Big 10 Makes Offer To 4 Schools - 2 Big Xii

http://www.810whb.com/article/3527

Big Ten makes initial offer to Big 12 pair

The Big Ten Conference has extended initial offers to join the league to four universities including Missouri and Nebraska from the Big 12, according to multiple sources close to the negotiations.

Tulsa World reporting same

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/article.aspx?subjectid=234&articleid=20100510_298_0_hrimgs561257

Edited by MeanGreen61

The querstion will be who takes their place in the Big 12. I think, at minimum, Missouri bolts. Nebraska could stay. They'd really be tearing apart good, traditional ties if they left.

But, the money is so much better - even if the quality of football isn't near what the Big 12 currently puts up. Missouri has already proven that even in their best years they can't get near OU or Texas. Nebraska's almost 10 years irrelevant since their last BCS bowl bid in ... 2001? 2002?

Outside of Arkansas, who I say is going nowhere, I don't really see any fit for a new player in the Big 12. I'm talking size of the college and stadium in addition to tradition.

A loss of Missouri would be fine is Arkansas could be picked up. But, it can't. TCU is competitive now - but, it doesn't really play the best competition week in and week out. Our stadium won't be near big enough. Houston or SMU?

None of it really rings right. Too bad there can't just be a tournament like in basketball that gives everyone equal shots at bigger money. If that were the case, I'm sure conferences would make better sense geographically.

For us, we've got to just keep chopping the wood. No sense is crying over the past. We've truly got to start felling giants on the football field year in and year out. We need to be the rebel program that gives big fellas a black eye.

If we can do that over the next few years, people will take us more seriously in these discussions. From a purely "on the paper" standpoint, we should be included, but because we are uncompetitive...well.

If we were competitive and had better facilities, we'd have in favor, to wit:

-Enrollment would be bigger than all but Texas and Texas A&M

-Public school, like 11 of the current 12 Big 12 teams

-Realistic driving distance for all Big 12 South opponents

-Good proximity to DFW airport thanks to the Bush Tollway

-Another place to showcase a team in front of Texas preps

I wish like hell we were players in this conversation. We really do need to become The Little Engine That Could among schools our size. We just need that on the field success so badly to get it in gear.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It surprises me a little, if this is true, that the Big 10 is offering Nebraska. One reason Texas was flirting with the Big 10 was because of the academics of certain schools in the Big XII that UT looked down upon--and Nebraska was one of them. Nebraska would certainly be a coup for the Big 10 in other respects, but they don't seem to meet the Big 10's academic profile.

EDIT: Throw Mizzou in the Nebraska description above. The following is a post, which I believe is accurate, from the TulsaWorld story linked above:

jamesm, Tulsa (44 minutes ago)

This is big mistake for the Big Ten. I understand the financial impetus, but the Big Ten schools all have something else in common: they are all very good schools academically. They are all in the top 75 according to the widely-cited U.S. News College Rankings.

Here are their academic rankings.

Northwestern: 12

Michigan: 27

Wisconsin: 39

Illinois: 39

Penn State: 47

Ohio State: 53

Minnesota: 61

Purdue: 61

Indiana: 71

Michigan State: 71

Iowa: 71

Notre Dame is ranked no. 20 academically. Rutgers is no. 66.

Nebraska is no. 96, and Missouri is no. 102 (tied with OU).

By gaining Notre Dame and Rutgers, the level would go up in the Big Ten. By selecting Nebraska and Missouri, it would go down.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98

Kind of strange only extending four offers. It would put the conference at 15 teams. I bet they don't expect Notre Dame to accept. I think the other schools will.

This could be bad news for all those C-USA East teams. With only one Big East team getting an offer, the conference might have only one opening. I think they would be smart to expand to a least 12 and shore up that BCS auto bid.

With Missouri and Nebraska leaving, I can only see the Big 12 filling its openings with MWC teams, like BYU, Air Force, and maybe Colorado State. This could be good for us. The MWC will have to pull from the WAC and the C-USA West. I could see UTEP or Tulsa getting an invite. We might just fall into the C-USA West.

Of course by next week it will all change again.

Delaney is part genius; part mad dictator. With one fell swoop he has likely destroyed two conferences and drastically changed the landscape of the rest except for the MAC.

If this scenario is true he will no doubt get all four and likely another from the Big East. I would expect that to be Pitt or Syracuse.

Notre Dame will have to acquiesce because it would cost them $10M annually and their scheduling just became far easier than if they tried to remain an independent.

Nebraska could get more bucks for their market size than any other realignment scenario.

The key now becomes Texas and Texas A&M. They would need to add six more prestige members and they just aren't available. They could go east and join the SEC. If they did that, Oklahoma would definitely be asked and either Okie State or one of the ACC teams. Florida State or Clemson would be the most likely. I don't see them going west but it can't be ruled out at this point.

If six leave the Big 12 then I look for Colorado to go to the Pac-10. The five that are left...Iowa State, Kansas, K-State, Texas Tech and Baylor would then possibly add eleven more to also become a 16-team conference. That could make it possible that North Texas could become a member, joining TCU and western CUSA members.

The eastern half then takes Louisville, Cincinnati and the top Sun Belt members which would destroy yet another conference.

After the Pac-10 does their expansion that will force a merger of the MWC and the WAC destroying a third conference.

Worst than that, there will be some left out in the shuffle. That will force a number of independents or a drop to FCS.

It's all about money. Next we may start paying student athletes. What a way to run a railway!

Edited by GrayEagle

Proposed by Tallgrass in a CUSA thread.

RE: Send out the invites: C-USA 16

Assuming Syracuse, Rutgers, and Pitt to Big Ten and Uconn (travel partner to Boston College) and West Va (travel partner to Maryland) to ACC, I have my fingers crossed that this is the outcome. It keeps travel costs low and keep them lower by playing 6 division games and only 2 crossover games within the conference:

CUSA/West with Travel Partner:

USM/Tulane

Houston/Rice

SMU/UNT

Tulsa/UTEP

CUSA/East with Travel Partner:

Cincy/Louisville

ECU/Marshall

UCF/USF

Memphis/UAB

http://ncaabbs.com/showthread.php?tid=434515

Edited by MeanGreen61
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Honestly there is not a team in the Midwest that is worth what the Big 12 will lose if NEB/MizzU Jet. Tulsa and Houston would have a very weak following. Not to mention I have not seen a sold out crowd in awhile if ever at either. S. Miss or Memphis would be interesting, but neither school is well rounded in all sports. The former Big 12 needs to grab TCU and maybe take a risk with Colorado State or UTEP and pray they can fill a fourth of what will be lost.

http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/2010/05/10/report-big-ten-extends-four-invites/

Obviously, it's possible they have approved the invites for expansion, but no one has confirmed or commented on this. A lot of this "story" just seems like a talk radio guy trying to stir the pot.

Edited by LoveMG
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It surprises me a little, if this is true, that the Big 10 is offering Nebraska. One reason Texas was flirting with the Big 10 was because of the academics of certain schools in the Big XII that UT looked down upon--and Nebraska was one of them. Nebraska would certainly be a coup for the Big 10 in other respects, but they don't seem to meet the Big 10's academic profile.

EDIT: Throw Mizzou in the Nebraska description above. The following is a post, which I believe is accurate, from the TulsaWorld story linked above:

Isn't the Tulsa World simply reporting the blog post? Nebraska brings little to the Big 10. If they have truly been offered, they would have to be ecstatic about getting while the getting's good.

• Upvote 1

Isn't the Tulsa World simply reporting the blog post? Nebraska brings little to the Big 10. If they have truly been offered, they would have to be ecstatic about getting while the getting's good.

Well, one thing that they bring is a national following, the tenth best franchise in NCAA football and attendance of 85,000 plus. That beats the snot out of most of the Big 10 schools.

I don't know that they've been offered but I can understand why they would be.

Proposed by Tallgrass in a CUSA thread.

RE: Send out the invites: C-USA 16

Assuming Syracuse, Rutgers, and Pitt to Big Ten and Uconn (travel partner to Boston College) and West Va (travel partner to Maryland) to ACC, I have my fingers crossed that this is the outcome. It keeps travel costs low and keep them lower by playing 6 division games and only 2 crossover games within the conference:

CUSA/West with Travel Partner:

USM/Tulane

Houston/Rice

SMU/UNT

Tulsa/UTEP

CUSA/East with Travel Partner:

Cincy/Louisville

ECU/Marshall

UCF/USF

Memphis/UAB

http://ncaabbs.com/showthread.php?tid=434515

This scenario makes for a pretty tasty basketball conference.

Well, one thing that they bring is a national following, the tenth best franchise in NCAA football and attendance of 85,000 plus. That beats the snot out of most of the Big 10 schools.

I don't know that they've been offered but I can understand why they would be.

I suppose. IMO, they bring nothing other than very good revenue generation--which is probably the impetus for considering them. However, the area is no recruiting hotbed, and NU is not noted for academics.

It's great for them if it happens, I guess. They'll be another 9-3 team in the Big 10, same as they are in the Big 12, but will get a huge pay raise for their program if they join due to the Big 10's better TV contract.

I suppose. IMO, they bring nothing other than very good revenue generation--which is probably the impetus for considering them. However, the area is no recruiting hotbed, and NU is not noted for academics.

It's great for them if it happens, I guess. They'll be another 9-3 team in the Big 10, same as they are in the Big 12, but will get a huge pay raise for their program if they join due to the Big 10's better TV contract.

Believe me, I'm not trying to stir the pot but just to point out the worthiness of NU being (supposedly) selected for Big 10 expansion.

Mostly, I wanted to cite their academic figures. Of the 120 FBS universities, they rank 48th on SAT scores of incoming freshmen. Actually, they are tied with TCU, Auburn, and Syracuse and I don't recall anyone denouncing those programs academically. The median score of those four is 1175 (the oral was omitted in the study). Admittedly, that's only the incoming score. I haven't found any exiting scores or ratings but I wouldn't think that there would be a huge difference.

None of the Big 10 area is a real recruiting hotbed. Ohio and Pennsylvania may be warm beds but most of the talent comes from elsewhere.

Lastly, the Big Red travels as well as any team in the country. They are virtually the only game in the state and have a rabid following.

If those two schools were to leave, then that leaves Iowa St.(who, lets face it, are not even wanted in that conference anyway) really far away from the next closest school (Manhattan,KS?). What other midwestern schools would the big 12 draw from in order to balance the North-South alignment they currently have? If 2 more Texas schools are added, then you may as well have a "Texas" division and an "everyone else" division. I think losing these schools would be terrible for the big 12. Lose Mizzou OR Neb. and that's fine. Lose Colorado, and that's fine. But lose all 3 and you run out of Northern schools to fill out the conference.

Hey, we do have "North" in our School's name! ;)

Believe me, I'm not trying to stir the pot but just to point out the worthiness of NU being (supposedly) selected for Big 10 expansion.

Mostly, I wanted to cite their academic figures. Of the 120 FBS universities, they rank 48th on SAT scores of incoming freshmen. Actually, they are tied with TCU, Auburn, and Syracuse and I don't recall anyone denouncing those programs academically. The median score of those four is 1175 (the oral was omitted in the study). Admittedly, that's only the incoming score. I haven't found any exiting scores or ratings but I wouldn't think that there would be a huge difference.

None of the Big 10 area is a real recruiting hotbed. Ohio and Pennsylvania may be warm beds but most of the talent comes from elsewhere.

Lastly, the Big Red travels as well as any team in the country. They are virtually the only game in the state and have a rabid following.

I agree on Nebraska traveling well and having a historic football program. But they really are not up to Big 10 academic standards. If you check out the "World's Best Universities" by US News that ranks the best 400 schools in the world, Nebraska doesn't make the list at all. Michigan is 19, Northwestern is 32, Penn State is 120, Ohio is 129, Texas is 76, Rice is 100, A&M is 179. Both North Texas and Nebraska are lower than 400. The Big 10's very proud academic standards is a major reason they are so closely aligned with the Pac 10. Nebraska might get invited, but they don't really belong.