The Committee That Will Choose Our Next Prez

SUMG

http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/archives/2010/05/committee-to-select-the-presid.html

I know Bobby Ray supports athletics...and Ben Joyner (great fan). I don't anybody else...but there may be some other good fans on that list--I just don't know.

I'm glad Bobby Ray is committee chair. Hopefully he will be able to protect and promote Athletic's interest in this selection process. I hear it may drag out until May 2011.

This is a critical time for UNT: many on-going campus building projects including business and stadium, I-35E widening looming, trying for research dollars and Tier I status, potential hotel and conference center, and possible athletic conference changes and realignments down the road.

Michael McPherson, the guy from the Econ department, is a more than casual athletics fan. Not sure how much he follows NT sports, but he's a Michigan State alum and I remember that sports came up more than a few times in his classes.

I'm glad to see that he's going to be a part of the process.

I am concerned about the lack of academic types on the committee. Including academic administrators, I count nine. After all, the business of the university is eventually academic. I know you would like to have a broad range of people represented, but the number still seems low for an institution wanting to reach the highest level.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Michael McPherson, the guy from the Econ department, is a more than casual athletics fan. Not sure how much he follows NT sports, but he's a Michigan State alum and I remember that sports came up more than a few times in his classes.

McPherson is a good guy. I believe he did his undergrad work at Virginia so I guess he has more of an allegance to the Cavs over the Spartans. From what I remember he is a Redskins fan. GreenStreet and I had a class with him (Denis Hopavac was in that class to coincidentally) and McPherson was willing to sponsor us in starting a new Football supporting club somewhat like the Talons because a faculty sponsor is required to start any new club/organization apparently. We didn't follow through because we were too busy trying to graduate.

The most diehard Mean Green fan professors I recall having were Michael Nieswiadomy and Marcia Staff.

• Upvote 1

Backing up the McPherson love on this thread. Good dude, heckuva teacher. Had him for International Trade, and can back up everything anyone else has already said. The Redskins came up more than a few times (he's beaten, but loyal), he wore NT polos at least every other class, and it always cracked me up because he brought his stuff to class in a NT Under Armour backpack. Good guy, great teacher.

• Upvote 1

The decision that these folks make is beyond enormous. There is so much riding on it. There is not a good reason for our university to miss out on the climb to tier 1 status. The next president will be the person that takes us there, or fails completely. In the meantime, hopefully Mr. Rawlins will not flub the whole thing up.

Our love for UNT athletics is obvious, and I absolutely believe that athletics are the "window to the university"... but there are slightly more important things that the next president will need to tackle if we're to obtain tier 1 status.

Neglecting athletics will be a terrible mistake, but growing our endowment/research funding, fostering a better relationship with alumni, raising academic standards, and hiring the best faculty possible are all a little more important than our beloved athletics.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I know of a great person with university president experience, she supported academics and athletics, wore green and had a great vision for North Texas.

I welcome the day we are discussing the search committee for a new Chancellor.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 6

The decision that these folks make is beyond enormous. There is so much riding on it. There is not a good reason for our university to miss out on the climb to tier 1 status. The next president will be the person that takes us there, or fails completely. In the meantime, hopefully Mr. Rawlins will not flub the whole thing up.

Our love for UNT athletics is obvious, and I absolutely believe that athletics are the "window to the university"... but there are slightly more important things that the next president will need to tackle if we're to obtain tier 1 status.

Neglecting athletics will be a terrible mistake, but growing our endowment/research funding, fostering a better relationship with alumni, raising academic standards, and hiring the best faculty possible are all a little more important than our beloved athletics.

There is no better relationship with a school and alumni than thru athletics. I love North Texas for many reasons but if athletics were diminished I don't know that I would have much reason to visit the campus or Denton otherwise. I believe others on this board are here mainly because of support for the athletic program. Athletics is that important!

They really need this guy in the faculty list: Dr. Jack Becker

He has been at just about every NT football game I've been to - home AND away. I've seen him (and spoke with him, he's a great guy) at Baylor (away) Texas Tech (away - including the win).

I remember him from one of my BCIS classes. He made the funniest noise, and some of us made it a point to count the number of times he made it. You could tell he got excited about something he was teaching as he made the noise several times in quick succession.

McPherson is a good guy. I believe he did his undergrad work at Virginia so I guess he has more of an allegance to the Cavs over the Spartans. From what I remember he is a Redskins fan. GreenStreet and I had a class with him (Denis Hopavac was in that class to coincidentally) and McPherson was willing to sponsor us in starting a new Football supporting club somewhat like the Talons because a faculty sponsor is required to start any new club/organization apparently. We didn't follow through because we were too busy trying to graduate.

The most diehard Mean Green fan professors I recall having were Michael Nieswiadomy and Marcia Staff.

Quitters.

• Upvote 1

elevating athletics to an even greater level would be the best investment the school could make. that would go far and above some academic areas as far as exposure to media and alums. In return would be far more donations. don't short sell athletics on importance to a school's image or lack of

Edited by LoveMG
  • Upvote 1