Pony Football Causing A Stir In Dallas

With its latest surge in ticket sales, SMU is actually challenging TCU for attention in the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex, something that hasn’t happened in quite some time. This also might be the first time both teams challenge for their respective conference titles in the same season.

It's not the writer's fault, but UNT really ought to be be in that paragraph somewhere.

"We're still probably a recruiting class or half a recruiting class from really just not holding on to your rear ends with injuries," Jones told ESPN.com on signing day.

Um, I'm a little afraid to ask, but I will. What kind of football are they playing over on the hilltop? :unsure:

• Upvote 2

Um, I'm a little afraid to ask, but I will. What kind of football are they playing over on the hilltop? :unsure:

"We're still probably a recruiting class or half a recruiting class from really just not holding on to your rear ends with injuries," Jones told ESPN.com on signing day.

Sounds to me like they are playing with a team made up entirely of TE's

I like June Jones. Sucks that he works for the rich kids' team over in Big D, while widdle ol' NT picked the wrong spread guru to run the show.

Such is life.

I need some advice: how much do we officially loathe SMU n TCU? I mean, I think I've said before that I hate 'em but mostly because they are local pseudo-rivals. So lemme know, fellow faithful.

• Upvote 1

While I love nothing better than to get the best of SMU, TCU, UTA, etc., I hold no real ill-will for any of them. They are our rivals on the field and for the fan base of the Metroplex, but having strong programs in our backyard does nothing but help the Mean Green as it focuses more attention on schools in the area, gets the area more TV exposure, etc., etc. While SMU has a "not-so-kind" history of non-support for UNT in conference moves, I dare say UNT would have had the same opinion should the shoe have been on the other foot. As a UNT fan, I think it stinks. I know SMU fans who have a different opinion entirely.

All I know is that I would love to play TCU and SMU on a regular basis home & home to help build a decent rivalry and to pack the stadiums of the home team for each game. Until that time, they are pretty much a "who cares" for me...no love lost one way or the other. Frankly, I find it a bit amusing that so many UNT fans "love to hate the Ponies". Short of any real on field rivalry, I guess the "I hate the rich-kid school" will have to do for some UNT fans.

Maybe the pending conference re-alignments will get UNT into a conference where it can build some great rivalries of its own that the UNT faithful can really care about.

• Upvote 1

I'd like to beat down TCU and UTA when we play them in any sport, but I don't hate them.

...SMU, because of the direct history we have with them AND based on the fact that what little greatness they had came as a result of cheating - I hate. It has nothing to do with them being "rich". ...sayin'.

Edited by yyz28
  • Upvote 1

I'd like to beat down TCU and UTA when we play them in any sport, but I don't hate them.

...SMU, because of the direct history we have with them AND based on the fact that what little greatness they had came as a result of cheating - I hate. It has nothing to do with them being "rich". ...sayin'.

smu is the spoiled brat kid you always have hated. they deserve no respect. cheaters forever!

• Upvote 1

I guess that you just have to be older but SMU had a lot of greatness before the Dickerson/James cheating scandal.

Doak Walker was a few years ahead of me but he was a great player and a joy to watch. Ditto for Don Meredith. And Dandy certainly was no "rich kid." In fact, if you want to go back to the 30s, SMU won a national championship.

I don't like the arrogance of some (maybe a lot) of their fans but SMU's a quality university.

If the two of us could cooperate to the extent of being in the same conference it would far exceed the interest that the two of us could do separately. Even more, if TCU wasn't just as arrogant it would synergistically explode college football in this market.

• Upvote 2

I guess that you just have to be older but SMU had a lot of greatness before the Dickerson/James cheating scandal.

Doak Walker was a few years ahead of me but he was a great player and a joy to watch. Ditto for Don Meredith. And Dandy certainly was no "rich kid." In fact, if you want to go back to the 30s, SMU won a national championship.

I don't like the arrogance of some (maybe a lot) of their fans but SMU's a quality university.

If the two of us could cooperate to the extent of being in the same conference it would far exceed the interest that the two of us could do separately. Even more, if TCU wasn't just as arrogant it would synergistically explode college football in this market.

Could you please explain this arrogance you speak of. As a TCU alumnus I always root for UNT and have been extremely excited to see y'all in the tournament over the last few years. If you're talking about football scheduling, try putting yourself in our shoes. Most TCU fans don't even want to schedule smew anymore, it does us no good. Not knocking your program, but TCU is trying to build a national reputation more than a north Texas reputation (which we've achieved to it's fullest as a small private school). It would be cool to have more local games (i.e. Oregon State at Jerryworld), but at this point it doesn't fit with our goals to play UNT or smew. Again, I'm not trying to downplay your team or sound arrogant, although I'm sure it will come off like that, and look forward to watching some games at your new stadium (which looks awesome). Best of luck next season guys.

Go Frogs

Go Mean Green

• Upvote 5

Could you please explain this arrogance you speak of. As a TCU alumnus I always root for UNT and have been extremely excited to see y'all in the tournament over the last few years. If you're talking about football scheduling, try putting yourself in our shoes. Most TCU fans don't even want to schedule smew anymore, it does us no good. Not knocking your program, but TCU is trying to build a national reputation more than a north Texas reputation (which we've achieved to it's fullest as a small private school). It would be cool to have more local games (i.e. Oregon State at Jerryworld), but at this point it doesn't fit with our goals to play UNT or smew. Again, I'm not trying to downplay your team or sound arrogant, although I'm sure it will come off like that, and look forward to watching some games at your new stadium (which looks awesome). Best of luck next season guys.

Go Frogs

Go Mean Green

Have to agree with you on this one. TCU gains nothing by playing UNT in football. A good BB series would nice tho

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Go Frogs

Go Mean Green

I heard what you've written and does make sense. But, consider it this way: what does UT or UCLA or Florida have to gain by scheduling TCU? Again, a win means very little to them and a lot destroys their season. The coaches and ADs know TCU is good enough to potentially beat them so why run the risk for no reward? TCU is in a similar situation, just much higher on the food chain. How about TCU schedules a North Texas home and home every five or six years? That is what you would like Texas to do isn't it? And I have a number of TCU and SMU alumni as friends and the vast majority root for the local team in any game where their own school isn't playing just as I do.

Edited by VideoEagle
  • Upvote 1

I heard what you've written and does make sense. But, consider it this way: what does UT or UCLA or Florida have to gain by scheduling TCU? Again, a win means very little to them and a lot destroys their season. The coaches and ADs know TCU is good enough to potentially beat them so why run the risk for no reward? TCU is in a similar situation, just much higher on the food chain. How about TCU schedules a North Texas home and home every five or six years? That is what you would like Texas to do isn't it? And I have a number of TCU and SMU alumni as friends and the vast majority root for the local team in any game where their own school isn't playing just as I do.

I hear what your saying too. But, TCU is now in a place where we can schedule a Clemson, Oklahoma or Oregon State and it not hurt them too much if they lose. I don't make the schedules, I don't have any inside information I'm just giving you the general viewpoint of a TCU fan. We're both trying to get better, think bigger and look out for ourselves (which we should). For that, much respect to UNT for putting your money where your dream is.

• Upvote 1