Obama Pick Elena Kagan As Supreme Court Nominee

Her political thought process is already pretty well formed. She is a part of the most liberal Presidential administration since... FDR? You don't get the solicitor general position unlwss you are completely on board with that administration. You will be arguing for that administration in front of the supreme court. The President is going to make sure that whoever holds this position is in ideological lock step with his administration.

• Upvote 1

Made a mistake, Kagan is against DADT, and went so far as to try and block military recruiters from Harvard when she was there because of DADT.

Yep, she is against DADT, but in actuality she really did not try to block military recruiters at Harvard. Today's Wall Street Journal has a pretty good (OK, a bit biased perhaps given the writer) article about that issue. I find it disturbing that Harvard took the position they did, but Kagan did not initiate that policy. However, she did favor its enforcement or so it seems. She seems to have just "gone along with the crowd" on that issue, and THAT is a bit of a concern to me.

I think this pick gets confirmed by the Senate fairly quickly and without that much debate or controversy. Too bad. For me another liberal on the bench is a bad thing! But, I know others will champion the selection. Just not much real "data" out about this pick and that's why she was selected. Political move to get the process completed before the mid-term elections.

Ok, she is has over the years kicked up a lot of attention from pro first amendment groups.

• In a signed brief in US vs Steven: “Whether a given category of speech enjoys First Amendment protection depends upon a categorical balancing of the value of the speech against its societal costs.”
  • In Citizens United vs FEC, Justice Kennedy wrote of her position: “When Government seeks to use its full power, including the criminal law, to command where a person may get his or her information or what distrusted source he or she may not hear, it uses censorship to control thought,” Kennedy wrote in the majority opinion. “This is unlawful. The First Amendment confirms the freedom to think for ourselves.”
  • Also in CU vs FEC she stated that the gov't had to right to ban books it disagreed with, when pushed on that by Justice Roberts, she backpedaled to pamphlets.

Of course, he defenders will say all this came about because as solicitor general, she had to push forward whatever the government position once, which bring me back to my first concern about her, she has never been a judge, so her real opinions are an unknown.

I have to be against her, she is young, and could be a SC Justice for 40+ years, way to much power to give to someone we know almost nothing about.

Ok, she is has over the years kicked up a lot of attention from pro first amendment groups.

• In a signed brief in US vs Steven: "Whether a given category of speech enjoys First Amendment protection depends upon a categorical balancing of the value of the speech against its societal costs."
  • In Citizens United vs FEC, Justice Kennedy wrote of her position: "When Government seeks to use its full power, including the criminal law, to command where a person may get his or her information or what distrusted source he or she may not hear, it uses censorship to control thought," Kennedy wrote in the majority opinion. "This is unlawful. The First Amendment confirms the freedom to think for ourselves."
  • Also in CU vs FEC she stated that the gov't had to right to ban books it disagreed with, when pushed on that by Justice Roberts, she backpedaled to pamphlets.

Of course, he defenders will say all this came about because as solicitor general, she had to push forward whatever the government position once, which bring me back to my first concern about her, she has never been a judge, so her real opinions are an unknown.

I have to be against her, she is young, and could be a SC Justice for 40+ years, way to much power to give to someone we know almost nothing about.

KRAM wanted me to tell you that your posts in this thread have a lot of typos in them. Please respond accordingly.

• Upvote 1

KRAM wanted me to tell you that your posts in this thread have a lot of typos in them. Please respond accordingly.

“A man must be a great fool who can’t spell a word more than one way.”

Actually I am doing some of these posts on my phone, some on an ipad, and the ones on the computer I am just to lazy to spell check most of the time.

Well, now we know who passes on all the rumors around here. You are not to be trusted. tongue.gif There goes that. I guess journalists don't know the definition of some words, like "private". And, trust is so hard to regain after you have lost it. no.gif

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Well, now we know who passes on all the rumors around here. You are not to be trusted. tongue.gif There goes that. I guess journalists don't know the definition of some words, like "private". And, trust is so hard to regain after you have lost it. no.gif

I have sources everywhere, nothing is safe from my gaze.

EVERYTHING IS REPORTED!

jb3huo.jpg

My spies enjoy 4 weeks paid vacation, matching 401k, yearly snitching bonuses and we only purge on even numbered years, so your chances of being shot for nothing are cut in half!

See, without the GIF, it's just high school gossip. Stupid censorship. It was just a shakeweight!

Despite the loss of my key source, I still filed my story with plenty of time to spare!

grandpa_simpson_yelling_at_cloud.jpg

Pure right winged ignorance. Lesbians are some of the best people in the world to sleep with. Open up your mind brah.

I guess that's all you're going to tell us, but I gave you a +1. I'd be ok if she was a lesbian. At least she doesn't remind me of the current justices, who remind me of a line from a Bob Dylan song, "Limited in sex they dare, impose fake morals, insult and stare".

I guess that's all you're going to tell us, but I gave you a +1. I'd be ok if she was a lesbian.

I'll say this much... if you at the point in life that would allow you to make a run at it, you owe it to yourself to do so.

For real brah.

Edited by Green P1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1