Interesting Unt Perspective From A Cusa Thread

Posted by Tallgrass in a thread on the new Mean Green Stadium.

UNT is the CUSA/West's version of UCF....and Houston and UTEP, the large public schools with strong academic support from state government financing, a large student enrollment, a large alumni base, and a potentially large tv audience.

USF and some BE schools perceived UCF as a threat. Now, IMO, BE probably wishes they already had invited UCF when the current BE structure was put in place. I think the situation for UNT is similar to UCF. UNT is probably now viewed as a threat by some CUSA schools; but, eventually, my guess is UNT ends up in CUSA and ends up being a huge positive for CUSA/West.

I think La Tech is marvelous; they have done so much with the resources they have. But, if CUSA/West were to expand, my vote goes to UNT. UNT provides protection in case CUSA/West lost a Houston, SMU, or UTEP....and helps with the Dallas Classic Bowl and Armed Forces Bowl.

If the hypothetical situation were to develop that CUSA did not lose any current team due to a BCS conference's expansion, then I think maybe CUSA might want to take a look at going beyond 12 members and to investigate if that would increase CUSA's tv dollars, etc. In the past, UNT could be ignored. But, now, UNT has grown both academically, sports wise, and enrollment wise to the point they cannot be ignored.

There are two schools in the neigborhood that downgraded their programs...it proved to be a terrible mistake. But UNT has now recovered but it has hurt them in that it has placed their progress years behind. UNT should be today what UCF is now. The other school that badly blundered in the neighborhood was Oral Roberts. Unlike UNT, ORU has not recovered and probably never will.

Regarding possible CUSA expansion, throw FIU in the mix with UNT for the same reasons.

THREAD - STADIUM IN THE RAW

http://ncaabbs.com/showthread.php?tid=433999

Edited by MeanGreen61

Typical SMU guy calling us NTSU in there rolleyes.gif

---It indicates that he can't read or else hasn't read anything in the past 25 years or so.

---His mind died when SMU received the NCAA "death penalty" for cheating.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66
  • Upvote 2

Question: I think a lot (if not all) of our athletic growth and success was a result of RV. If he were to leave UNT, how do you think that would affect things here? Would the CUSA (or any other conference) be hesitant on accepting us?

That would depend on where he went and who replaced him here. Depending on those things, it could actually enhance our chances of moving to CUSA if we should want to and be invited.