Interesting Article - Fau's Smith Picked Vs Troy's Brown

MeanGreen61

"There were a lot of things in the paper that my parents read that said they were interested in me and a lot of stuff on talk radio. Then, they take a quarterback from the same conference as me, not the guy from their own back yard."

Dear Mr. Brown,

NFL teams don't generally take draft advice from newspapers and talk radio stations. Shut up and prove you can run an NFL-style offense against NFL talent and speed. Then, all doubts will be erased.

Love,

The Fake Lonnie Finch

Sheesh...how is this guy going to handle real pressure if he can't even take a guy being picked ahead of him? Wonder if this dude goes in for manicures and pedicures as well. Awfully catty for a man to carry on in such a manner.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

"There were a lot of things in the paper that my parents read that said they were interested in me and a lot of stuff on talk radio. Then, they take a quarterback from the same conference as me, not the guy from their own back yard."

Dear Mr. Brown,

NFL teams don't generally take draft advice from newspapers and talk radio stations. Shut up and prove you can run an NFL-style offense against NFL talent and speed. Then, all doubts will be erased.

Love,

The Fake Lonnie Finch

Sheesh...how is this guy going to handle real pressure if he can't even take a guy being picked ahead of him? Wonder if this dude goes in for manicures and pedicures as well. Awfully catty for a man to carry on in such a manner.

Totally agree TFLF.

• Upvote 1

Another reason Tennessee probably took Smith over Brown is that they put a premium on education and a player's ability to learn, two things not required to enter Troy U. :huh:

*cough* Vince Young *cough*

Although I doubt we ever do a suicide sweep for Rusty Smith, but I used to say the same thing about Roman Lyashenko.

*cough* Vince Young *cough*

Although I doubt we ever do a suicide sweep for Rusty Smith, but I used to say the same thing about Roman Lyashenko.

I was thinking the same thing about Vince Young. But, the hype on that guy was so huge after Texas' first national championship using a racially mixed team that his ability to learn wasn't questioned. And, here's where we examine the overused, but little understood phrase "athletic ability."

To some, and it seems many, "athletic ability" for a quarterback simply means that he can run when under pressure. Yes, you hear it all the time. Everytime there is a quarterback who can't throw worth a lick or has no touch on his passes or is wildly inaccurate, he is given a pass if he has the "athletic ability" to run out of the pocket.

Well, the problem there is, you're playing football, not running track. And, at the NFL level, most defensive ends can outrun any quarterback - yes, even Vince Young. So, then you have to dig deeper into a quarterback's "athletic ability."

I argue that part of that "athletic ability" includes the ability to learn different offenses. Learning is an ability. Or, at least that's what we've led to believe by people who say that some have learning disabilities, right? You either have the ability to learn at the same pace of the masses, or you don't.

At any rate, whatever this Brown guy's beef is, it's ridiculous from a number of standpoints. We've pointed out the obvious (what mom and dad read and heard as a basis for expectations). Another is, either one of them will be a longshot to make the roster and begin their career of turning their cap backward, holding a clipboard, and polishing up some new approaches to the higher brand of gold diggers in and around the greater Nashville area.

So, if you are Tennesse, and you've had your little failed experiment with believing that "athletic ability" just means the guy can run, you are probably going to make your quarterback choices based on whether or not the guy knows a real pro-style offense and whether or not he can added to his existing knowledge thereof...at least for your clipboard holding quarterback.

Hey...look at Jason Garrett. The guy parlayed the role of intelligent clipboard holder into a pretty good coaching career.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch