Jones receives during the basketball season. If we don't come out and score 35 points in the first quarter against Clemson @ Clemson, then Dodge should be shot on the spot, tied to the top of the team bus (ala Aunt Edna of "Vacation" fame) and thrown in to the Mississippi River on the team's trip home.

• Upvote 4

I know the world that is going to hell in a hand-basket, but a man's word should still be worth something. R.V. said .500, and 3 games is not half of the season. I'm sorry, but I can't get on board with this one.

Actually RV specifically said 6-6 is not his idea of progress. I agree completely. This "if we win 6 we should keep him" crap is ludicrous. Next we'll be accepting 5 wins and a couple moral victories. Apparently the bar is so low based on the last few seasons that "progress" has lost its meaning. If I went to work and beat every motorist, then started beating only half of them...ta da!!!! Progress!!!

• Upvote 1

Yeah. I said before that we have got to honor our word. In this case, I would accept the argument that he has displayed egregious fail and we can pretty much see the end of the movie without having to wait for the credits to roll.

With all that said, I hope the dude gets a 3-0 start in which case we can all laugh at our sour predictions.

But I see it as a case of a 3-0 start probably bringing on a sense of 'here we go again' vs hope with a new guy calling the shots.

I doubt anyone would think that we were not giving the guy a reasonable shot if he started his fourth season with 3 bad losses (which would seal it for me-- 3 close ones I am not so solidly pro 'fire')

I suppose I am saying that I don't have a problem with doing either, though if it were totally up to me I would can him at 3 L's .

Edited by aztecskin

Funny, how do you think the kids at TU, OU, and the other big schools feel when they get ripped for losing 2 games in a season. Maybe we just don't want to be on their level. As long as we are talking about on the field performance and all things football related, I don't think players or their parents are going to get upset. The line gets crossed when the comments get personal.

I feel for NT03 (which I never thought would happen). All the poor guy is trying to do is start a little off-season conversation about a very distinct possibilty.

What if all 3 losses are by more than 2 scores? Does that change anyone's mind?

I personally hope we go 12-0 and win the national title and Coach Dodge wins Coach of the Year. But, if we start 0-4, it's time for the change to be made.

Feel free to return to the sooooo interesting conference realignment speculation.

Edited by UNT90

Funny, how do you think the kids at TU, OU, and the other big schools feel when they get ripped for losing 2 games in a season. Maybe we just don't want to be on their level. As long as we are talking about on the field performance and all things football related, I don't think players or their parents are going to get upset. The line gets crossed when the comments get personal.

I feel for NT03 (which I never thought would happen). All the poor guy is trying to do is start a little off-season conversation about a very distinct possibilty.

What if all 3 losses are by more than 2 scores? Does that change anyone's mind?

I personally hope we go 12-0 and win the national title and Coach Dodge wins Coach of the Year. But, if we start 0-4, it's time for the change to be made.

Feel free to return to the sooooo interesting conference realignment speculation.

Sometimes we aren't even on the same book , but other times we are on the exact same pagewink.gif

1. If we have a losing season, I want RV to clean house and give pink slips to ALL of the coaches. Wipe the slate clean.

2. No more excuses, no more 'we're making progress', just NO MORE. It's time to produce or hit the road.

3. Don't be concerned about losing recruits, if we have another bad season we wouldn't pull that well anyhow.

3. If SMU can find a coach that can turn their horrible program into a winner quickly, so can we. SMU went 1-11 the year before Jones was hired. 1-11 in his first year and TO A BOWL GAME in his 2nd year. It can be done.

4. Don't get me started on our conference situation.

5. Our new stadium will be a reality soon. I want a winning team playing there in 2011 or a new coaching staff to match our new stadium.

Edited by MeanGreen61
  • Upvote 1

Well I'm assuming he won't be able to rally the troops through such a start, thus making him on the path to getting fired is all.

After we beat Ball State 20-10 on the road to open last season some wanted to extend the contract on the spot. The season needs to be completed to review it as a whole.

After we beat Ball State 20-10 on the road to open last season some wanted to extend the contract on the spot. The season needs to be completed to review it as a whole.

Should we hang with Clemson you may see a similar reaction this year.

Edited by GreenStreet

This thread = desperation for forum content.

Except for Auburn with Tony Franklin, even assistants aren't fired 3 games into the season.

Under these criteria, it would have been hard to justify keeping Dickey for the second half of the 2001 season. Of course, he had beaten then 1-AA Boise State twice by then. I did love the win over Texas Tech, but New Mexico State was pretty bad the two times we beat them.

Considering the level of competition he was playing against at Louisville (buy hey, he owned Western Kentucky), Schnellenberger should have been ripe for firing by the 3rd game of his 4th year, instead of hanging around to go 8-3 and setting Louisville on the right path.

I mean, Schnelly's only multiple wins against anyone recognizable as D1 in those years were against Tulane; the second one of those was in Mack Brown's 3rd season, when he finally went 6-6, after starting out 1-10 and 4-7.

My prediction: this thread may be interesting by the 3rd game of next season. In the meantime, I'm dreaming about Thompson or Tune throwing the long one downfield, when Dunbar isn't running free in the opposing secondary. At this time of year, a man can dream big.

Edited by eulessismore
  • Upvote 1

My prediction: this thread may be interesting by the 3rd game of next season. In the meantime, I'm dreaming about Thompson or Tune throwing the long one downfield, when Dunbar isn't running free in the opposing secondary. At this time of year, a man can dream big. And yes, Schnelly and Dickey did have more cred back then than Dodge does now, but it's all about what have you done for me and lately.

Uh.... and that would be?

Just a strange way to end your topic.

Stick by the supposed 7 win ultimatum. As much as I hate to say it, you have to give Teflon Todd a legitimate chance to get there. As soon as the 6th loss goes down, it all becomes moot anyway and he will be a sitting duck. There's no benefit in firing him early, IMO. I'm confident he'll be canned before next season.

• Upvote 3

Uh.... and that would be?

Just a strange way to end your topic.

You're right, so I deleted that part. I guess what I was really trying to say is, the premise of this topic won't be relevant until a couple of games into next season. Right now, the topic just seems like a strange way to get your cheerios wet.

1. If we have a losing season, I want RV to clean house and give pink slips to ALL of the coaches. Wipe the slate clean.

2. No more excuses, no more 'we're making progress', just NO MORE. It's time to produce or hit the road.

3. Don't be concerned about losing recruits, if we have another bad season we wouldn't pull that well anyhow.

3. If SMU can find a coach that can turn their horrible program into a winner quickly, so can we. SMU went 1-11 the year before Jones was hired. 1-11 in his first year and TO A BOWL GAME in his 2nd year. It can be done.

5. Our new stadium will be a reality soon. I want a winning team playing there in 2011 or a new coaching staff to match our new stadium.

I don't agree about all of the coaches. There are at least a couple of the assistants that have some college skins on the wall (to borrow a Vitoism).

IF Dodge gets canned let the incoming coach decide who he wants on his staff, including whether he keeps any of the current assistants.

I'm not sure firing everyone is a good idea...but the axe starts at the top...TD and if he has lost his first 3 games...to army and rice!...then he isn't the guy for NT....personally I thought he should have been fired last year...but maybe all of the changes will help NT win this year...RD not being at QB is a start...TD not calling the plays is another...anyway, if we are down 0-3 then we have waisted money on this guy and he needs to go...no reason to keep him around...and I like the guy!

So much of this is a culture issue...changing the way NT looks at NT....our feelings about were we belong, what our status is in college football, etc....and friends, it is not good...we have to change this to play with the big boys...we need to eveyone who is a student at UNT to bleed green....support traditions, show up at games, etc. The attitudes at UNT need to change....I think the stadium is going to be a real game changer for UNT,

And SMU is also paying JJ 2 million a year to be their HC....is NT going to dod the same?...I don't think so.

I don't agree about all of the coaches. There are at least a couple of the assistants that have some college skins on the wall (to borrow a Vitoism).

IF Dodge gets canned let the incoming coach decide who he wants on his staff, including whether he keeps any of the current assistants.

Sadly, on occasion you throw the baby out with the bathwater. Good coaches with losing programs are often casualties of change. We should open our new stadium with a winning team or a new coaching staff to erase all traces of failure and signal a new beginning.