Conference Expansion

I also heard they are trying to bring more Texas to the new stadium. (UTEP, HOUSTON, BAYLOR, TTU)

For football I'd try and host any CUSA, MWC, or WAC teams we could. Those are the ones you want to impress with a new stadium and athletic campus...in hope of positive support for any conference expansion.

Most all the sport's schedules need upgraded to try and host quality programs. Softball seems to have taken the lead as their home schedule included Arkansas, Texas Tech, Texas, and OU.

Does anyone know if RV or others at UNT are having any discussion with any conferences concerning UNT in a new or larger conference. What are our plans and how aggressive are we being concerning possible multiple conference expansion?

RV's probably got certain folks on speed-dial :)

This seems to be a tight-lipped subject with the AD and perhaps rightfully so. I have never received a reply concerning who are our friends and enemies on conference expansion.

We pretty well know who isn't a supporter. No teeam in Texas unless it's UTEP. No team in Louisiana other than perhaps the University of Louisiana at Lafayette. The only other potential allies might be Southern Mississippi and/or Tulsa. But, it's really hard to tell. It's the administrators (presidents) that decide our fate; not the (opposing) fans. Administrators seem much more fair in judging the worth of a university to a conference.

Maybe it won't hurt that our president, Lane Rawlins, has had various duties within the NCAA and might know some of the presidents of schools in the conferences that might have an interest.

Or, maybe it's like chicken soup...it can't hurt.

This seems to be a tight-lipped subject with the AD and perhaps rightfully so. I have never received a reply concerning who are our friends and enemies on conference expansion.

We pretty well know who isn't a supporter. No teeam in Texas unless it's UTEP. No team in Louisiana other than perhaps the University of Louisiana at Lafayette. The only other potential allies might be Southern Mississippi and/or Tulsa. But, it's really hard to tell. It's the administrators (presidents) that decide our fate; not the (opposing) fans. Administrators seem much more fair in judging the worth of a university to a conference.

Maybe it won't hurt that our president, Lane Rawlins, has had various duties within the NCAA and might know some of the presidents of schools in the conferences that might have an interest.

Sometimes in conference expansions it's not who you are but where you are. UNT is in a good location by being in the #5 media market. A top recruiting area also helps. Ease of access, DFW airport and a SWA city nearby is an important consideration.

UNT has a lot of assets to offer by location, unfortunately DFW is already pretty well covered by the Big12, CUSA and MWC. Only the WAC is not currently represented here...and that may be our best way out and up...as part of an Eastern WAC:

NMSU

UTEP

UNT

UTSA

La Tech

ULL

I'd personally like to see:

C-USA drop Marshall off to the MAC, drop UTEP off to the WAC. And lets say Memphis gets to the Big East

and add:

North Texas, Louisiana Tech, Middle Tennessee, and potentially one other.

THEN, you have a C-USA with:

North Texas

SMU

Houston

Rice

Tulsa

Tulane

Louisiana Tech

Middle Tennessee

Southern Miss

UAB

ECU

UCF

That'd be fun

• Upvote 1

Sometimes in conference expansions it's not who you are but where you are. UNT is in a good location by being in the #5 media market. A top recruiting area also helps. Ease of access, DFW airport and a SWA city nearby is an important consideration.

UNT has a lot of assets to offer by location, unfortunately DFW is already pretty well covered by the Big12, CUSA and MWC. Only the WAC is not currently represented here...and that may be our best way out and up...as part of an Eastern WAC:

NMSU

UTEP

UNT

UTSA

La Tech

ULL

from what i read in el paso times, utep is happy in cusa despite time zone issues. ark. state is a nice fit. should boise go to mt. west, which should/could happen in july, then wac drops to 8 schools. nt,ull,ark. state, and utep[big maybe]or utsa[big certainty] could create a tracel friendly Eastern wac division.

Why all the love for a program (UTSA) that has yet to play a down of football?

They know how to wage a PR blitz.

Me thinks that when the rubber hits the road, the Road Runners will wreck out on the first curve.

They are talking a good game, but it's very doubtful that they will put much of a dent in the San Antonio sports scene.

They know how to wage a PR blitz.

Me thinks that when the rubber hits the road, the Road Runners will wreck out on the first curve.

They are talking a good game, but it's very doubtful that they will put much of a dent in the San Antonio sports scene.

using south fla. bulls as an example, we might be surprised what they might be able to accomplish. they are the only college team in a major market. if usa can, they can as well.

From a UL Cajun fan: If the Cajuns would join another conference with only one other Sun Belt school. No doubt North Texas is my choice.

UTSA ain't USF. UTSA is the ultimate commuter school.

Commuter school card is way overplayed especially in a market as big as San Antonio. I just visited Orlando which like SA and the Spurs only has one pro team the Magic. I went to the UCF campus and toured the school and athletic facilities. I was amazed at their progress in such a short time. Great athletic facilities, students, campus, and clean fun night spots ( no dope laden old Fry St. was to be found). Look for the Big East to jump at the opportunity to land them.

• Upvote 1

that commuter school has a 60,000 seat indoor football stadium in a city of one million.

Do they ? They might have to rent from the city. Might get expensive for just a couple of thousand attendance. Alamo Stadium might be a lot better for them vs the Alamodome.

Edited by MeanGreen61

it is underserved area for spectator sports. that commuter school has a 60000 seat indoor football stadium in a city ofone million.

Maybe there is a reason the area is 'underserved'. Spurs are popular. Occasional AQ games do well. Doesn't mean UTSA will do well. Their basketball doesn't attract a lot of interest in a city that seems to like basketball. Doubt if their football would be much different after the new wore off.

Edited by MeanGreen61
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1